BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I recently happened upon a '99 K1200RS (only 13,xxx miles!) near me for what I hope is a decent price, $3000. I was sold on the test ride...it was just so smooth and powerful (I suppose many bikes are compared to my '86 K75).

Previous owner put very few miles on it (he never even transferred the title), which makes sense, this guy had about 12 bikes, a Porsche, and a '71 Dodge Charger.

I called the local BMW dealer (Mischler's in Beaver Dam, WI) and they said all recall work was done, but last work was in CA, so no service records. I figure I'll do a good service (oil all around, spark plugs, brake/clutch fluid, etc.). A couple of questions that I am having trouble finding answers to.

1) Does the exhaust look stock? It is decently loud, especially since many reviews talk about how quiet it is. Sounds nice...

2) Below the instrument panel, there are what look like ethernet ports. I can't trace the wires very far with the fairing on, but they look like they are going under the gauges. Any ideas?

Any tips or tricks or threads you think are important would be much appreciated! I love to do my own service and with the service manual, that should be pretty manageable.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Not stock for sure the exhaust.Phillips screws look a little pokey.....I wonder how they reattached the cap after cutting the end off?

One concern would be melting the sidecase with a shortened exhaust.

Ports aren't stock for sure.You'll have to follow the wiring and make sure it is wired correctly and tapped on power supply at the right place?I am always very weary of PO's electrical work but if done correctly that circuit would be useable.

Manual? Get the Clymer.:smile

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good call on the sidecase; I'll definitely keep an eye on that.

Again not sure on the port; I've included a closer picture below. Not sure what that would have been used for. Maybe there is power to it, I'll check it out later.

Other than that; loving this bike! If you even think about rolling on the throttle, you're over the speed limit!

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
The Passport Radar Detector I had years ago used those kind of power ports. I'm sure you could adapt any kind of device to use those. I don't like that they aren't protected from water.

Frank

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I see Red and Black wires from them ports going back to battery?Fuse box? Pull the seat you'll probably see them.

Riding salty roads? :grin I also see telltales salt stains on your bike? Not the greatest for some of them BMW electrical components/connectors the salt.This is very good.....kills the green corrosion on contact amd protects for a very long time.Cheap too that little pump bottle will last for years:

https://fortnine.ca/en/acf-50-corrosion-block

Exhaust? That sure looks like a fresh cut....metal still shiny but the black coating on the cap is peeling off?Heat may be misdirected some.Pull the cap off and look.....I hope they didn't use sheet metal screws to hold the cap.....they'd probably rattle loose.

Even in factory form......do not put anything wrapped in plastic bags against the lower inner left bag,plastic may (will) melt.:sad

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips!

I've risen a couple of times now...what a pleasure, especially after reviewing the Master Yoda riding position. Also, if I even think about accelerating, I'm breaking the speed limit!

Those ports, upon some investigation, definitely seem like radar detector power ports...probably will need one!

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Well.....they didn't give me an award in Wisconsin last year.Too many cops on the road and morons were out just before July4th so I rerouted North and did not take the old SS Badger across the lake for old time's sake.:sad

GPS average speed over 10 days/5000 miles runs West-East and back a comfortable 60Mph and not much slab if any! Mind you if I slab that's I-90 in Montana/Wyoming and +6000Rpms,gas up every 80 minutes?:angel

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well.....they didn't give me an award in Wisconsin last year.Too many cops on the road and morons were out just before July4th so I rerouted North and did not take the old SS Badger across the lake for old time's sake.:sad

GPS average speed over 10 days/5000 miles runs West-East and back a comfortable 60Mph and not much slab if any! Mind you if I slab that's I-90 in Montana/Wyoming and +6000Rpms,gas up every 80 minutes?:angel
Ha, that sounds like a good trip!

I hear ya on the slab riding. Luckily, I hail from the "driftless" area (western WI) with some beautiful twisty county roads (the alphabet roads, named with letters) that are "unregulated" so to speak. Not much other traffic either, just watch out for tractors and deer. If you are ever in WI with some time, there are some great rides to be had in this area.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
I came across the same great deal for a 2000, I
have lowered pegs, raised bars just a bit, cleaned off the bag mounts
as I don't use them. got a brand new windshield from BMW, as it was not perfectly clear
after 20 years.

You need to have stainless brake lines, as all the old rubber ones fail with time.

there is a specific place your BMW mechanic can drill a hole, so if your
main seal ever leaks a bit, it wont get all over the clutch. I took me a few dealers,
to find a senior tech, who would even work on a K bike, and knew just were to drill.
cost me $160 while I waited at the dealer one morning, would be good insurance as the clutch
is way expansive to fix.

yes its a smooth rocket,

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Your ethernet tape ports are more than likely 12 V power ports to run things like radar detectors. Definitely Not stock.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I never heard of that hole drilling fix, can you post a pic? I doubt it is well known!
First time I heard about the drill hole, I would like to know more also. I have switch my 2004 back to dino oil as I was told that synthetic can seep through the older rubber seals.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The hole isn't really a fix per se for anything, it is just a small (1/8 in.) hole drilled at the low point at the bottom of the clutch bellhousing. Later bikes, I understand, came with them from the factory. I thought I had a pic from when I did my RMS, but sorry, I do not. What the hole does do though, is give an escape for leaking engine oil or clutch fluid so that it doesn't build up and soak the clutch. You as the owner are responsible for checking that drain hole before each ride to make sure you don't have a seal issue somewhere thus giving you no excuse to be stranded somewhere with no clutch and giving you time to plan/save up for your next major maintenance expense.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here is a picture I took today after removing the belly pan,
from the right side.

Looks like this 2000 had a hole already and my mechanic drilled another,
where he thought was a better spot.

I assume the new hole he drilled has the shinny insides, and
the other was already there.

This is just insurance against any small main seal leak, getting all over the
clutch, instead you get a drop or 2 on the floor.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Early Ks such as my K100RS had a weep hole.Find oil there,time to do the clutch job.Or as I did back then buy a new BMW to go Alaska way and fix the K later?:grin

And if the usual most common clutch O-ring leak.....clutch will get oiled anyway.

And if the slave leaks brake fluid into the bellhousing via the pushrod....transmission seals will fail.BTW clutch slave cavity in the transmission should also be drilled for a weep hole.Just can't be done in place!

Eh.....I just found that Oring when cleaning up. I replaced it preventively 11yrs ago with a Viton. Was all dried out and cracked at 40,000kms.Would have failed on the road? Probably a long way from my shop......!

Yep....I pat the belly of the beast once in a while.Not too worried about finding any oil there.My main seal? Now at 250,000 kms and the Viton Oring is at 160,000.Didn't even touch either when I replaced my clutch pack a couple years ago!:devil:

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
As to the rear main seal there were production changes in early 2000? Not sure if I can track that one 20 yrs later but a safe bet is that most post 2000 would have the updated seal as did my 03?Not particularily know to fail them good Teflon seals but yeah there is always a possibility.

As for the pesky transmission seals,there were also updates from Kaco the BMW seal supplier.I caught my transmission seal at the slave just in time back then.Leaky but gear lube hadn't touched the slave seals which would have destroyed them thus disabling the clutch and then sending brake fluid toward the bellhousing to further destroy the other seals.

As to the infamous clutch Oring which is usually causing the leak,right in the middle of the clutch assembly,seals the splined clutch carrier onto the engine output shaft. So by the time oil may find its way down via a weep hole it may also have contaminated the clutch.That is of course if leaking when riding not parked in the garage!

Infamous Oring did get a part number change from BMW back then.Led many into proclaiming that the new Oring was now a much better Viton type.It isn't so.If replacing that Oring one has to source it somewhere else than a dealer!

Now? Which is cheaper? Wait for leaks or do the seals/Oring/slave inspection,bearings lube preventively and inspect the clutch which probably doesn't need replacing if never abused or oiled?Grease/oils/cleaners and my time is cheap.....not so BMW parts!:glasses

1 - 17 of 17 Posts