BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I currently have Bridgestone 020's front and rear. I asked a mobile tyre fitter last week if i could fit Metler M1's or Brigestone 014's instead of having 020's again, but his reply was that he could only fit what his 'book' went by and that 020's are the ones to get as they have a stronger tyre wall for the weight of my bike. ('97 RS).

Ok, so i phoned up the local dealer and he basically said the same. Except he gave me a couple more choices - non of which were full on sportier tyres.

So, my question to you all is - have any of you run 014's, or Sportec M1's??? I used to have M1's on my Boxercup bike (which doesnt weigh a lot less than the RS!!!) and i loved how they felt.
If you have run sportier, grippy tyres then has anyone had any problems (im worried about this tyre wall issue now!). Im aware about them not lasting as long as sport touring tyres - i need to know who has run what though!!!

Thanks all

Adam

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've run three sets of the M1 and loved 'em. Even used them on multi week tours fully loaded and they performed great. But I've just put about 800 miles on a set of Conti Road Attacks and now won't go back to anything else. These tires have a great feel to them and the change in handling characteristics is really noticable, the bike feels much lighter in the twisties and turn transitions are quicker and lively. I was getting around 3500 miles on the M1 sets so we'll see what the Road Attacks can deliver before the wear bars say it's time.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have about 7000 miles on the Road Attacks and I am sold on them also. My turbo 1200 rex has them but the back tire isn't real happy with it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

This is great stuff!

So why are the dealers and these mobile tyre fitters saying that my bike is too heavy for those tyres - the problem i now have is that in my mind im now worrying about the tyre walls crippling under the weight of a fully laden, two up RS!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
pabuda said:
I've run three sets of the M1 and loved 'em. Even used them on multi week tours fully loaded and they performed great. But I've just put about 800 miles on a set of Conti Road Attacks and now won't go back to anything else. These tires have a great feel to them and the change in handling characteristics is really noticable, the bike feels much lighter in the twisties and turn transitions are quicker and lively. I was getting around 3500 miles on the M1 sets so we'll see what the Road Attacks can deliver before the wear bars say it's time.
I'm replacing my first set of Road Attacks with another. Got 5500 miles out of them.

Love'em

·
Registered
650 Posts
Titto said:
So, my question to you all is - have any of you run 014's, or Sportec M1's??? I used to have M1's on my Boxercup bike (which doesnt weigh a lot less than the RS!!!) and i loved how they felt.
The PO of the Beast had a Pirelli Diablo mounted on the back when the original got worn down and it feels okay to me. I'm not into the nuts and bolts stuff so I can't provide any technical detail/appraisal other than the Beast feels comfortably planted when leaned over. The front will need replacement soon (MEZ4) and I'm probably going to spring for a Diablo there, just to give it a try. It probably can't hurt.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I also came out of a set of Conti Road Attacks, and they were superb.
I pushed them to the limits of the bike (no chicken strips at all) in all kinds of conditions, and never even a hiccup. And got an amazing (for me) 6Kmiles out of them.

So my question to you is: Why do you want sport tires on a KRS? Its cornering angles and power are very modest compared to today's ultra-light literbikes, and a sport-touring tire can handle anything the KRS can throw at them (plus they last a lot longer). It's like putting racing fuel in your wife's minivan; just a waste of money IMHO. And yes, they're designed for a light sportbike; another compelling reason to stay away from them, especially if you do any 2-up or touring with luggage.

·
Registered
65 Posts
ELP_JC said:
I also came out of a set of Conti Road Attacks, and they were superb.
I pushed them to the limits of the bike (no chicken strips at all) in all kinds of conditions, and never even a hiccup. And got an amazing (for me) 6Kmiles out of them.

So my question to you is: Why do you want sport tires on a KRS? Its cornering angles and power are very modest compared to today's ultra-light literbikes, and a sport-touring tire can handle anything the KRS can throw at them (plus they last a lot longer). It's like putting racing fuel in your wife's minivan; just a waste of money IMHO. And yes, they're designed for a light sportbike; another compelling reason to stay away from them, especially if you do any 2-up or touring with luggage.
Road Attacks have been selected by BMW as one of the OE tires on new R1200RT's. Its classed as a "sport touring" tire by all that I've read in the rags and the web.

If that's not an endorsement I don't know what is...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I simply want sport tyres because of the added grip and extra feel they noramlly give. Im not bothered about the mileage, just the added grip.

Thanks all for your help

Adam

·
Registered
326 Posts
Titto said:
I simply want sport tyres because of the added grip and extra feel they noramlly give. Im not bothered about the mileage, just the added grip.

Thanks all for your help

Adam

Unless your first name is Valentino, you'll never be able to tell the difference between full sport tires and sport touring. Go with the Avon's. You'll love the extra miles and they hold fantastic.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just read in Cycle World this morning that Continental is releasing a "Sport Attack" version for the sport biker to compete with Diablo's etc...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
budcarrigan said:
Unless your first name is Valentino, you'll never be able to tell the difference between full sport tires and sport touring. Go with the Avon's. You'll love the extra miles and they hold fantastic.
Im sorry but i beg to differ - you can feel the difference between different rated tyres - i didnt intend this thread to get onto this, but was simply asking for peoples views on sports tyres they had used on the RS. :) and grip level is priority to me over life of the tyre.

Thanks again

Adam

·
Registered
65 Posts
Titto said:
Im sorry but i beg to differ - you can feel the difference between different rated tyres - i didnt intend this thread to get onto this, but was simply asking for peoples views on sports tyres they had used on the RS. :) and grip level is priority to me over life of the tyre.

Thanks again

Adam
Ditto Titto... Sorry I couldn't resist...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Motorrad a German magazine does extensive tests on tires. Their consensus:

sport tourer Metzler Z6
sport Michelin Pilot Power

I would go with the Z6 which is far better than most peoples riding skills. Execellent in both wet and dry conditions and it doesn't stand up when braking in a curve. For the RS the rear tire will have to have a B or C.

·
Registered
36 Posts
:clap: just put a set of contis on my 03 k12 gt....they are amazing compared the the bridgies that was on it..they handle heaps better even fully loaded with sides and topbox full. i hope i get a good few k's outta them but i will buy another set when they do wear out because they are fantastic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts