BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!
Today i got an answer regarding new software to my K1200S. They, (Bike Trollhattan, Sweden), say that BMW are into developing a new version right now, and i should come back to this in the spring. Im interested in getting the bad fueling around 2000 fixed.

aug/05 K1200S 9k km.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Software upgrade.

Hi guys I am interested to know whether any of you have had Software Version 6 (K024-06-01-510)installed yet and what differences you have found. Locus seemed to have started following this lot and I am wondering if he has more news for us on the software front.

·
Registered
730 Posts
There's quite a few owners that have gotten the new 6.0 software and pleased that it fixed the low speed twitchy throttle issue and just make the bike run much better. They have all reported though, that there is a small burble on decel, since the update.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply Sportrider, I have had it (Version 6) installed and it has fixed the bottom end fueling from off idle to 3000rpm it has smoothed the bike out and it is a pleasure in traffic now. I have also got the burbelling on decelaration, but I have now got a new problem which I did not have with V5.1. It is very difficult to get smooth gear shifts when accelerating hard going up through the gearbox the throttle response is not linear as before. During quick gearshifts there is a power surge no matter how you roll it on. The only way to get a smooth shift is to roll power on so slowly that there is no point of trying to go through the gears fast. Hoping there is some advise out there.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hmmm...I'm going to try and get mine updated this coming week, so I''ll
pay attention to your observations and see if mine's the same.

·
Registered
236 Posts
sportrider said:
Hmmm...I'm going to try and get mine updated this coming week, so I''ll
pay attention to your observations and see if mine's the same.

Whoa now! You saying that "our boys" have the 6.0 and admit to it?

Doug

·
Registered
62 Posts
well took my S in for the 600 mile run in. My dealer was all set with the 6.0 software upgrade. They had the latest and greatest. They said mine was the first bike to take all the updates and on final check, everything came out perfect. I am riding tomorrow and will let you know how it feels. On the way home it felt fine. My dealer was awesome. Las Vegas BMW.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Version 6 upgrade.

:) Got some good news the problem with my K12S was the ECU had to relearn throttle position. That simple procedure on page 115 of the older handbook and page 123 of the new. Thank the Pope as I was really in a tizz. Seems as if the download may flush the previous TPS memory or try to apply the old memory to the new software or something along those lines any case bike is transformed. Go out and get a good thing guys Version 6 is the boss.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I had the new software installed on my early production k1200s yesterday and it has eliminated about 95% of the low speed and idle issues i was seeing. I've also noticed a burble on decel but maybe that's because i couldn't gear down w/o it bucking before. I drove though downtown @ 30mph in 6th gear this morning and it was smooooooooth

Before, at times it idled like an f1 car on the pit speed limiter and you could smell it running rich. Right around 1800-2k rpm it would "gallop" as well with out a load but the biggest PITA was on decel or cruise when it would combine with driveline lash and buck away. So i usually just coated to stops clutch in or used a lower gear

I do see some hesitation now when whacking the throttle open after highway cruising for a while but i've only driven it about 50 miles.

I kind of thought since they were updating the s/w they would tell me how the valves were set? wasn't that part of the TSB? He said they would check it at the 12k service. I just turned 9k FWIW

·
Registered
730 Posts
Mine(early 05) goes in today at 3:30. Driving in Atlanta rush hour traffic should be a pretty good test this afternoon - will post my opinions tomorrow.

I plan on commuting to work every decent day I can this year on it - 40+ mpg's vs 14 in my truck - the bike pays for itself(just about) at $3.00 a gallon.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Well, got the update...

I wouldn't go so far as to say that the update transformed the bike.

It's still a bit twitchy at anything below 2000 rpm's.

My pipes now pop on decel...maybe it's a burble on stock pipes, but with the
Laser, it definately pops.

Errh...not real happy with it, but it's possibly better than before? Seems to pull harder.

Expecting a perfect bike for $18k - guess it ain't gonna happen.

Reality sets in...

Argh!

Signed,

Disappointed

·
Registered
177 Posts
Please do the "relearning procedure" and let me know if their is a difference. I have experienced some problems after installing the 5.1 and after riding for almost a 1000 miles I decided to do the procedure, it really transformed the bike or at least made a significant positive difference.

The dealers do not have the time to disconnect the battery and wait for a couple of hours to do the process, so do it yourself and see if I am wrong. You have noting to loose in my opinion.

Cheers,
Nick

·
Registered
45 Posts
I brought the KS in for the update ( 06 model). It completely destroyed the bikes computer and damaged the dealers GT1. Lots of hushed muttering on BMW's part with no fix in sight. Buyer beware. This update may not apply to your bike and the dealer may not be equipped to determine applicability. So far, the best BMW can say is it could take months.

·
Registered
45 Posts
vegasdude said:
My 06 went just fine. And it runs great with no issues.........
Do you know anything about the software issue, date and specs? Or, the dealers equipment? Or procedure? It would help.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts