BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.
I have a 07 K12R bought new in September of last year. It has 4,000 miles on it now. Since this is not my primary bike, I ride it once a week.
Not being technically savvy, I apologize in advance for the rather crude explanation.
For a few months now I'm having a stalling problem. Sometimes after riding it for 25-30 miles, when I pull the clutch lever and coast to a stop, the engine sputters and stalls. Most times the engine will restart as soon as I push the ignition button, but once in a while after repeated tries it will turn on very briefly idling at a normal 1000 RPMs for a second then the speed will fluctuate between 500 and 1000 and eventually it will die. This will only happen after riding the bike for some time, never the first time when I'm pulling out of the garage. The bike is in stock condition and I only use super unleaded fuel as recommended by BMW.
The bike is under warranty but the problem never manifests itself when I take it to the dealer and hence there is no problem to fix... My dealer reloaded the mapping software and for a week it was running ok but yesterday the problem recurred.
Has anyone out there had the same problem? Any ideas what causes this and how it can be remedied?
Thanks much.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Do a search on stalling on this site and www.i-bmw.com and you will see a lot of stalling problems with KGTs and KSs. The dealers know this stalling happens. My dealer said that it can't be fixed and/or BMW can't fix it. People have tried software updates, new airboxes, new o2 sensors, etc. I just commented on the other site that I put about 3 bottles of techron in the tank over a few fill ups and the problem has gone away. My 07 KS also had a new airbox and a new ecu installed. My problems seem to have gone away after the techron or it could be a coincidence. I only use Chevron or Shell gas, but I have used what I could find a few times. Maybe too much ethanol in the gas over time was the problem.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I know it seems a little weird, but I agree with the techron idea. Have read thsi on other sites, too. I have an 06 R and -- if possible -- it only gets Chevron. I have zero fueling issues. Yes, could be a coincidence, but still... I am running latest software and am 100% stock. But, if you can't solve this yourself, BMW must.

Have a look here, though and be sure to read to the end: http://bmwsuperbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9260&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=stalling

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had the EXACT same problem on my '07 K1200R Sport. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the airbox. They then tried to update my software, but couldn't. I installed a Power Commander 3 and the issue has completely gone away. I have no idea what solved the problem, but it has not reoccurred for the last 5K miles/5months.

Andy

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
i just found out that i have the same problem within the last year. but it has only happened on rides over 150 miles when the weather is warm. i have to keep the throttle open to keep the bike running because when i pull in the clutch it stalls.

I know i can't duplicate the problem at the dealership, but i was tempted to mount my camera and show them. That way they can't say there is no evidence or can't replicate the problem.

i'll get them to check it out tomorrow. i am taking it in for warranty work on a fuel leak.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just developed stalling problem too

This sounds like a problem my bike has just come down with. Refuelled the tank after my last ride the day before, after I dropped the bike on gravel into a corned but no damage except for the RG Sliders again these saved the bike. Rode the bike home about 90 klm.

The next day rode about 100 klm stopped the engine several times and restarted OK then went back to the crash site to check it out (karma?) and the bike started long enough to get into 1st then stopped. Started reved to 3,000 then stopped, tried again and again the same problem, splutters a bit and dies.

If you try to start without turning the ignition off it doesn't seem to want to start. Turn the ignition off and it will start run for 5 secs and stop. Maybe something in the cold startup changes the fuelling?

The fuel pump can be hear running, no alarms on the dash, its like the motor primes and then cuts out from supplying fuel or the electronics cutout. My feeling is that it is more fuel related as from my understanding when electrics stop there is no spluttering.

Taking it to a independent mechanic today rain allowing to have him see what fault codes are there. He come highly recommended for working on BMW but I am unsure of his experience with a K12R he says he has the test equipment.

Any thoughts from anyone is he worth a shot or should I go back to the BMW hacks who have already broken parts on the bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm curious, were you able to duplicate the stalling problem in the shop? Otherwise, how did you get them to change the crankshaft sensor? I'm assuming that this was warranty work...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Catchmefucan said:
I had the EXACT same problem on my '07 K1200R Sport. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the airbox. They then tried to update my software, but couldn't. I installed a Power Commander 3 and the issue has completely gone away. I have no idea what solved the problem, but it has not reoccurred for the last 5K miles/5months.

Andy
Andy, tell me more about your power commander. Did you happen to have a twitchy throttle @ 3,000 rpms prior to the commander install? I have the occasional stall and jerkiness at 3,000 rpms. I've had my airbox replaced and the latest update installed twice.

Thanks,
D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Never was able to get the issue duplicated in the shop. I complained about it during the warranty period, but the dealership could not find a solution until after the warranty had expired (for mileage).

Would have been covered under warranty. Need to submit a claim to Pennacle (the extended service plan people).

Solution finally showed up on the BMW maint. computer system (PUMA??). By then I had already put 78,000 miles on the bike. The sad part of the time it took to diagnose the issue is the crankshaft sensor was indicated in GT stalling problems back in 2006 - discussed in this very forum.

But, the difference has been excellent.

dedeyan said:
I'm curious, were you able to duplicate the stalling problem in the shop? Otherwise, how did you get them to change the crankshaft sensor? I'm assuming that this was warranty work...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went to BMW of North America with my problem. They advised me to take the bike to the dealer. They might have contacted the dealer too. My dealer asked me to bring the bike in. They called me afterwards to let me know that they could see that the problem was the airbox. Apparently the bottom was bent out of shape. So they replaced it with a newer spec box and loaded the latest mapping software (Ver 12 I believe). I've been riding for 2 days now and so far it hasn't stalled. Also, unless I'm just imagining it, feels like the engine is running smoother.
I asked them about the Power Commander 3 (mentioned above by catchmefucan) and was told that it would void the warranty. However, if I chose to take that route, that there were far better options than Power Commander. Since my warranty is valid for another 2 years, I left it at that.
Lastly, they told me that if the problem persists, I should let them know and they would contact BMW in Germany to find a solution which was reassuring.

·
contributor
4,827 Posts
TomT1 said:
Thanks JCW. :clap:
Where do I get the 20% off deal, that you mentioned?
Chicagobmwmotorcycles

Funny thing is that if the service guys cut you a break, a lot of times, I've heard of people getting parts installed for cheaper than that 20% off list BMW price. I think a couple people had their clutch pack installed for less than I paid for just the parts. It's such a SCAM!

But the good thing is this part is less than $100 with the discount I think.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks, once again. I looked at mine and it's a piece of cake to replace. I ordered a manual, so I could find out how to test these parts before spending lots of cash on the trial and error theory.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts