BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been a bazillion threads on helmet speakers and/or headphones. Ear buds, custom, whatever. I've been riding 25+ years without sound in my helmet. Well, okay, a couple of times I've tried playing a walkman inside my helmet. It worked. Well enough that I got nervous not being able to hear the sounds around me.

Who has a radio/CD/Cassette player set up with external speakers? With a laminar lip, I think you could pull it off. What electronics and mounting hardware did you use? Pictures?

Thanks,
Mike in Appleton

·
Registered
339 Posts
I did have it. I used an XM Roady and the J&M Amplified speakers (the expensive chrome ones they have). It might work for you depending on what type of rider you are....If you mostly just cruise around in town and on state highways, it might work fine....But if you spend most of your time on the interstate like I do, then don't bother.

It takes some work to get it set up properly, and looking ok....I did a temporary installation on mine since I wasn't sure if it would work for me. Basically, mine looked like the Spaghetti Warehouse of wires. I think it could have been cleaned up and organized some if you were happy with the results.

I had mounted the speakers down in the area behind the hand guards, but in front of the handgrips. Therefore, they were not visible from the side view of the bike.

If you decide to make an attempt at it, let me know. I think I still have the mounting bracket I made for the speakers and would be happy to send it to you (If I can find it in the garage). It's not super pretty, but would probably help you in the process.

I had gotten the J&M Speakers from Sierra Motorcycle Electronics in Troy, Ohio....They do have a website, but I can't remember the address off the top of my head...

Good luck,
Rich

·
Registered
264 Posts
Mike,
Sorry but you're headed down the wrong path. Perhaps you're worried about in-ear speaker laws. I am too a little. Long ago some beaurocrap sitting in a mahogany and leather room with no earbuds in sight said "This new technology is evil, we must outlaw it, I don't think these hippy kids can hear sirens coming" and so it was written. I don't know about your state but in mine, they don't even give a hearing test. And they don't limit the volume of speakers inside of cars. They are starting to pass laws limiting the ammount of noisie you can make outside your car (for the comfort of the bystanders only) which your external speakers might violate.

But anyway, it sounds like you're using a full face helmet. The music then needs to get into your helmet, just like the sirens do. They are competing noises. You'll have to turn your music up loud!!!!

Now if you put small speakers inside your helmet, they don't have to be attenuated by the trip from the other side and you can play them much lower. They will also be clearer so you can play them even lower and still hear/understand the words. Who do you think can hear sirens better, you listening to a calm rendition of your favorite Vivaldi (or Aerosmith) at a normal level or the kid with 30kW of (legal) speakers shaking his whole car.

Lastly, last months Rider Magazine had some alarming test results in it about noise. they reported a test of 23 full face helmets on K-bikes and got 100 dB at the ear, no matter what helmet you use. Suprisingly to me, the helmet didn't matter. OSHA says at 100dB you should limit your exposure to 2 hrs. I like to protect my hearing so I want to reduce it even more. You mentioned aeroflow. I have one and I'm sure it knocks a few dB off the helmet noise.

But here is my plan. Yesterday I had my ears sealed shut with epoxy. Seriously. I went to an audiometrist and he filled both ears with goo and let it set up. I couldn't hear a thing. Then he pulled them out and I'm sending these impressions to earplugco.com to have a set of custom Challenger earphones made. These will provide protection from all the wind and tire noise and I'll be able to play the music much lower resulting in better ear protection and I'll still be able to hear emergency vehicles. See the IPOD forum for more discussion or Challenger earphones. User Bobmws is the proprietor of earplugco.com. I don't know him but he has answered my questions well.

I'll deal with the police if they want to discuss the earphones. Now that I'm older (pushing 50) I've noticed that they seem to actually listen to me when I talk so perhaps I can convince them that I'm playing the music low and the earpieces are essential for hearing protection. They are in favor of safety gear.

So I think you should stick to in-helmet music unless you're planning to get rid of the full face helmet and keep it under 30 mph.

Cheers,
Jerry

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
A young law student was killed in UK this week on her bicycle. She was listening on her i-Pod and didn't hear the big truck she pulled in front of. Pedestrians with Walkmans plugged in have suffered the same sad fate.

Maybe it's just me and I'm getting old and cage driving hazards more frequent, but I think my K needs all my sensors armed and open when I'm riding. I only use plugs on long cruises when I reckon noise fatigue is worse than losing some outside volume, but the plugs still let through important sounds not something totally different like loud music you might want to pay more attention to. With our helmets already letting through high levels of noise, in-helmet sound is just another noise layer on top. If I was persuaded to have entertainment when riding, I think it would be in one ear only for traffic and weather services or speech FM channels.

How do you guys get on with pillion intercoms? Do they distract you, are your pillions sensitive to moments when you need concentration and don't chat? Do they have the push to talk switches only controlled by the rider?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
264 Posts
As you can tell by my post, I disagree. I think hearing protection is very important. it reduces the TOTAL noise level so the siren vs bike noises will still be at their previous relative levels. The safety Nazi's will be using every example they can to support their cause. Remember, they are zealots looking for a cause rather than a cause that needs supporting. Nobody will ever know if the girl would have pulled in front of the truck w/o a walkman but lots of girls did such stupid things before walkmen were invented.

Next time you ride your bike, at every intersection you come to, listen to the vehicles around you and see if you think you're likely to take corrective or evasive action based on noise?

One of the reasons I like riding the bike is how alert it keeps me. I always know what is around me what it's relative motion is. I rely totally on sight for this input.

Anyway, I'm just concerned for your hearing. Your profile doesn't show your age but my hearing isn't what it used to be (pushing 50) and I want to keep as much of it as I can for as long as I can.

As for the communication with the pillion, most of the guys I know who have them tend to keep them turned off or frequently claim that they're not working. :) Whe I need concentration for driving, thunder in my helmet wouldn't distract me so chatting would be automaticly filtered out. The question would be, does the pillion mind repeating herself when I'm busy driving? My 5 year old son has already learned that he may have to repeat himself when daddy is busy driving. And I use my cell phone while driving on the freeway but it is very clear in my mind what the priorities are and I am never reluctant to ask the other party to repeat themselves because I had to focus on driving for a minute.
Cheers,
Jerry

·
Registered
150 Posts
I haven't used an open face helmet since 1981, but the only recollection I have of the experience is loud loud noise. I even put a full face shield on one. The only thing this accomplished is funneling all of the intake and valve noise from my Silver Jubilee Triumph Bonneville and a Norton Commando right up the face shield and into my ears.

I haven't ridden with a quiet full face helmet, but every time I ride without earplugs of some kind I can feel it afterwards. I can still hear ambient noise with earplugs, but it knocks the wind and mechanical noises down considerably. There is a lot of research to show that this kind of noise (and vibration too) is fatiguing and ultimately impairs reaction time, etc.

Not sure the culprit is a full face helmet, the short version!

·
Registered
264 Posts
The test report in last month's Rider Mag said they tested 23 full face helmets on K-bikes with in-helmet noise measuring and got within 1 dB of 100 dB at the ear in all of them. It appears the helmet makes very little difference. --Jerry

·
Registered
447 Posts
I know this is redundant, but... I use an iPod with the er6i's and they do take out the harmful noise and I can still hear sirens and horns. It's just hearing-saving ear plugs with music as a bonus.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Thcr

DebS said:
I know this is redundant, but... I use an iPod with the er6i's and they do take out the harmful noise and I can still hear sirens and horns. It's just hearing-saving ear plugs with music as a bonus.
Deb, where did you get your er6i's?

·
Registered
57 Posts
voxmagna said:
A young law student was killed in UK this week on her bicycle. She was listening on her i-Pod and didn't hear the big truck she pulled in front of. Pedestrians with Walkmans plugged in have suffered the same sad fate.

Maybe it's just me and I'm getting old and cage driving hazards more frequent, but I think my K needs all my sensors armed and open when I'm riding. I only use plugs on long cruises when I reckon noise fatigue is worse than losing some outside volume, but the plugs still let through important sounds not something totally different like loud music you might want to pay more attention to. With our helmets already letting through high levels of noise, in-helmet sound is just another noise layer on top. If I was persuaded to have entertainment when riding, I think it would be in one ear only for traffic and weather services or speech FM channels.

How do you guys get on with pillion intercoms? Do they distract you, are your pillions sensitive to moments when you need concentration and don't chat? Do they have the push to talk switches only controlled by the rider?
Pillion intercoms do not seem to bother me. Neither does the voice of a spotter or crew member on the radio when I am in the race car at full speed, wheel to wheel with another car. If things are getting really dicey, I tend to ignore to sound in my ears and pay attention to what the tires are telling me about grip.

·
Registered
796 Posts
i wear the cheap ace hardware ear plugs that are on a string. So when I hit a city I can just yank one or both plugs out so I can hear a little better.Still have to stop to put them back in tho.I have the Areoflow shield and it helps the noise a lot, but at freeway speeds I still wear the plugs. after being married for 25 years my ears ring all the time and my upper range is toast.Hoping with her gone and wearing ear protection I wont get any worse, if nothing else now I "want" to hear.FWIW

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just another data point

JamesTexas said:
Deb, where did you get your er6i's?
James >

- bought my ER6i Etymotics here
http://www.discountearphones.com/

-and have them plugged into a low tech - low cost walkman
http://uucurl.com/x.php?p=1648

- I like getting the news and weather while out and about and have a cd in the player full of mpegs Ive ripped from my favorite CDs. Its virtually impossible to safely switch from radio to cd and/or fiddle with the walkman controls while riding. But if I get tired of the radio and want some music or vice versa I simply swap modes and the next gas or rest stop.

- other observations;

surprisingly enough, the walkman goes for several day trips on a single AA battery

no, there is no CD skip on the player which rides along in my tankbag

and yes, you can detect sirens, my buddys loud Bonneville pipes, and other traffic happenings with this set up (also have a Windjammer on the helmet) provided you dont have the volume turned to 'Disco' level <G> .

- ebill

·
Registered
59 Posts
er6'i

Dean, I have tryed the earbuds and they fall out when putting the helmet on no matter how I force the helmet open. Do the er6'i have a right angle lead that the helmet dosn't brush?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Have you tried Koss plug type?

ezgo said:
Dean, I have tryed the earbuds and they fall out when putting the helmet on no matter how I force the helmet open. Do the er6'i have a right angle lead that the helmet dosn't brush?
You might want to consider the Koss type plug (2 types available), the kind I picked up http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?openform&pc^eb^PLUG
work well with my Schuberth helmet. Cost is only about $15.

This is a link to the small size plug and earbud web
http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?openform&pc^eb

Attachments

·
Riding in company
292 Posts
Mr. EZGO, put a piece of tape over your ears after the plugs and before the helmet; that's what we do in racecars. I used 2" blue masking tape. Works great. And I agree with Berry...when the chips are down you only hear what you need to hear.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts