BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found just about all of the parts that I need to finish my '85 K100LT with one exception. I cannot find the rubber piece (snorkel) which fits between the air intake horn and the grill in the radiator cover. :confused: It does not appear to exist in any of the fiche drawings.
One of my local dealers tried but came to the same conclusion. :dunno:
Does anyone have an idea?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link WayneDW but it just takes you to Max's version of the same fische drawings that we have been searching through.
In which drawing did you find it?
It does not show where any of us would expect.
It is not in the drawing which shows the intake horn or in the drawing which shows the radiator trim. (Kind of crazy as the rubber snorkel goes between these.)
My local dealer special ordered a part shown in the Casing Upper Part/Headlight drawing but it was not correct.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Maybe we aren't talking about the same part. If you type in the part number I suggested it should take you straight to the correct picture.

Let's try this link:

air intake pics

Edit: Yes, that one works. Isn't that what you are looking for? By the way, according to these, the K100LT didn't come out until July of 1986??

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We are getting closer to being on the same page.
I need the rubber part which goes between the air intake horn and the radiator grill.
My original rubber between the air horn and air cleaner box is good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man, I need more coffee.
I have an RT not an LT. :D
According to RealOEM, (using my VIN) my bike is from build 513 built in late '84
Sorry for the goosechase.

·
PsyKotic Waterfowl
1,353 Posts
I've messed with a lot of K bikes and I've never seen any gasket between the snorkel and radiator grill - in real life or on the parts diagrams. I think you're chasing a part that never existed - and it wouldn't matter if it were missing even if it did exist.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, it exists. I still have what is left of the original attached to my radiator cover.
I will try to post a photo later tonight.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I happened to have that part from my bike off and handy so took a picture of it. It is similar but different. Smaller and not rubber (hard plastic).

Part # 46631451581

Fiche number 46 on the MaxBMW site "radiator trim"

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine also has the hard plastic grill.
The mystery rubber boot is attached.

I guess that when I put everything back together mine will look like yours. :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
I know the part you're asking about. It connects the small plastic grid in the radiator surround
and the plastic snorkel. It went NLA years ago. If you found a new one on a dealer's shelf, it would probably be ready to fall apart.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is interesting.
I think that I am going to try and create a substitute.
It may be a while as I still have many, many parts to clean/paint/polish/lube first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I lost mine on a break down coming back from the initial purchase. I knew it was missing just from taking it off that one time. I knew I didn't dream it but I've never been able to find it on a parts diagram. I could have sworn mine was the same material as the snorkel and not made of rubber thou.

I fixed a replacement but I've always looked for another.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts