BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my GT to the dealer for the 12,000. I didn't have them change the fluids or plugs because I thought I would just do that myself. Should I have bought plugs from the dealer or is there an aftermarket plug I could use. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
186 Posts
trey55 said:
I just took my GT to the dealer for the 12,000. I didn't have them change the fluids or plugs because I thought I would just do that myself. Should I have bought plugs from the dealer or is there an aftermarket plug I could use. Thanks in advance.
I'm sure there are after market spark plugs to use that may perform better or equal to original plugs. Since the originally equipped spark plugs had never given any problems, my preference would be to stay with what is known good.

I like to keep ignition parts as original as possible. Hate to see you spend money on after market parts becuase someone said it worked great for them, but end up not so great for you. Then you'll do the work twice!;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
If it is still under warranty, I would use BMW plugs and filters. They are more expensive, but would eliminate any question should a warranty repair become necessary.
Since my 98' has been out of warranty, I have used aftermarket non/BMW oil filters and sparkplugs. If you use another oil filter make sure it does not have any labels, stickers or grip enhancer (Fram!) since they could come loose and clog an oil passage. Or ensure that the labels come off completely.
You can probably take your old plug to an auto parts store and have them cross-referenced.
I am sure many will tell that you should only use BMW parts on your BMW motorcycle, and you are not saving enough money to justify the risk. Decide for yourself.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I am in process of my 12k service (fluids done, still need to do the plugs, air filter, and valve check). I have my plugs on order from Chicago bmw - $6 bucks each, but they charge $6 for handling so either order other stuff you need or call it a wash and buy at your dealer. I ordred a new cycl cover gasket and some smaller o-rings and OEM brake pads to cover the handling charge:

12121465104 SPARK PLUG XR7LDC S 4 $6.00 $24.00

·
Registered
486 Posts
RRG said:
If it is still under warranty, I would use BMW plugs and filters. They are more expensive, but would eliminate any question should a warranty repair become necessary.
According to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, if a manufacturer requires that certain fluids or parts that usually wear out, such as spark plugs, brake pads, etc. be use as a condition of the warranty, then those things must be provided free of charge.

BMW is not providing spark plugs for free. Therefore, any BMW owner is free to use a comparable spark plug of any brand.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Mudbug said:
According to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, if a manufacturer requires that certain fluids or parts that usually wear out, such as spark plugs, brake pads, etc. be use as a condition of the warranty, then those things must be provided free of charge.

BMW is not providing spark plugs for free. Therefore, any BMW owner is free to use a comparable spark plug of any brand.
They don't require certain fluids, they require certain specification for fluids (SJ oil, stating "any brand name" not BMW). The way they get you is they make it difficult to find non-OEM items that are in required specification.

·
Registered
111 Posts
As far as plugs...in my old R1100RS, I ran Autolites and loved the performance and price. The Fram 6063 filter is not painted or has the grip stuff. Actually has the BMW "Taxi" on the box.

·
Registered
828 Posts
NGK iridium plugs

I put NKG iridiums into my bike. Their website has a cross reference chart to get the correct size.

You can order them from www.sparkplugs.com for about the same price for the BMW OEM (Bosch). Unless you are racing the bike or pushing it really hard you probably will not see any benifit form iridiums, but they can't hurt and do run a tiny bit better than the bosch plugs. Every bit helps!

ONON-
Mark

·
Registered
59 Posts
Autolite 4164

The K1200 uses Autolite 4164 plus. You can get them in standard , single platinum, double platinum or Motorcycle fine tip.

www.autolite.com has a reference for almost everything. I use the autolites on all of my bikes with great success but have not put them in the K yet. The old website had several posts where they were used with succes. I just love the way my K performs now so I pony up the Bosch money . If I get upset about the cost I lower the windshield and twist the right grip till it pulls the grin back.

Ride On
JD

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies.

Thanks guys I knew I was asking the right people. I will probably try and just use the autolites. I know some of you are cringing but its not like bmw is making the plugs they buy it off the shelf too (after engineering testing of course). Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
486 Posts
andy45320 said:
They don't require certain fluids, they require certain specification for fluids (SJ oil, stating "any brand name" not BMW). The way they get you is they make it difficult to find non-OEM items that are in required specification.
Regarding oil - Harley does not publish their API. It takes a lot of digging to find that information if you want to use non-Harley oil.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The wrench to tighten the plug seems to be different for the bosh xr7ldc than the nkg dcpr7eix
The threads are the same and seesms the distance to electrodes also. Are we sure I can use the nkg In my k1200gt 2004?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
You are right the NGK socket will be different. Even worse is that I did not even have that one at the time so had to modify one with the Dremel to fit over the NGKs.

Do them NGKs have the threaded tip? If so you will also have to find the part that screws on them so they fit the cables. Another PITA for me, had to steal them from other motors I have here.

Back to Bosch with no regrets.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had to go to ace and get a 5/8 socket. All the rest was ok.
But here a question for intelligent people: will the torque change if I use a 5/8 compare to a bigger measure, say a 7/8? Will it be like turning a small wheel versus a big wheel?

Another question. When I changed the plugs and run the engine to test before putting all fairing together I noticed that if I touched the cover of the plug (the metal part you grab to pull the plug cover) and the side of the cover with a screwdriver you could see small sparks doing contact with the cover. Is this ok?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
How are the spark plug wires? I had to replace mine and obviously one had been replaced before by the PO, there are two brands used by BMW and one did not match. You can sort of check them with an Ohmeter, they should all read in the 5K range. 2 of mine were intermittent, they showed good when bent at the angle they are installed at, but no more resistance when laid straight.Typical problem with carbon wires.

I have never grounded my caps on something and seen sparks, I don't think it should do that. A good way to check would be to run the engine in the dark and spray water on the wires as it runs with a spray bottle and then look for sparks, there shouldn't be any.Sparks would mean that the insulation is compromised somewhere.

But those NGKs have to have the "nipple" on them, not just the threads otherwise they won't lock in the caps properly and that may cause arcing

You are fine with the torque thing, makes no difference the torque wrench will read the torque in the center.But check them again later...when I bought my bike they weren't very tight and had been professionally installed at a shop, that is if I go by the "service completed" stamp in the book.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts