BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always ride with a helmet and ear plugs, but was recently riding on a tight city street and applied the brakes - and for the first time noticed how the brakes squealed when I applied the linked brakes.

A quick check of the front and rear pads show that they are all good.

Any tips on how to quiet this down? :dunno:

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
It is more likely to happen with metal impregnated HH rated pads than softer Kevlar.

I would clean out any dust in the calipers first and make sure the pads can move in the caliper gap and aren't jammed up. When I've had brake squeal on other bikes that use HH pads I've usually cured it by putting a very thin smear of copper grease on the pad back.

If you've been riding the brakes very hard recently, you could have glazed the pad surfaces. Try roughing up the pad surface and clean with brake cleaner.

One cause of squeal can be a worn rotor with new pads. The outer edge of the pad can contact the less worn outer edge of the rotor. That can be fixed by just rounding off the outer edge of each pad with a file.

No single solution, but a few things to consider.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts