BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm bearing down on 130mph westbound I-66 through rural Virginia, virtually no traffic, on my 1100S and my buddy's on my K12S a few hundred yards behind me. I THOUGHT I had this all figured out, great sight lines, it's not like I haven't been on this road a few times before. All of a sudden, in the median about a half mile away, behind a slight mound, is one of Virginia's finest, and I do mean finest (love this guy and never even met him) running radar, facing me of course. I throttle down pretty quickly, but no braking, just a nice de-cellaration and I'm doing about 75-80 when I pass his position. Spped limit's 65 by the way. I know I'm getting popped, zero defense for you can't defend what's indefensable, right. But wait a second, I look, and I look, and I look some more and he never came out! WTF? Happy Independence Day to me, I reckon, but if there's anyone out here that can give me a reasonable explanation as to why I'm not facing a $2,500 fine and loss of license, any LEO's that can determine if maybe, just maybe, the guy never got a read on either one of us...I'd love to know. I always thought that if you could see them, it was too late, they had ya. A buck thirty's booking and it LOOKS like you're booking. I don't know, just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this very rare phenomena. Thanks in advance for responding.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Jimmy,
If it makes you feel better, I emailed this to VA's finest. You should be getting a call soon.
Your bud,
Maybe you were just wishing you were going 130 when it was closer to 70. :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
This happened to me once in Illinois on my GT ,except i was up to an indicated 150,only the second time I'd had her this fast,wanted to see if she'd hit 160.I spotted him in the median and started slowing down.No other cars or traffic on the road but me and the wife.She said she was at least running 100.I don't know maybe he was a rider himself,maybe because no one else was on the road.I almost wanted to go back and thank him but hell no.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just kiddin'

Really, Alli, I meant to say I was going 13 over the speed limit, NOT 130...really...
Eddy, I know what you mean, I wanted to thank him also, but then again, what do they say? Discretion is the better part of valor?

·
Registered
158 Posts
If they were runing regular rader (doppler) then you need to be within 100yds. for a good reading. IF it was laser, then thank them for being kind.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a Stalker 2 Ka rader gun and actually its pretty hard to get a lock on a fast moving bike sometimes. We have done some speed runs and both the bike and the operator of the gun have to be pretty still to get consistant "lock" so maybe you just got lucky ..... :hypocrite :hypocrite :hypocrite

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
It must have been the holidays. I got tagged for doing 56 in a 35 and he just gave me a warning.

·
Registered
21 Posts
the answer is that you werent worth going after. if you were going 120 it probably would have taken at least 1-1.5 miles to catch up with you if you were kind enough to slow down to 100. most guys on bikes will either maintain their speed or increase their speed after passing an officer running radar/lidar. also dont forget that most crown vics will top out right around 120-130 anyway. if you're speeding today, you'll be speeding tomorrow.

·
Registered
293 Posts
zombiewolf said:
A buck thirty's booking and it LOOKS like you're booking. I don't know, just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this very rare phenomena. Thanks in advance for responding.
While I'm happy for you that you dodged the bullet, posts with too much location and time specific detail can end up anywhere. I think most riders would rather have LEOs on the job who exercise a little discretion and common sense. Too much info aint good for the cop or other riders.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Maybe he was sleeping.. long weekend and hung over, wife didn't give him any. Good luck is just that. Be happy you got a freebie.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sportrider said:
I got the ticket you were SUPPOSED to get you bastard!

82 in a 55

Thanks...
Sportrider...sorry man! Be glad you weren't in VA, you would have been written up for reckless driving (20 over or over 80, at the cop's discretion). Lenz: point well-taken and lesson learned on divulging too much info.

·
Registered
531 Posts
in PA i speed pass cops all the time at 80 mph and they never stop me, i can only assume they are allowing 15 mph over the limit which is 65. i've also passed cops and seen them reading, talking on a cell phone, talking to another cop, doing a whole lot of different things other than manning the radar and handing out tickets. usually just seeing a cop car is enough of a deterrent to make people slow down without the cop having to chase you down and handout tickets. good luck and ride safe

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dummy?

No not you...the car. More and more I'm seeing State & local patrol cars parked in typical Gotcha locations unmanned. Some in SC even have solar panels on the deck lid to power flashers. Works, at least for non locals, to slow traffic ... Or maybe you're just lucky. :)

Enjoy
Jim

·
Registered
796 Posts
Me and a bud passed a cop in a van in New Mex a few years ago. We were both running around 120 in a 55 zone, saw the cop, saw he was in a van, so figured it wasnt a cop and never slowed down.He hit his lights as we passed and scared hell out of us. We slowed down, looking for a pullout. He never turned around.Major pucker.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
During my brief stop this past weekend (where I was lucky to get off with only a warning) and talking with the officer, I found that the Federal Government is providing grants to local PDs to beef up enforcement on routes that have been determined to be trouble spots. I asked for clarification on "trouble spots", and the only explanation I could get was that there is some Federal report that shows the highest accident rates by road/street/highway across the country. The Federal Government provides grants to pay for extra coverage, new equipment, and provides funding to the PD for its participation in the program. This officer wasn't too happy about being out writing tickets, as it was his day off, and this grant program required many off-duty officers to show up. Sure, overtime is good, but I think he'd have rather had his day off.

Do any of the LEOs that participate here have any more details on this program?

·
Registered
21 Posts
just remember to be careful out there. think of how much ground you can cover in one second going 65, 80, 120 mph. there are alot more people you can hurt on the road than just yourself.

·
Registered
214 Posts
zombiewolf said:
I'm bearing down on 130mph westbound I-66 through rural Virginia, ... All of a sudden, in the median about a half mile away, behind a slight mound, is one of Virginia's finest, ... I throttle down pretty quickly, but no braking, just a nice de-cellaration and I'm doing about 75-80 when I pass his position. ... I look, and I look, and I look some more and he never came out! WTF?... I don't know, just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this very rare phenomena.
You got lucky.
No further explanation is necessary.
Good story though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You "S" riders are very naughty exceeding the speed limit. If you make sure you stay about 10% below the limit at all times, you will not get into trouble. Also, try not to make your bikes lean over going around those nasty corners because this is very dangerous.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts