BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

So I rode the S1000RR...

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  iehawk 
#1 ·
02/02/10 - Brief First ride. Two words: direct connection.

Initial impression: it's nimble and linear, great throttle and brake feel. Gear shift is solid and positive, then add the Quick Shift Assist. It's easy to get used to and to go fast. The DTC works great at keeping the bike tamed.

Then there's the sound... pure mechanical, sharp and crisp tone. There's a bit of a rumble you can hear as it passes by. It's a bit different than the Big 4's.

Riding on the freeway, the bike settled in really well at speed. 70 MPH is at 5000 RPM, stock suspension setup is compliant, even while going on 85S from 101S - I could barely feel the 'washboard' there. It works great for me (165lbs).

I did the wiggle test on the street going back, around the back streets a bit, took turns and all. It's nimble, but no initial drop when you turn. What I feel is light and a bit more linear; yet still easy to pick up and change direction.

The main thing you feel in the RAIN mode is softer and a lot more relaxed throttle response. It's literally like there's a rubber band in there to make sure that you don't snap it wide open and break traction. It actually feels a bit lazy in this mode. But considering what it's intended use for, I'm glad it's there. :)

SPORT mode is a good all around, feels just like any other sportsbikes out there that way.

Then up to RACE mode, the throttle feel is a bit sharper and more direct.

I'm not a fast rider by any means, but the bike feels very solid tracking sweepers and onramps, with inputs from throttle is noticeably smoothen out by the DTC.

I've only ridden 09 Daytona 675, 07 CBR600RR, 03 Gixxer 1000, and 04 RSV Mille. So, in my very limited experience, I'd say it does feel like the CBR600RR. It doesn't feel as big as the RSV Mille. Probably in between (closer to) the 675 and Gixxer.

More to come! :teeth

Second Ride - 02/03/10

To SJSU Spartan Meet, Starbucks, Tully Road - Capitol Expressway. 6:30pm.

I got more time to get to know the three ride modes. I spent the first half of the ride on SPORT mode. Smooth and responsive throttle across the range.

Suspension setup is very compliant for the street, works great on the bumpy 101S from Mt. View to Tully Road exit.

Power, it likes to go from 5000 RPM up. The engine also becomes smoother passing the same RPM. Rolling the throttle from 2500 RPM is fine, no bog down or throttle jerk.

There was heavy traffic half way there. I switched to the RACE mode and found that I like the throttle response better. Seems easier to get out of way if needed with the quicker response. It feels more hard-wired into the brain.

On the way home, I played around with the RAIN mode. There is just no shaking up this mode. The throttle response is just numbed down. Even when I snap the throttle, the bike doesn't 'jump'. Just one gentle and linear flow of power. It doesn't feel 150 HP. Maybe when it's taken up pass 8000 RPM.

Maybe during the next ride.

About the headlights

Those headlights work great! The low beam has an even pattern, a bit wide too, instead of just a spot. If I own one, I'd raise it a bit, closer to the horizon line.

The high beam lits up everything above the low beam. You can see it just go on and continue on from the low beam upper limit. All road signs and reflectors lit up.

See less See more
#2 ·
I think the bike is on par or even a touch less hp than the strongest japanese bikes below 8000 rpms.

It's not till 10000+ that this thing just blows the doors off the others.

Then it's still got 4000 rpms right?

#3 ·
Yup, it's so linear as it is. It feels more like the 1200/1300 engine in terms of the mid-range feel. I honestly can't really tell the difference in acceleration. It does make more sound than the 1200/1300. It feels more raw and mechanical.

The sound... finally, BMW got it right. :)

#4 ·
In the rain

So I went up to Alice's Restaurant (Woodside, CA) on Sunday, 02/21/10. I knew it was going to rain, but the forecast said not until 3pm, thought I could have a bit fun before that. I left home at 10:30 and entered the rain just before going up, entering the twisties. Too late to turn around, might as well turn it into a test. :)

Words that came to my mind:

• Usable power
  • Confidence inspiring
  • Can push more
  • Great engine brake (on the way back downhill)
  • Excellent throttle feel
  • Very balanced
  • Hard to shake off
  • Rain mode feels just right
It took me 14 minutes to go up Hwy 9 (crawling; a local motorcycle road), but it was without much drama. The rear wiggled a few times, but just for a fraction of a second, not even enough to freak you out. The first concern came to my mind was the tires' performance in wet, but it went to the back of my mind pretty quick. Before I know it, I was giving it more gas and playing it smooth. The system did a good job and keeping the bike pointed where I wanted it to go. No blowing the line, etc.

Anyone familiar with Hwy 9 knows what I'm talking about... I was going through the twisties part at speed limit and could open up a bit more on the straights. The bike instilled that much confidence.

Hwy 9 to Hwy 35 to Alice's: http://gps.bmw-motorrad.com/drawings/887 (minus the Woodside part).

After spending about 30 minutes at Alice's Restaurant warming and drying up, I took the same way home. Going downhill, one thing really caught my attention, the engine braking. It's so good that I could leave it on third, around 3000 RPM, and just coasted down. I tapped the brake a couple times when the sign said 15-20 MPH curves, but that's it.

I spent half a day today riding around the next day (dry Monday), running errands, stop and go traffic. I admit it doesn't feel as flexible and comfortable as riding the K1200R, but it's pretty damn close. Certain things are trade offs from one bike to the other. If you have a track day or two in mind, you'll live on this bike just fine.

It's so easy to ride and settle into, even in the rain. I imagine the DTC will trickle down to the other models, even adopted by other brands. It works really well, especially combined with the rain mode map and throttle response.

The next generation bike is here.

Sorry if it's a bit all over the place... still brainstorming. :teeth

Attachments

#5 ·
I sure do like that bike.

For the riding I do however, I think the 06K12S I have is fine if I can get the idle to settle down (PCIII will be installed). Especially since it's probably not worth a whole lot on the market (68k miles).

I really like the 1300ks too but just can't justify the cost of changing bikes.

I plan to put 300k on this 06K12S if there are no major failures that are not economical.

I'm going to order some parts from pirate to make it a bit nicer, I really like the shift levers he sells and also a new windscreen.

But...I just can't take my eyes off that 1000, long as I don't go and put my arse on the seat I should be able to hold back :dunno:

#7 ·
Well, I thought the dealer replaced the air box long ago but without keeping records (before they we're bought out) I don't really know. That was my first complaint/issue (sticking at high idle).

However, my problem seems to be involved with the idle, ie, you can't hold it at one RPM. It hunts basically. Off-throttle seems to drop off way too fast. Very difficult to deal with in traffic.

I think it's s/ware related. I'm willing to try the PC for a fix for starters. I don't think I have the very latest s/ware loaded either but my upgrade was supposed to fix this problem if I recall correctly.

#8 ·
By the way, great write up on the bike...

One question...how do you think the 1000 is for longer trips?

I guess thats why I keep telling myself the K12S is fine, it is nice for long trips.

You see how I keep talking myself out of the 1000rr :teeth

oh yeah, what color is your bike?? might as well keep drooling since I've already ruined this t-shirt:)

#9 ·
great ride report! thanks! :clap:

iehawk said:
So I went up to Alice's Restaurant (Woodside, CA) on Sunday, 02/21/10. I knew it was going to rain, but the forecast said not until 3pm, thought I could have a bit fun before that. I left home at 10:30 and entered the rain just before going up, entering the twisties. Too late to turn around, might as well turn it into a test. :)

Words that came to my mind:

• Usable power
  • Confidence inspiring
  • Can push more
  • Great engine brake (on the way back downhill)
  • Excellent throttle feel
  • Very balanced
  • Hard to shake off
  • Rain mode feels just right
It took me 14 minutes to go up Hwy 9 (crawling; a local motorcycle road), but it was without much drama. The rear wiggled a few times, but just for a fraction of a second, not even enough to freak you out. The first concern came to my mind was the tires' performance in wet, but it went to the back of my mind pretty quick. Before I know it, I was giving it more gas and playing it smooth. The system did a good job and keeping the bike pointed where I wanted it to go. No blowing the line, etc.

Anyone familiar with Hwy 9 knows what I'm talking about... I was going through the twisties part at speed limit and could open up a bit more on the straights. The bike instilled that much confidence.

Hwy 9 to Hwy 35 to Alice's: http://gps.bmw-motorrad.com/drawings/887 (minus the Woodside part).

After spending about 30 minutes at Alice's Restaurant warming and drying up, I took the same way home. Going downhill, one thing really caught my attention, the engine braking. It's so good that I could leave it on third, around 3000 RPM, and just coasted down. I tapped the brake a couple times when the sign said 15-20 MPH curves, but that's it.

I spent half a day today riding around the next day (dry Monday), running errands, stop and go traffic. I admit it doesn't feel as flexible and comfortable as riding the K1200R, but it's pretty damn close. Certain things are trade offs from one bike to the other. If you have a track day or two in mind, you'll live on this bike just fine.

It's so easy to ride and settle into, even in the rain. I imagine the DTC will trickle down to the other models, even adopted by other brands. It works really well, especially combined with the rain mode map and throttle response.

The next generation bike is here.

Sorry if it's a bit all over the place... still brainstorming. :teeth

#10 ·
ldbikin said:
By the way, great write up on the bike...

One question...how do you think the 1000 is for longer trips?

I guess thats why I keep telling myself the K12S is fine, it is nice for long trips.

You see how I keep talking myself out of the 1000rr :teeth

oh yeah, what color is your bike?? might as well keep drooling since I've already ruined this t-shirt:)
So sorry, I thought I've answered your reply earlier, apparently not yet. Been wearing the same drooled-on shirt still? :teeth

I think the S1000RR won't be as comfortable on longer trips as the K1200S, but I imagine it wouldn't be that far off. Of course the ultimate test is when I take delivery on mine and can do my own longer riding test soon. I'll write more then.

What I have in mind is getting a tank bag or put something in the front part of the jacket where I can lie down on the tank and prop me high enough. With the load off my back and off my wrists, I imagine it should help.

Honestly, I've tried to talk myself out of the S1000RR so many times myself. After all, my K1200R is so comfortable and it's literally a non-issue bike. It has just been such a good machine so far. Transmission is smooth, engine is responsive, no weird glitches, etc.

I guess being a BMW dealer employee and all, I thought why not. Plus every time I ride the bike (I've taken it home 4 times so far including one weekend), it never fails to convince me that it's just that good.

One thing you can look forward to... the next generation K bikes, or any BMW bikes for that matter. I'm sure the ride mode technology along with the DTC and Race ABS will make it to them in one form or another.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.