BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you were to purchase a new slip on exhaust can for your K1200S and you had the choice between Staintune or Remus, which slip on exhaust can would you prefer and why?

·
Registered
505 Posts
mark5lam said:
If you were to purchase a new slip on exhaust can for your K1200S and you had the choice between Staintune or Remus, which slip on exhaust can would you prefer and why?
Akrapovic... unequalled performance and quality. Check mine out before you buy, Mark.

Charlie Wickliffe

·
Registered
33 Posts
the ONLY way

Akrapovic

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Kneedragger said:
Akrapovic... unequalled performance and quality. Check mine out before you buy, Mark. Charlie Wickliffe
Checked out their website. Looks nice. I know alot of race bikes have them but that's about all I know about Akrapovic at this point. What say you and why Akrapovic over Staintune or Remus? Just curious...
Also, Charlie, do you have a titanium or carbon-fiber can?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Akrapovic

Mark, I don't really know much about Staintune or Remus. I do know you rarely see their products being used by race teams, which seems to say something about performance. Akrapovic has quite a reputation for performance, and I have used their systems on my Japanese sport bikes with impressive results. I haven't done any dyno tests with the KS, but the power increase is obvious and significant. The build quality is flawless, and can be distinguished in a side by side comparison. I have the titanium can on mine. I'll be out riding this weekend if you want to hook up. It's supposed to be 80 degrees over Christmas weekend... oh the torture of living in Southern California.

Charlie Wickliffe

·
Registered
730 Posts
I went with the Laser Ti slip-on- I think BMW is using them on the new Powercup, so I figured it must be pretty good. I'm happy with the performance/looks/sound - wondering how it stacks up against the Akrapovic? Mine was $515 delivered.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Full Remus

I went with the full Remus Ti. 11 extra HP!!!

This is only the second time I've added a full exhaust that REALLY had a noticable performance increase. The other time was a Graves with a Power Commander added to a '04 R1 (14 HP).

Most pipes only add about 3 or 4 HP now days.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Sir Mark.. Funny thing.. Now that I'm an S owner.. I'll be putting a slip-on on my bike soon.. Probably after I have the bike painted during the winter.

as for choosing one..While I have NOT heard them all.... I have the benefit of having many of the choices in stock so I can see what I like.. and have actually heard a few of them.. Personally I have it narrowed down to either the Remus Revolution, the Two Bros M-2, or most likely... the Laser HotCam... While the Staintune offers the most power of ALL the slip-on's out there including the Akropovic, I'm personally looking for a smaller, more distinct look unlike the traditional Staintune. The "S" is a distinct looking bike.. why not a distinct pipe? Also.. the S is a LONG bike. I may choose a shorter canister just to draw the eye away from the Titanic-like wheelbase.

Love both the look AND the sound of the Laser. The M-2 Two Bros looks VERY sleek. and the Akropovic looks sweet too, but all offer virtually the same performance gains no matter what others are saying. Trust me.. there is not one of us out here that could tell a 3 hp gain (or loss) from one brand slip-on over another.. So with the performance issue virtually out of the quotient, you should choose the one that both LOOKS the best to you and sounds the best.

Another thing that most do NOT now right now.. Rhinewest is working on a performance chip for the K1200S.. One version for the Remus pipe.. and one for the Laser. That will probably sway me towards the Laser or Remus. Should be at least 12-13hp boost with the combo and offer a perfectly linear powerband just like they did for the RS and GT.. and add more torque which IMHO is more important than HP.

So with that said... between the Remus and Staintune.. I'd go with the Remus simply because if you want a chip down the line and unmatched hp.. you'll already have a compatible pipe... and they look and sound good, too.

My 2 cents as a fellow rider.. Hope this helps

PS.. In the spring I'm gonna do a head-to-head shootout with ALL the K1200S offerings. Will install at least a dozen slip-on's on the same day... same bike back to back and shoot video for sound, appearance, weight them, measure them. Will invite some S people over to observe for opinions.. That should be interesting. Will NOT be doing a dyno as they are all virtually a dead heat for hp gains..

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
No idea Sir Sportrider.. I spoke with Hank (at RW) a month ago and they were working on the Remus version at that time. They were gonna start on the Laser version next. I didn't ask them for a time frame but he inferred they might have them by early spring.. I'm not calling to ask as I know annoying phone calls just slows them down.. ;-).. but I'm excited about it.. The thought of it shivers me timbers!
sportrider said:
Pirate,

Glad I went with the Laser and when's that chip gonna be out? Argh!

·
Registered
730 Posts
The chip combined with a performance exhaust combined with some free flowing filters...o'h my! :eek: It ought to really wake up the beast within. :bmw:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yeh, what Pirate said. I went with the Remus CF (can only) primarily because I couldn't stand the look of the bazooka on such a beautiful bike and the Remus (oval) is a lot smaller. The CF looks great on the bumblebee and it's even neater with my CF front fender. Regarding performance, can't really tell anything...shit, the bikes so fast anyway. But, it does seem to rev a bit freer. Still idles fine, no stumbles that it already didn't have. I've always liked the Remus sound and this one is no disappointment...baffle still installed. Also, Remus is great quality but the others may be as well. Can't go wrong spending some cash on Remus.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jerry and Charlie,
Good feedback. Thank you very much. Thanks to everyone else that chimed in too :)

What I'm looking for most in a slip on is looks, sound and build quality. The added horsepower increase is a welcome plus however, honestly it's not a priority for me. The bike has enough performance even in it's stock configuration for me.

Thanks to your inputs I'm now considering the Akrapovic (carbon fiber) or the Remus (titanium) slip on as my first two choices. Staintune is running a distant third.
I have the Silver/Gray KS and I thinking the Akrapovic in carbon fiber would look the best and most natural for the bike. I wish the logo on the can was about 1/2 the size but I guess you can't have everything.

Couple other questions:
1. With either of these slip on's, can you just install them and ride or do you have to put the bike on a computer and re-adjust fuel mapping or anything like that. I'm hoping you can just put it on and ride.

2. Charlie, where did you get your Akrapovic? Did you get full system or just slip on and if you don't mind, how much did it cost?

I expect to be out this weekend but not sure when yet. Probably Monday actually as Saturday and Sunday are the holidays. Maybe I can get out Sunday too for a few hours :)

·
Registered
730 Posts
Well, one nice thing about the Laser is that the emblem is a sticker and it peels right off.

I was torn between the Remus and the Laser - liked the quality of the Remus, but didn't like having to buy that connector and wanted a clean look with no badges. I agonized for weeks back and forth and in the end bought the Laser. I went with Titanium, but if your
going to install some carbon fiber bits and pieces, then a cf can would tie it all together nicely. Please no more posts about the weather being in the 80's ! :mad: It was 24 degrees in Georgia this morning! :mad: p.s. no mapping required - 20 minute installation.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Mark, my Akrapovic is a slip-on. They aren't producing a full system yet. It was a simple installation and no remapping is required. I couldn't find a USA distributor that carried them, so I bought it from an English distributor called Apex Leisure: www.apexleisure.co.uk
There was a post from forum member Ruppert who apparently found a USA distributor: http://wickedthunder.com
I don't recall exactly what I paid, but it was around $750.

Charlie

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kneedragger said:
Mark, my Akrapovic is a slip-on. They aren't producing a full system yet. It was a simple installation and no remapping is required. I couldn't find a USA distributor that carried them, so I bought it from an English distributor called Apex Leisure: www.apexleisure.co.uk
There was a post from forum member Ruppert who apparently found a USA distributor: http://wickedthunder.com
I don't recall exactly what I paid, but it was around $750. Charlie
FYI, I just looked at the Akrapovic web site again and according to it, BMWMCNC is an authorized distributor. Hummm???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Akrapovic

FYI. I sent an email to Kevin at wickedthunder [[email protected]] regarding the Akrapovic. He responded immediately and seemed very nice. At that time, 12/14, they had one cf and a couple of Ti in stock. His price was $509 + SH ($12-$12). Seems very reasonable. I've decided to hold off until the spring thaw.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Poklad said:
FYI. I sent an email to Kevin at wickedthunder [[email protected]] regarding the Akrapovic. He responded immediately and seemed very nice. At that time, 12/14, they had one cf and a couple of Ti in stock. His price was $509 + SH ($12-$12). Seems very reasonable. I've decided to hold off until the spring thaw.
Wow... that's very inexpensive. I wish I had found them before I ordered mine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've got the Remus CF. Liked the look of it on the grey bike, sound and build quality. I agree the claimed power increase really is immaterial for most of us. I still have the insert in which produces 94db, street legal here in Australia.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts