BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chaos, thanks :) I honestly dont know yet on the wind deflection, the crosswinds the last two days were insane here, I suspect it will be an improvement though.

I will be putting the OEM fairing on Ebay in the near future, the windscreen in the 'before' image was cracked when I faceplanted so will not be complete :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had a chance to seat of pants compare wind deflection, overall I would say it is a mild, not major improvement over oem, wind is full-on for outside portion of my shoulders & upper arms with a mild improvement to helmet.
 

·
PsyKotic Waterfowl
Joined
·
1,353 Posts
Looks like it might have slightly better wind protection on the knees.

Rode a K75S around the rim of Crater Lake one night in June last year. Man, were my knees cold. (Kevlar lined jeans.) The only way I could keep them half-way warm was to heat up my hands on the heated grips and then put my warm hands on my knees, alternating sides.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dbikers, The fairing is custom built by Sprint Manufacturing in the UK. The Mirrors are OEM, the headlights are Hella and the LED spot / flood lights are from advmonster.com

Can dig up the contact information for Sprint if you like.

Some images of the fabrication and pre-installation:









 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FlyingDuck said:
Looks like it might have slightly better wind protection on the knees.
...

It probably does but I dont think I would be a good judge on that, leg gear I wear blocks all but the bitterest of cold wind. I hadnt even thought about it until you mentioned it :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
inline3 said:
Dbikers, The fairing is custom built by Sprint Manufacturing in the UK. The Mirrors are OEM, the headlights are Hella and the LED spot / flood lights are from advmonster.com
heh, I feel a bit foolish now...Thought it was fairing parts from a TRIUMPH SPRINT but couldn't for the life of me figure out what year..
Online, not sure how you came up with that concoction but it's bad ass . I think it's awesome and dont think i'd change a thing!
Would you ballpark your investment or would it be too painful?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
billday said:
I'm really interested to know more about the fairing and how you got yours (ordered from Sprint? Found on Ebay?).

Thanks,

Bill
Bill, thanks! The contact info is:

Trev.
Sprint Manufacturing
30b Upton Lovell, Warminster, Wilts BA12 0JW

Tel: 01985 850821
Fax: 01985 850963
http://www.triumphparts.co.uk

From what I understand, Trev has been fabricating them for decades. He is a class guy, was very helpful & patient with all of my clueless questions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dbikers said:
heh, I feel a bit foolish now...Thought it was fairing parts from a TRIUMPH SPRINT but couldn't for the life of me figure out what year..
Online, not sure how you came up with that concoction but it's bad ass . I think it's awesome and dont think i'd change a thing!
Would you ballpark your investment or would it be too painful?
I thought it was a Triumph Sprint as well the first time I saw an image of it! heh.

The cost was not cheap, anything handmade in Britain dictates that I think. My cost was approximately $1400 all in including shipping. When I first started looking at the fairing I calculated my cost to be $1200 but a declining dollar relative to the Pound had a pretty significant impact. The variable costs on this are: exchange rates, lighting choice (cibie vs hella vs etc) and labor.

The workmanship is excellent the paintwork was top-notch; Trev contacted me for paint codes to match accordingly. All in all am very happy :)
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top