BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a ride early Spring 2006 down Oregon Coast to Southern ,Ca. then over to Tucson,Az. up to Phoenix. Anyone up for part of this ?
I plan to camp and go the backroads . I ride an 03 Gt .

Billy Benedict (Veneta,Or.)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Spring Ride!!

I would be most interested in a spring ride and had started to plan a ride from Nor Cal down to AZ in April or May if possible.

Going down the left coast sounds like added bonus I could really enjoy. Please send details when possible.

Thanks, fletch

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At this point my plan is late April . I just had the idea of going down the coast to San Diego but now also have the inkling to go further to Baja and then take Ferry across to Hermosillo , Mexico . I then plan to go up through Tucson ,Az. . I have relatives in Phoenix . Return trip through Death Valley , Sequoia Park , and into Yosemite . Of course that all is weather dependant . I will be packed for camping and not Hotels .
so that is my preliminary planning .

Merry Christmas all and IS SPRING HERE YET ?

Billy Benedict

·
Registered
403 Posts
Billy,

I'd go with you and it sounds like a good trip but I would rather not camp. I like to travel light and know there is a warm and dry place to sleep at the end of the day. Any chance you'd consider this?

I'm adding a new GS to the stable so this would be great timing to break in a new bike. I also have a KS and that's a possibility.

Mark

·
Registered
167 Posts
Spring Ride!!0:)

Hey Bill.

I would like to camp and hotel it maybe every 3-4 days to have a warm and friendy place to shower and check e-mail and such. Hot tubs are always a plus too!! I would also like to start closer to the Seattle/Portland area maybe. I am in the Sacramento area so that would require me to travel north to meet up with a riding partner so....So many choices.

I am open to just about anything not involving pain....well, too mch pain anyway....

Com'on Spring

Fletch

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Copromise what do we live in America or something ?
I set the you guys a private message . This type of conversation is athe hard way to GET ER DONE . Call me and see what we can do.

I will ride it no matter what but if we hook up for a day or so then thats cool also.

Billy

·
Registered
167 Posts

Hey Guys.

That all sounds good. Lets call and work out the details. I am at home in the evening after 5 pm so I will PM then call or hook up somehow.

Ride Safe.

Fletch

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm in for this ride.

However, tomorrow morning we're off to Hawaii for New Years!! I know, sucks big time but somebody's got to represent Seattle in Hawaii this time of year and the responsibility fell on me.

I'll be back in a week and we'll get more details together.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hawaii0;))

Ok, But your better wear your water wings just in case.....

Enjoy New Years and we'll hook up when you get back.

Hula Safe.

Fletch

·
Registered
403 Posts
Ok. Made it back from Hawaii safe and sound. We had a fantastic time on Oahu at the Marriott Ko Olina. I highly reccomend it, it's a very nice property and excellent pool scenery.

That said, hope everyone had a great new year.

Now what about this ride? My new GS is in stock at Beaudry Motorsports in Idaho. Just waiting for some add ons to be ordered in and it's ready to go. Looking forward to a great riding season this year.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I pulled out the Atlas this week and I am not positive of my route. I want to do some coast and into Baja . I don't want to cruise I 5 so it is the back roads or the secondary highway's.
My date isn't set in stone but I think last week of April and 1st week of May.
I need to see how much work I have at my assigned customer.
I just purchased a pristine 1971 Nova so that hurt my budget some .
You guy's have my number how about this weekend we hook up on the phone and see where it goes from there.

Billy

·
Registered
403 Posts
Billy,

I am fortunate that my time and schedule are flexible. I've never ridden in Mexico but how bad can it be? Do I need to pack my 45?

Billy, this is your trip so plan it out and let us know. I would probably stay with you to Phoenix/Scottsdale and then go our separate ways. My wife would fly to Scottsdale and I'd be heading home a few days later.

Mark

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mark that sounds good . It seems Fletch is down around Sacramento so you and I could hook up in Eugene or at the coast . I think the first night stay over could be around the Fort Bragg area . I am open to the plan I just want to ride and absorb it as I go. You call me and lets pick a date and then we can discuss our agenda . After that , lets see if it's a go for Feltch. I know too many cooks in the kitchen gets a meal burned but we should be able to pulll this off.

Thanks

Billy

·
Registered
167 Posts

Hey Bill and Mark.

Yeah that would work for me too. I would really like to ride up the OR/WA coast line also so I may be coming up your way before the last week in April, I will just have to see how it goes for me with my time off. I have a friend in the Bandon/ Langlois area that I would stop and visit with and then continue on and maybe we could hook up in Florance/ Lincoln City area. Does ayone have a GPS unit?? I am also looking for one to purchase.

I lived in Phoenix area about 20 Yrs ago and so I would be looking up old friends there too.

I'm sure we could work it out.

I have the phone number and mine is (530) 333-4142 at my office.

Stay Warm.

Fletch

·
Registered
403 Posts
Billy and Fletch

I'll be in Portland this weekend visiting with my daughter so I won't be in touch. We'll talk soon though.

As I've said, I'm pretty flexible and can accomodate changes in the schedule to suit. I don't have a GPS now but may very well have one when the new bike arrives in a few weeks. I want to see how user friendly they are before springing for it.

Here's a thought. Do you both have a current passport or is one required to enter Mexico? I know the rules are changing or already have changed. Mine is current.

Talk to you soon.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
get er Done

My passport is current . I was in Southern mexico 2 years ago and you need B. certificate and , license and your first born. I didn't have any problems with just license and passport. I don't have GPS and if it isn't on the map I won't find it ....
I imagine we will be wet the first day until we get to Southern Ca. so I'm preparing for it.
We still have ample time but I would say I am up for leaving Or. the morning of 04/22 and returning from az the next week. The return I hope to go through Death Valley again , Kings Canyon, Yosemite .

Let me know if 04/22 is good and I will put in for it and go from there.

Billy

·
Registered
167 Posts

I don't have a currant passport so Mexico is not in my plans to visit.

The rest of the trip timing & routing sound good though. I wil put in for 4/20 and head north to at least the Oregon coast up to the Columbia River Gorge I think. You know how you can just end up somewhere just because....

I am also looking for a tank/rear bag for extra storage. I have a set of system cases on my GT now but I don't think that will give me enough room for all my stuff that I think I will need/want to bring....

I'm thinkin a shake down run before then to check it out.

Ride Safe.

Fletch

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks like from Mexico tourism you need a birth cert., a valid state Id . So you don't need a passport . Just look at F.A.Q. for Mexico Travel.

1 - 20 of 254 Posts