BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
The answer to your question is no.

Because our mode of transportation only has two tires I don't want to rely on electronics to tell me the tire is low on air pressure. One of the things I do before every ride is check the tire pressure. Once on the road, a casual kick to both tires will tell me if the pressure is still up. In fact, on long road trips, I put the bike on the centerstand to gas up and while it's up there, I rotate the back tire and look for things that might be stuck in the tire and cause problems.

My '04 Acura MDX came with a tire monitor system and it's come in handy two times so far, catching impending flats before they became a big problem along the side of the road. The system works when one tire drops 3 pounds lower than the others.

·
Registered
228 Posts
jay_hansen said:
The answer to your question is no.

Because our mode of transportation only has two tires I don't want to rely on electronics to tell me the tire is low on air pressure. One of the things I do before every ride is check the tire pressure. Once on the road, a casual kick to both tires will tell me if the pressure is still up. In fact, on long road trips, I put the bike on the centerstand to gas up and while it's up there, I rotate the back tire and look for things that might be stuck in the tire and cause problems.

My '04 Acura MDX came with a tire monitor system and it's come in handy two times so far, catching impending flats before they became a big problem along the side of the road. The system works when one tire drops 3 pounds lower than the others.
Jay I'm not enough of the techno maven to explain the whys and such, but I'm told that electronic tire pressure measuring systems are inherently more accurate than other systems. Including the well known educated toe. :))

That said, Paul Glaves installed the tire pressure measuring system mentioned here. He wrote an article on it in a MOAN this spring. Hope that it makes it to the web site. But as I recall, the installation of this unit was trying. Not something for the inexperienced.

gbm

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yes I'm using it on my R11RS and have another system to install on my K12RS soon. It works great and provides much peace of mind. Ever riding along and the pavement gets squirrley and you wonder if you might have a tire going down? Push the button and tire pressure and Temperature are immediately displayed. It polls tire parameters every 8 seconds. It also tells you when you need to add air before the next ride.
I would hate to be without it.

To be polite, I want to respectfully disagree with Jay. Since this is a biker site and you don't always have to be polite, I'm come right out and say that Jay is full of sh*t. Don't take it personally.

cheers,
jerry

·
Registered
264 Posts
jay_hansen said:
One of the things I do before every ride is check the tire pressure. Once on the road, a casual kick to both tires will tell me if the pressure is still up. In fact, on long road trips, I put the bike on the centerstand to gas up and while it's up there, I rotate the back tire and look for things that might be stuck in the tire and cause problems.

how do you kick your tires while moving?

Why do you check for road hazards only on long trips? A flat tire will crash you on the way to the hardware store just as bad as it will on a long trip. And you probably ride more total miles on short trips than long trips. Real time monitoring is the way to go and you're working way too hard at resisting. Cheers, jerry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.