BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Stupid question...I got me a set of OEM plugs (Bosch XR7LDC) and I am not sure if I need to set the gaps on the plugs. Bosch site say the Super plugs are factory pre-set, but you MAY need to change them to meet manufactur specs. 2001 service manual says:

Electrode gap mm (in) 0.8 ± 0.1 (0.0315 ± 0.004)

Bosch site says based upon suffix:

X suffix = .044"
Y suffix = .060"
Z suffix = .080"
Which doesn't help because I don't have one of those "suffixes"...found this site - http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/SparkPlugBMWAPPLICATION.html- and says, that the XR7LDC should be 0.6 mm factory gap, yet when I measure with feelers, since I can't find a plug wire guage small enough, each side of the double grounds are between .31 and .38mm. Help

Side note...note sure that it matters, but 3 of the plugs say brazil and one says germany. Odd, would think they would all be from the same place :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I pic of the ends the bosch plugs (not mine, hope they are cleaner :))...double ground is what is what is throwing me...

·
Registered
86 Posts
For what it's worth, I replaced mine last weekend on the GT and never gave them a thought. The manual does not even mention checking the gap.

Runs as good as ever.

All of mine were from Brazil.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got back from the dealer who did the computer and brake bleed for me...service manager said he doesn't bother with those, they (the bosch) are usually very close to the factory pre-set gaps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts