BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to find out whether the KRS/GT has as many spline or clucth failures as the RT.

On a recent poll that was take from an Oilhead BMW forum I learned that about 25% of RTs suffered from transmission failure at one point or another, many of them with relatively low mileage, something like 25K to 35K.

I have also read in somewhere that the RT and KRS uses same gear box and transmission but I don't know if it is true.

If you're a KRS or GT owner that have experienced transmission failure I would like to hear about it for my personal interest, and if you know, what could have been the cause of it.

Thank you,

Pier

·
Registered
264 Posts
Pier,
As I posted on the BMWST board, your 25% number isn't even close. Your poll has about as much science behind it as checking for alcoholism at an AA meeting. You can't poll people at a place where people go to get help wrenching on their bikes and conclude you have a representative sample. Also, those who have had problems are much more likely to respond than the silent majority of those who haven't had problems.

In the photos section I saw photos of spline failure on one KRS bike. Thats all I've seen.

Cheers,
Jerry

·
Registered
76 Posts
poll

You can't poll people at a place where people go to get help wrenching on their bikes and conclude you have a representative sample. Also, those who have had problems are much more likely to respond than the silent majority of those who haven't had problems.
Not to mention the thousands (maybe hundreds) of riders who don't even go on the internet!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jerry, It is possible that the poll could be incorrect for the reasons you stated, but that's all the information I have so far, and by the way, it wansn't my poll, I just happen to read it.

If only a small percentage of RT riders go the BMWST board to get help wrenching their bikes, as you stated, then I can assume that also a small percentage of KRS/GT riders would come to this board for the same reason, and therefore a poll on transmission failure on the K-bikes from this board could be an appropriate comparison between the two model.

By the way, I have met in person several RT riders during the past few years, and few of them complained about transmission failure, so the polls may as well be a close reflection to the reality.

Cheers,

Pier

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
It's still a sampling, and no, everyone on the boards isn't looking for repair help.

If 20% of the BMW riders are on the internet, and 25% claim there's a transmission failure issue with the RT, then it stands a pretty good chance that 25% (+/- some epsilon) of the BMW riders out there with an RT are having transmission issues.

Unless, of course, being on the internet is the cause for RT transmission failures... :teeth

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
308 Posts
I thought the marketing for the K12S "first cassette clutch" was interesting. Most of the motorcycle world call it a wet clutch. Of course there is no way that they could say the K1200S was "the first BMW with a Wet Clutch" :)

Just kidding, kinda.. I hated the K12RS drive chain. Rest of the bike was great.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Ok. To those of you who believe that 25 percent of the BMWs are going to have a spline failure I have to ask why you're still here??? Get rid of that poorly designed POS and buy a Japanese bike quickly before you have and expensive repair on your hands.

And once you start posting results of an unscientific poll on other websites as real data, it becomes "your" poll.

I don't know if I'll be able to enjoy my ride home today knowing that there is a 1 in 4 chance I won't make it.

--Jerry

·
Registered
264 Posts
Razel said:
It's still a sampling, and no, everyone on the boards isn't looking for repair help.

If 20% of the BMW riders are on the internet, and 25% claim there's a transmission failure issue with the RT, then it stands a pretty good chance that 25% (+/- some epsilon) of the BMW riders out there with an RT are having transmission issues.

Unless, of course, being on the internet is the cause for RT transmission failures... :teeth

Razel, Go to the BMWST discussion group and take a look around. It is much different that here. There are thousands of members, mostly silent, but they quickly start posting AFTER they have a problem. Secondly, almost daily there is a post from someone with a problem who has just joined that day.

I'd say many people who have a problem get advice from friends to got to bmwst and post and guys will give you an answer. I've given that advice, in fact, a buddy of mine just joined and posted his problem this past week.

Like I say, if you really think this is a representative sample and you really think the results are meaningful, you'll shouldn't want to ride one of these bikes.

--Jerry

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
tranny

The police in my state are having heaps of clutch problems with the "r" First gear too high. Another point that may be of interest, we used to remove and regrease the spline in the older K's , to avoid a common spline failure at 80 thou k and above. Workshops now claim with the newer K this is not necessary and likely to be counterproductive.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Papilio said:
The police in my state are having heaps of clutch problems with the "r" First gear too high. Another point that may be of interest, we used to remove and regrease the spline in the older K's , to avoid a common spline failure at 80 thou k and above. Workshops now claim with the newer K this is not necessary and likely to be counterproductive.
Discussions on the R board have concluded that police are trained/allowed to drive in a way that kills the clutch and it isn't a real worry for those of us who ride our bikes sensibly. Even the doom and gloomers seem to agree with this one. As for the spline lube, with all the posts of failues quite a few R-bike owners now lube their splines at some interval that they choose themselves. There are detailed instructions on how to do it available at several places including a video that one guy is selling.

BTW, I was just checking in at bmwst and here is a new guy, just joined, posing his failure asking for help just minutes old:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/651346/an/0/page/0/gonew/1#UNREAD

--Jerry

·
5,163 Posts
Stephejl said:
Like I say, if you really think this is a representative sample and you really think the results are meaningful, you'll shouldn't want to ride one of these bikes.

--Jerry
I don't doubt that there are those on that site too that haven't posted about their tranny non-failures on an RT because hardly anyone reports that they're having no issues. Some do, but it's not an everyday occurrance. And, that's true with almost anything. Not too many folks post about wonderful mechanical situations, because it's expected. You will see lots of post about wonderful riding. I don't know that there's a 25% failure rate with RT transmissions; just saying if you hear about 25 riders complaining out of 100 that can, it's probable. Now, even if it's as little as 15%, that's still a serious problem, in my opinion.

I don't mind riding RT's as demo's, though. Call it self-gratification, but the GT is sooooo much nicer to ride afterwards. :yeah:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
5,163 Posts
Papilio said:
The police in my state are having heaps of clutch problems with the "r" First gear too high.
I think first gear is a bit too high on the K bike as well. Fine if single-riding, but 2-up with gear? Nope...
Here in California, the CHP have had a pretty good run on getting clutch work done under warranty, as it's a "Police" bike and is doing police work. Dry clutch and low-speed manuvers aren't as good of a mix as it would be with a wet clutch. Wonder when (if?) the new K1200P will be making a debut.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Razel said:
I think first gear is a bit too high on the K bike as well.
I'll third this. If I tried to get the Brick moving from a standing start in the same manner as my rice-burning cruiser, it would complain loudly (like it did when I first got it). I'm surprised I haven't managed to stall the engine yet. :ricky

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had a '99 R1100RT and it had 114k on it when I sold it. If my K12RS holds up as well as the RT, I'll be a happy boy! And personally, I don't think those two gearboxes are even from the same gene pool. The K12's is WAY better.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am a perfect example of chiming in because of a failure. I don't want to make it sound like this is a common thing. As a matter of fact I know a lot of k bikers (50 or so) and can't recall any of them having this failure at 40k miles without due cause.

Anyway my bike is in the shop right now for a rear main seal failure that leaked oil onto the clutch plates. Also, they noticed the spline was slipping ever so slightly. So I am having that replaced too.

Now, for the defense of the K's drive train. I have to admit I am not the easiest on the bike. For instance I hit it hard. I have popped the clutch several times in order to pull the front end off the ground for 50-150 feet. Also, I like to nail it going in (Heavy engine breaking) and coming out of the twisties. All of this puts an unbelievable amount of strain on the entire drive train. Of which I am paying for now. I know some will say that it should be able to endure that stuff. Well it has, but abuse will take its toll and you will pay.

Jeff

Blk 02 RS

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anyone know what percentage of people at an AA meeting really ARE alcoholics?

My name is motoman, and I am a BMWholic. :D

·
5,163 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts