BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday (Saturday) I placed my deposit on a blue K1200GT SE. Delivery date 1st September. Can't wait to pick it up although the weather in southern UK has turned awful!

Traded my 24 month old K1200RS with 25k miles. Got a good P/X so very happy.

This forum looks like a great place, but I wonder how many members are in the UK?

A question if I may...

My KRS had a pyramid plastics hugger which I fitted on day 1. Do you think these new GTs require the same and if so where can I source? What does the lower end of the shock look like after a few thousand miles?

Happy riding

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi
I'm from the uk as well, bit new to this forum as well but it's great for any help or questions that you may have. You're lucky not having to wait long from order to delivery, as i've been waiting since June for my K12 to arrive and i'm picking mine up the same day. It's been murder waiting for the bike to arrive especially with the excellent recent weather in the uk.

Anyway all the best

Great riding

Tim

·
Registered
279 Posts
Congrats to you both!

I think you'll find a wealth of info around here, Let us know when your bikes arrive.
Absolutely the best motorcycle I have ever had the pleasure of ridding.
The wait will be worth it.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
kdouggt said:
What does the lower end of the shock look like after a few thousand miles?
Just turned 6K yesterday (in my 7th week of ownership) and went out to the garage to take a look. The rear shock is doing just fine without a hugger. BMW has done a pretty good job with the OEM setup. Not much dirt can get to it really. I'm not sure a hugger's necessary. But, they may be a subjective thing.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sudden increase in UK GT Owners

Welcome to the forum. I'm also hoping to pick up my new GT (CGM) on 1 Sep, having traded in my LT. Seems there's going to be a sudden increase in the number of UK GTs on the roads in the South around that time. :ricky

Whereabouts in Southern England are you, and which dealer are you using? Just curious. I use CW Motorcycles in Dorchester - fabulous dealer, very helpful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still excited!

I was lucky as my dealer (SPC Alton Hampshire) had pre-ordered the bike. I came into the deal around 2 weeks prior to delivery.

I have specified the 49 litre top-box and a non- BMW alarm system as extras. Moved the price up a bit but I think it will be worth it.

The test ride was fantastic. The bike feels and rides like it weighs 25% less than my old KRS. Not too sure about the clunky gearchange and 'jolt' between deccelaration and accelaration. Will have to monitor as the mileage increases.

Will post an image or two when I have picked her up.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great place to hang out.

To answer your question:

During my recent tour of Spain/Portugal and France we encountered a fair bit of rain through the Picos mountains and after examining the bike, my and my pillions boots I have decided that it really does need a rear hugger. I think it's the fact that the fat rear tyre throws up so much water and debris it gets flung about the bike, the riders and exhaust. Such a pain to clean!

My dealership (North Oxford Garage) sell CF ones for about £180 and I plan to purchase one asap as well as a front fender extender as soon as I find someone that makes one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers for the information

Like you, I believe a hugger improves the 'spray management' of the bike.

I travel up on the a34 quite often and will call in next time and order one.

Rgds

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Good to hear so many guys from the South of England are now getting their new GTs. FWIW I bought mine from North Oxford Garage in May after shooing away my Blackbird ( sigh!!) I have done over 3500 miles now and still delighted, apart from low speed fuelling issues. NOG say they hope to get the software upgrade soon ( some peoples definition of soon doesn't match mine!) so hope the bike will be even better after upgrade. Don't think I need a hugger yet, but will wait until Winter takes a hold, then decide.

Enjoy,

Terry

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
exBBrider said:
Good to hear so many guys from the South of England are now getting their new GTs. FWIW I bought mine from North Oxford Garage in May after shooing away my Blackbird ( sigh!!) I have done over 3500 miles now and still delighted, apart from low speed fuelling issues. NOG say they hope to get the software upgrade soon ( some peoples definition of soon doesn't match mine!) so hope the bike will be even better after upgrade. Don't think I need a hugger yet, but will wait until Winter takes a hold, then decide.

Enjoy,

Terry
Terry,

What you did not like about your BB comparing to GT?

TIA

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How odd? I too, have come from a Blackbird, to the 04RS and now onto an 06GT.

IMHO the Blackbird remains the best bike I have ever ridden. I owned it for 2 years, covered 30k miles, and loved every minute. In true Honda efficiency, the only parts I replaced were lubricants, filters, brake pads and tyres. The ride was awesome with breathtaking performance and handling. I went through hell when deciding to sell it. To top it all, the dealer I exchanged it through sold it on to a crook who 'stole' my identity and committed a series of traffic offences, culminating in an arrest!

So the Blackbird experience was a pleasure, the selling not so.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too had to do some heart searching to part with the Blackbird. I loved the performance, reliability and the looks. My local dealer was also 1st class. However..... SWMBO did not like being a pillion. Even with a top box on she felt insecure, the pillion handholds were in the wrong position for her and as she is tall the pillion pegs did not give her enough leg room without severe cramp setting in Sooo.. altho the BB is a brilliant machine it loses out to the K-GT. This machine goes almost as fast as the BB, is more comfortable on a long trip (we did 2200miles around Europe in June in 8 days - no problem). It has more bells and whistles - eg the cruise control is so useful, and the ESA gets a real thumbs up as I can adapt the bike to my need for speed or relaxation on a given day.

In summary the K-GT just has the edge over the BB, I only wish I could afford both!!

Terry

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
Thank you, guys!
We are in a family discussion about new bike for our son.
He likes the BB. And I do not want to insist on KS - let it be his choice. But to be on the safe side...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have an all day test ride booked this Friday on the GT at the dealers in Reading. Anyone have any feedback on this dealer or the one in North Oxford?

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
stevedo said:
I have an all day test ride booked this Friday on the GT at the dealers in Reading. Anyone have any feedback on this dealer or the one in North Oxford?

Thanks
Steve
No experience with that dealer, but one bit of advice. Bring your wallet! :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
messenger13 said:
No experience with that dealer, but one bit of advice. Bring your wallet! :D
I've kind of resigned myself to the fact that it will be an expensive day ;)

However, I still have to test the FJR1300 and I'm taking out a R1200RT on Saturday from the same dealer. I currently have an R1100RSSE owned from new by me since 1995. Looking forward to riding these new machines :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
stevedo said:

Thanks
Steve
Some recent news re Coopers Reading, I believe they are to close their mototcycle franchise quite soon.

I used to deal with them extensively (I live about 6 miles from them) but I bought my new KGT from North Oxford Garage (NOG).

I'll leave you to ponder why but I am delighted with the service and very friendly reception I get from NOG when I visit and haven't regretted my choice of dealer even though NOG is about 40 miles from me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
BMKrider said:
Some recent news re Coopers Reading, I believe they are to close their mototcycle franchise quite soon.

I used to deal with them extensively (I live about 6 miles from them) but I bought my new KGT from North Oxford Garage (NOG).

I'll leave you to ponder why but I am delighted with the service and very friendly reception I get from NOG when I visit and haven't regretted my choice of dealer even though NOG is about 40 miles from me.
Thanks for that, very enlightening. They told me they have submitted a planning application to enlarge the motorcycle side of things (probably just a ploy after I asked him why I should buy fropm them and not North Oxford). I live in Goring so not a long trek for me to Oxford.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nog

I will second BMKrider's opinion of NOG. They have been very helpful and friendly. However.. I am still awaiting notification of the upgrade. I have been phoning them weekly now- I am sure they must be getting fed up with me!! Can't comment on Coopers though.

Terry

1 - 20 of 26 Posts