BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done with a (second one in 9000 miles) input spline lube, how am I looking? Did my first one in September, but it started getting chunky around 4-3rd gear again so I figured I would just do it now that I have a bit more experience. Went with the 50/50 Wurth's 3000 and Moly60.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, but they looked great as far as I can tell. No deformations and all the teeth are all pointy... (real technical term)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Drake, a question about the transmission input splines in his picture:

There is a sort of cup shape or lip on the end of the shaft by each spline. Is that shape a sign of wear or is it manufactured into the shaft?

Thanks,

Bill

·
PsyKotic Waterfowl
1,351 Posts
pallum said:
No, but they looked great as far as I can tell. No deformations and all the teeth are all pointy... (real technical term)
Look at the teeth on the drive shaft splines and then look at the character-based diagram in my post. Your drive shaft splines show quite a bit of the "mountain effect" as some people refer to it and they are pretty darned worn. Whether they are pointy or not is a non-issue. The points of splines aren't load bearing, the sides are.

Speaking of pointy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU4RD2f2BnY

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guess I'll say pointy-- meaning not "mountained." The above drive shaft picture is of the final drive end (I agree to the whole mountain effect), but the U-joint end looks nothing like it in terms of wear, as do the transmission output splines. The transmission input splines (pictured) and the clutch plate splines look good comparing to other pictures online.

·
Registered
243 Posts
FlyingDuck said:
The front U-joint splines aren't the issue. And what good does it do you if the front ones are fine when the rear ones are stripped? (hint: nothing)
Hrm. I'd rather have to swap-out the shaft and/or final drive than the gearbox.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts