BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Too many times the same scene plays out. I live in Southern California and ride 70% of the time to about 30% as a cager. Today I was caging it in the South Bay with the kids in the car. As I got onto the freeway, a Yamaha R6 passed me on the right on the onramp and started the "Squid" moves most cagers hate about us riders. He then zigged and zagged through all four lanes of traffic thinking he was a "Real" road rider. I just got into the carpool lane and forgot about him. Miles later, "Squidboy" is now behind me in the carpool lane still picking what he thinks are the best lines. As the carpool lane ends and merges to the left, he passes me halfway and almost gets pinched between two cars merging. Being a rider and aware of him behind me, I still had a problem keeping an eye on where he was going. He was all over the place just looking for open holes where a bike would fit. Why do these idiots even ride. I wouldn't wish harm on any rider, but I feel safe this bonehead will be a statistic before me. I feel for the cagers sometimes.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
TheMechanic said:
It sounds to me like He just needs more practice. You cant fault a fellow rider for wanting to play in traffic.....hopefully He learned something that day. As to why you call him a squid....it sounds super condensending to me and Your statement of not wishing harm on any rider sounds like a bullshit lie to me. Squid implies fricken gettin run over and squished! Please keep those thoughts to your self and if you do decide to share them...tell us how you really feel. I mean....we know you want him run over before you get run over as per your statistic statement.......you fricken lawyer!
You sound like you are off your meds!

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Maybe you have a different idea what a "Squid" is. My version comes from motocross in the 1970's. Back then "Squids" or "Pit Squids" where riders who did not obey rules of the race track or pits. They were often stopped and sometimes thrown out for blatent disregard of rules and safety of others. Wheeling through the pits and showing off and quite often causing an accident. Most racers would think to themselves or out loud "What a Squid". Maybe you can explain your version of a squid after you take your sedatives. I personally do not feel all cagers are after me. I ride as though all cagers do not see me for safety reasons but to think they are after me is paranoid. Like I said before and again. I do feel for some cagers and what they have to deal with. There are a lot of "Squid" riders on bikes. Data will confirm that.

Look at this article and the definitions on the right in the tan box.....

http://www.magpie.com/nycmoto/nytimes.html

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think Blkvelvt was describing a squid that fits my definition as well. That rider was unsafe and will hurt himself and somebody soon. Just My .02 $.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TheMechanic said:
Dont call me paranoid......the data might also show two less kids growing up to be lawyers.
You're over the line. See a doctor

·
Registered
70 Posts
It's not only driving cages where I notice this too. Thursday I was riding to work as usual - the last part of my commute shares an access road with Camp Pendelton so there are plenty of young Marines riding to work on their new sportbikes at that time too. I had just finished rounding a gentle left hand turn and was preapring to change lanes to the right. Did all the usual motions - checked my right mirror, hit the right signal looked over my right shoulder and started to move right. Just as I was crossing the white line, a squid came flying out of nowhere - must have been doing at least 120 - and passed me to the right in the remaining part of the right lane. I guessed his speed based on my speed and that he would have to have still been around the previous turn at the time I initiated the lane change for me not to have seen him. There was plenty of traffic ahead as well and he made several close splits to continue on his course and speed. Not only did it scare the crap out of me and my other coworkers as well, but it makes me look bad too - I'm sure everyone at work that day was looking at all us riders as lunatics.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Question 1 is correct.

Definition is also correct.

·
Registered
447 Posts
matanuska said:
Darn! I'll miss all the snide remarks about how torque wrenches and instruction manuals are for sissies! :D
Me too! I thought his comments were pretty interesting - the deleted ones on this post must have been REAL interesting!

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
DebS said:
Me too! I thought his comments were pretty interesting - the deleted ones on this post must have been REAL interesting!
He was looking for an exit. We asked if the exit door was what he was looking for, and it was, so basically, he left.

However, we did allow the door to slam shut behind him :teeth.

Some of his posts were offensive, even if mildly so in some opinions. I believe he was looking for a pissing contest and wasn't getting it, so he kept trying harder. The posts aren't gone, just invisible, kind of letting sleeping dogs lie. If ya'll want them visible to kick it around some more, just ask. Keep in mind, though, that if some of his comments had been directed elsewhere, you might not want them drug back into the spotlight.

Can of worms? What can of worms?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
447 Posts
Razel said:
He was looking for an exit. We asked if the exit door was what he was looking for, and it was, so basically, he left.

However, we did allow the door to slam shut behind him :teeth.

Some of his posts were offensive, even if mildly so in some opinions. I believe he was looking for a pissing contest and wasn't getting it, so he kept trying harder. The posts aren't gone, just invisible, kind of letting sleeping dogs lie. If ya'll want them visible to kick it around some more, just ask. Keep in mind, though, that if some of his comments had been directed elsewhere, you might not want them drug back into the spotlight.

Can of worms? What can of worms?
I understand, and no, I'd rather not see the posts! He did sort of defend my honor once (because Lord knows, I needs defending!!!! :teeth), so I took what he wrote with a grain of salt. You all do a great job of keeping things in check. Thanks to you, El Jeffe, etc. for all the hard work you put into this site. I sure appreciate it!

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
1 - 20 of 44 Posts