BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have not had a bike in 13 years and bought new 07 GT with all the gear, top case, etc. Spent a lot of money and dropped the bike three times in 6 months. Went camping with the BMW group and had lots of fun. Only problem is that it was not as fun to ride as my last bike which was a Harley ridged chopper I build from a basket case I bought. The BMW was uncomfortable after being in the saddle so I had a custom seat made and added bar risers. It still made my elbows soar after riding it for 20 minutes and I just lost the joy of riding (unless I was going 130 MPH or racing up a mountain or riding the twisties).

Long story short, sold the GT and never missed it. I bought a 1978 Triumph Bonneville to have something to ride until I figure out what's the best bike for me. The $4,000 Bonnie is so much fun to ride I think I'm going to keep it for a long time. Saved a boat load of money and I don't have to take it to the BMW dealer for warrantee work every other month. I can work on my own bike and will never drop a bike again.

I know it's a different ride altogether but think the newer BMW's are too much money and not comfortable Triumph for me.

Anyone else find the new GT not a comfortable or desirable as other bikes they owned?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yes , The seat is not any good for 500 mile days. Rocky Mayer can take care of that. Are you BS us. A Triumph Bonneville as an up grade from an 07 GT. When you let the GT fall over you must have hit your head very hard.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Kinda like flying the Rare Bear I suppose, hell to taxi, dreadful to takeoff (big radial wants to torque the little plane over), but oh my goodness to fly, must be a real hoot!

The GT has a balance point like .5 degrees either side of straight up, I felt like riding on a small step ladder the first time I rode it, but the ride, WOW!

He is right tho, it costs too much, but I doubt BMW makes much money if any on it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
dhanson said:
He is right tho, it costs too much, but I doubt BMW makes much money if any on it.
Rest assured that if BMW wasn't making any money on it they would stop selling it. Reference the R1200ST and K1200R-Sport as examples.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I would love to have a 78 Bonnie in the garage, and a Moto Guzzi and an Ultra Glide and a Ducati.

To try and compare your Bonnie to the GT is just plain silly. I smell bait here but Im always up for it.

Please let us know which software package your Bonnie has that prevents it from falling over, you will probably find it somewhere near the magneto. Im sure I could get a discount on my insurance with it installed.

Enjoy your new ride, and your drip tray.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Each to his own. I haven't dropped a bike in 20+ years but if you've dropped yours 3 times I think you came to the right conclusion in that it's too much bike for you.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
Dadicool59 said:
I would love to have a 78 Bonnie in the garage, and a Moto Guzzi and an Ultra Glide and a Ducati.

To try and compare your Bonnie to the GT is just plain silly. I smell bait here but Im always up for it.

Please let us know which software package your Bonnie has that prevents it from falling over, you will probably find it somewhere near the magneto. Im sure I could get a discount on my insurance with it installed.

Enjoy your new ride, and your drip tray.
He's lucky not to have a software package and as a naked bike like the BSA Rocket I once had, he can fit front and rear chrome 'crash bars'. It can fall over or take a slide with you on it wearing very little riding gear and survive. Bike and me survived a T-Bone with hardly a scratch.

I think I'd miss the sustained high speed freeway cruising most.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
407 Posts
This sounds more like a bike purchase gone sour. Not very comfortable in the saddle, drop 3 times....that would turn alot of riders off.

But to mention the GT in the same sentence as a (probably hardtail) chopper you built and a '78 Bonnie...c'mon bro'! :rotf: I'm thinking you were wrong for the GT, the GT wasn't wrong for you!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have a '76 T140V. While it is a beautiful classic, it's no comparison to my '04KRS. I rode the Bonneville for 500mi. non-stop, thought I would die!! Double that mileage on the KRS and no problem.
Unfortunately, I put a lot of miles on my old Triumph(12,000 per yr.) and it required a lot of maintenance. The KRS only receives normal service.
Did you ever count the places that a Triumph can leak oil??

·
Addict-oholic
1,416 Posts
Let's see. I have had my GT for two years. I layed it down in a near miss with bambi. Almost dropped it or should I say, 'saved" it before It could get grounded. I lost it in a curve as I panicked and hit the brake, but recovered just as I got on the shoulder. Should I have given up? Nah!, I love it and am riding better for it. It's is so much better than my KRS which dropped just by looking at it the wrong way.

It just keeps getting better each and every time I ride it...

·
Registered
513 Posts
Kemmens, So you dropped your bike. You are the only one in the world to ever do that!!

I have never dropped a bike, (too Much) but they have put my ass on the pavement a bunch of times.

Somehow I really don't think it was the bike's fault.
Enjoy that antique with those wonderful tube tires and fabulous brakes.

Ride slow and stay out of the fast bikers way.

Bazra
aka: The Flash

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not comparing a Bonnie to the GT. I just said that I enjoy the Bonnie more than the GT. The GT is a great bike, I just did not find it to my style and was not the bike for me.
I guess I'm more of a Harley person than a new BMW. I will own several bikes and think the Bonnie is great for tooling around town. Not sure what other bike I will get but the next one will be a Harley. After that, it all depends on what I find.

I was not knocking the K1200GT, just giving my opinion on my experience.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Thanks for making the next owner very happy. A great bike at a reduced price. :clap:

·
Registered
6 Posts
From 68 "Bonne" to 07 GT!

Very sorry to hear you could'nt work out the uncomfort with your GT. Gave away a 68 red Triumph Bonneville to a relative that got divorced,I was the original owner and he needed some cheering up.I loved the Bonnie but it needed a bolt every time I got home somewhere.I put peg lowering alum fitment on it for the pegs,had bars raised all the way,have a leather Rick Mayer seat on order,ride with the seat all the way up and put a Ztech windscreen on it. I love my machine,the only,ONLY complaint I have is not giving into the urge ta break the "rules" somewhere every time I am out. I live in the boonies and the part of my tires that go "south" are the sides,never da middle. Hope the new Bonnie with the disk brakes is a real grin for ya till you final ride,stay safe.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
I find knocking the GT over once a year does wonders. Makes the dealer very happy and instills me to learn a skill such as plastic bodywork and backyard painting. :D

Mack

·
Registered
646 Posts
I just bought a 2007 GS after buying the 2006 GT last year. I love both. Both are completely different rides, for completely different reasons. I just got my GT back on the road from dropping it standing in 2" of hail pellets- my bad. I'm using the GS for heavy daily commuting, the GT for weekend and vacation touring- and when I need to get somewhere very, VERY fast.

Only one complaint with the GT- don't like the shifting- I have another thread on here lately about that. Only one complaint with the GS- not enough range. I'm betting the GS DOES age better though- there's just a lot less to go bad.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Bonnie is fun to ride in town on shorter rides but that's about it. I still have not determined what bike to buy for the a fun, longer ride. I hate the 3 gallon gas tank cause I only get 30 mpg and having to find a gas station every 80 miles is no fun. Good kick around bike.

Think I might look at an evo engine or a older BMW GS.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts