BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Hommies,

So, as if I have nothing better to do.... found a bad pot hole and gauged up my blue painted rim pretty bad.

Sent the wheel out to factory to check and paint...... pulled lower cowl to have my staff do general cleaning and inspection....

Oh, Boss Man! Better come here....

Found #3 Exhaust pipe leaking oil/fuel @ Engine.

Which means now, we get to drop the Radiator and pull Stick Coils and Plugs....Oh Joy!

#3 Plug's Center electrode is toast! One can only guess if this was a defective plug? If all plugs were pencil whipped @ last big 36k miles service....

#3 is the lowest pipe in the manifold and does take its fair share of abuse. We did check on a Machinists block for trueness of manifold and at .25mm believe this is not the cause of the #3 cylinder going dead.

All coils checked via cranking and SP ground technique.

We'll gap check, replace with OE iridium re install, purge coolant system and patiently wait for our wheel back from the BMW factory...

If anyone has had similar issues with #3 cylinder (manifold or Plug) please feel free to share your wisdom.

Sincerely,

Btad

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R & 2021 Vespa Primavera clown paint job
729 Posts
Use vacuum on the engine to refill with coolant as found in many posts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes Sir,
we have the Vacuum kit. Will Purge ASAP.

Still pontificating the cause of Center Electrode of #3 cylinder deterioration.

·
Registered
BMW K1200S
26 Posts
Good luck - although (in theory) it’s possible to refill on the side stand and use the air release nipple off the water pump.
In practice however…after trying for three hours to get the system to fill without air locks I gave up and asked the main stealers to do it £60 lighter it’s sorted🤞👍.
I believe the pressure kit costs about £100 so it seemed stupid to spend twice the cost for a one off job!?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts