BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You'd think that as a man of the world at age 71 I'd seen it all and couldn't be impresses by much.

You'd be wrong.

I'm so stoked that tomorrow I will pick-up my completely restored and serviced beautiful black 2000 BMW K1200RS with 21,500 miles on it from Dave's Forever Endeavor BMW Dealership in Pacific Missouri.

Do I need it? No, Do I deserve it? No, Do I want it? Yes and frankly, I don't care if I ever get to ride it because just having a Secretariat in your stable is priceless.

I suspect that many of you have experienced the same enthusiasm.

·
Registered
1998 BMW K1200rs Dolphin Blue.
44 Posts
Welcome aboard. I’m only 5 months in to ownership of my 98 K and am still learning about the bike. Great fun. Great all rounder. Really comfortable. Really uncomfortable at the same time. Great tank range. Just great.

I recently counted and to my wife’s disgust, it’s my 20th bike.

This Forum and its members are a very knowledgeable bunch of people.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Welcome aboard. I’m only 5 months in to ownership of my 98 K and am still learning about the bike. Great fun. Great all rounder. Really comfortable. Really uncomfortable at the same time. Great tank range. Just great.

I recently counted and to my wife’s disgust, it’s my 20th bike.

This Forum and its members are a very knowledgeable bunch of people.
I have to laugh I’ve had 44 motorcycles I’m 56 years old I bought my 2007 K 1200S a year ago I mentioned to the wife that I was probably going to flip it. I have never bought a motorcycle and flipped it but I use that terminology to smooth out the edges to make the purchase because I’ve already got eight motorcycles at home this one made number nine so now a year later it is still A touchy area when ever the K 1200 is mentioned.
I had a dirtbike laying around so I figured I’d sell that and it would almost pay for my K bike no harm no foul......women don’t look at things like that all because I mentioned flipping it that’s what sticks in their minds....so basically I told my wife a white lie according to her, that doesn’t go over well.
Like you others , DID I need it no , did I want it absolutely, I thought it was one of the most beautiful bikes I’ve ever seen. It is a fantastic Motorcycle working on making it a little more comfortable for the old man.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As part of my middle aged domestic break down crisis, my wife's brother gave me his immaculate 2007 K1200R Sport for a very small financial consideration (he doesn't really get on with his sister), mostly so he could make it look like he flipped it, but also to allow me to forget how awful things are for a couple of hours a week.

It managed to grow an Akroprovic and power commander, so is deeply inappropriate.

Having been through ducatis, triumphs, honda's this was my first bike for 10 years, and my first BMW. Moreover it is one i can ride when i fancy it.

My eye has wandered several times to slimmer, younger, better handling and more exotic models. But at the end of the day i walk into the garage and admire my big, loud, curvy, muscular K series and swear to never look at anything else again. Its a keeper :)

I've even been posting ride videos on youtube so my kids (at Uni) can admire the countryside and roads in the Yorkshire Dales ! ..... i just hope my wife doesn't look, then she'll see i'm running a bike and 'having fun'.

Yes, the enthusiasm experience appears unavoidable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I rented a small U-Haul trailer and drove down the Mississippi to pick-up the 2000 K12RS and it is currently on display above a small concrete slab in my backyard defining the modern aesthetic of form meets function like the beautiful piece of art that it is.

When started, it purrs like a finely tuned Formula One hitting every single beat in perfect timing with it's warm Remus muffler. As a professional musician I know perfect timing when I hear it.

Frankly, if not for Dave Clark's restoration work I sincerely doubt I would have ever bought a 20 year old K12 with so many unknown variables requiring a possible exorbitant repair bill. I trust that Dave's decades of service to Saint Louis BMW owners and his final test drive that required flushing the brake fluid and new brake pads gives my new vehicle his seal of approval.

I got plates yesterday but haven't driven a car in almost 10 years starting with a '56 Chevy Nomad in 1971...it went downhill from there.

All the advice contained in this K12 forum has been invaluable to me and I wish to express my gratitude to all of you. If I ever get to ride it, I hope I'll be even happier

DG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts