BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
No, it's just quiet in here. :)

The BMW Dealers are meeting in Atlanta this week and riding demo bikes. Demos will be rolled out to US dealers in May, customer bikes have already landed in Canada, and some European customers have already received their bikes.

There's lots more info (including some customer and dealer ride reports) at the K1600GT/GTL forum over at BMWLT.com. Or you could look though K16GTL.com and K1600forum.com.

·
Addict-oholic
1,416 Posts
My dealer has it!

Florian said:
my dealer has his GTL now...

F
Max of NH, Troy, NY & Danbury,CT said that on Tuiesday he will be showing and demoing the new bikes. I will be there on Thursday for service. I usually get a loaner for the day ( some 800cc POS). Do you think they will "loan" me the new 1600 for the day.? I will not care if it is a GT or GTL.

·
Addict-oholic
1,416 Posts
Florian said:
my dealer gave me the GTL for a day ride...he told me to flog it hard and ride the snot out of it...which I did. What a great bike! Cant wait for mine to show up.

F
Yes, I did the test ride on a1600GT. Great bike, I can wait another year or two as my 1300 is just fabulous and no kninks anymore. Hopefully the 1600 will turn out as nice. see my ride report somewhere else on this forum.

·
Registered
200 Posts
SoCal GTL

Irv Seaver has a blue GTL now. Got to listen to it and with many others admire it. A test showed about 70 MPH at @3000 RPM. Hand on engine when rev'ing is very smooth, no vibration. Aside from pre-orders they had about 5 other deposits. Shades of when the first oil-head was released.

My test drive is scheduled for next Friday. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
beavtm said:
Irv Seaver has a blue GTL now. Got to listen to it and with many others admire it. A test showed about 70 MPH at @3000 RPM. Hand on engine when rev'ing is very smooth, no vibration. Aside from pre-orders they had about 5 other deposits. Shades of when the first oil-head was released.

My test drive is scheduled for next Friday. :)
Once you test ride, you will be wanting one as well. The 1600 is not really that big, the front is almost as wide as the RT. On the pictures it looks big and heavy. It is really a good replacement for our K1200 or K1300GT. Seat is narrow and low on the GTL so you can flat foot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Australian release is now scheduled for June, but early/late June isn't being committed!

I bit the bullet and ordered a GT today: ours are coming 'fully optioned', although the top box for the GT is an eye watering $A2300 :yeow: Then another $A460 for the brake light on the top box....... :eek: That's about $US2500 and $US500 on current rates: don't even ask what the bike is costing.

I always was a bit of a masochist ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
My buddy rode one in Ft. Lauderdale and gave it high marks for handling, sound and braking. Audio system was a little bit unimpressive. His biggest complaint, which was talked about in Cycle World lead story this month, was the hesitation on the Fly-by-wire throttle. When downshifting, he noted that like me, he pops the throttle to get the gears in sync at the moment of downshifting. He noted that there is a very annoying throttle hesitation. Cycle World attributed this to the long throttle body throat. This would annoy me. I still am a fan of the K12 and K13GTs. If it only had a radio.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
BMW never has put a decent radio on their bikes compared to a Wing or Harley. I recall when I had XM Radio they did something that made it sound even worse when they added a lot more channels, probably compression so I'm curious as to how the Sirius Radio will sound on the demo I saw. I got away from XM Radio when they began their automatic tapping of my bank account and the rates always went up unless you threatened to cancel and then they'd go back down. Reminded me of some car salesman game.

I don't know how it will sound in their Schuberth built for their Bluetooth. I've had enough of charging up Bluetooth helmet batteries ahead of time to go for a ride which is a requirement. Even more annoying is them going dead mid-ride, especially since more volume equals shorter run time and then you have nothing. They need to get the batteries to last longer than one day, maybe a week since you will have to haul a charger for anything longer. Plus, I've got no less than NINE helmets I rotate through depending on conditions: flips, fulls, half, colors, passengers, etc. and trying to BT them all to one bike would be futile. Maybe there will be a cable for the standard Autocom or whatever hard-wiring that sounds better than BT anyway.

Mack

·
Registered
84 Posts
A local club member picked up his GTL on Friday. Said he'd be in for the 600 mile service on Tuesday :).

Beautiful machine, with a very distinctive sound.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
My dealer is wanting me to ride theirs badly. I don't want to as I know where that leads, often to the bank (ugh!). Same happened on the S1000RR I rode. Ordered it the same day.

However, he did admit that even though the K1600GTL was fast and sounds nice, he was surprised there was quite a bit of turbulence behind the shield. The radio is very poor - as to be expected for BMW - and he didn't have their $1000 helmet on with Bluetooth so he couldn't comment if it would sound any better than say a Harley or Gold Wing even without their helmet com system in it. BMW is very weak on audio to say the least.

I was sort of surprised he did say the Victory Vision touring bike had a virtual dead zone of turbulence when ridden after the K1600GTL. His shirt wasn't flapping at all on the Vision and on the GTL it was all over the place which surprised him. He said the GTL knee position bothered him too and maybe the taller seat would help but didn't know if the turbulence would get worse. Needed lower pegs or a taller seat, so he said. He liked the little chrome flip-out wings for getting more air to him when hot though.

He also said the K1600GTL wavered around the highway and it may be due to the wind causing it to waver as well as the turbulence he felt on his chest. Felt like it was riding in rain grooves. He did bust it open to 102 MPH without any hesitation and it took the road bumps, construction plates, and potholes nicely though. He said it was a true sport tourer.

Victory is the "least likely to break down bikes on the road" according to the JD Powers studies, but one needs to adjust to their looks. If they can get the Indian lineup (Polaris bought them a month ago and will build their engines too, Iowa I think he said) then they should hold up well too. Polaris's scheme is to get a whole lot of their dealers to get them and that should lower the price down from a starting of $34,000 to maybe $24,000 if the can get the volume up with their better dealer network. They are trying to push for a "More American made" image than H-D (good luck with that image thing H-D has touted for so long.).

Oh, I heard the new Harley 2012 lineup is coming out 2 months earlier this year from the H-D shop owner. Dealer has been trying to order stock and he's not getting any more 2011 models so the 2012 series may show up as early as June now. He thinks they may move all their engines to the 103 inch size and maybe keep a few 96 inchers around for the "Economy model." He sold all his $42,000 110 inch CVO's already - although one showed up at auction (divorce created by it maybe?) last month and a Toyota car dealer bought it cheap.

Mack

·
Registered
7 Posts
GMack said:
I don't know how it will sound in their Schuberth built for their Bluetooth.
About the same as a Scala Rider G4. Same device. Upside is the Schuberth is suppose to be a very quite helmet. I wouldn't know since my ear buds attenuate 27db and I can hear the orchestra turn their pages!

GMack said:
I've had enough of charging up Bluetooth helmet batteries ahead of time to go for a ride which is a requirement. Even more annoying is them going dead mid-ride, especially since more volume equals shorter run time and then you have nothing.
Talk to me about Autocom. If you can be tethered, I can work with you on a new system, a used Logic?

If someone still likes the Bluetooth idea, I've got 2 Scala Rider G4's and 2 Chatterbox GMRS/Bluetooth Rigs in the junk drawer.

-- Matt

1 - 16 of 16 Posts