BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My K1200RS fell from its stand on 12th October 2006 - replacement parts were ordered by the local ( Tas) BMW dealership on 18th October 2006 - the bike is of the taxi variety and the assessor stated that a painted left upper fairing should be supplied by BMW Australia rather than attempt to colour match the original. By APRIL 2007 BMW had not been able to get the fairing from Germany. Not only couldnt they get the fairing they were still unable to provide any definitive date as to the likely delivery date.

After 6 months of waiting, I have been advised that a "grey" panel is to be sent from BMW Australia and to be painted by a local spray painter.

If spray painting is now the preferred option in April 2007, yet wasnt acceptable in October 2006, it starts to make you wonder.

I am very disenchanted. I have really enjoyed the bike, however this issue highlights what appears to be a focus by BMW Aust to sell new bikes and disregard current owners unless they are about to buy a new one.

I am curious how many others have suffered at the hand of BMW Aust's apparent disinterest in existing owners.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I've had both excellent, and fairly average service from BM Dub in Oz.
When I purchased a new 04 GT, Townsville BM replaced the WHOLE side fairing for a moulding fault that I was willing to use a paint touch up pen on. They also replaced a saddle bag lid due to a factory blemish.
Conversely, when the meat head removalists damaged my 06 GT, it took almost 8 weeks for replacement break lines to arrive from Der Fatherland (nil stock in Oz.)
I didn't get as good a level of service under insurance from the Southern Dealership as I did from Townsville BM on purchase, so I'm sure there is a difference with this issue as well.
All in all, I'm happy with BM. I wonder what Ducati or some other marques of non Japanese origin would be able to do in the same situation???

Best wishes mate.

Ken.

P.S Did you try a wreckers, as it may have been a cheeper, more expedient option?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Bm

When my taxi was damaged the fairing was available, however the bike was written off. They have offered to go further than I required for matters under warranty, and even out of warranty. (discoloured exhaust replaced free when out of warranty) My only complaint is that they charge like wounded bulls for their maintenance. (hey Ken I see 3 defence force people died coming from Swan Island (car crash) Thats ASIO territory?)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Papilio said:
When my taxi was damaged the fairing was available, however the bike was written off. They have offered to go further than I required for matters under warranty, and even out of warranty. (discoloured exhaust replaced free when out of warranty) My only complaint is that they charge like wounded bulls for their maintenance. (hey Ken I see 3 defence force people died coming from Swan Island (car crash) Thats ASIO territory?)
G'day PAP.
Yep, actually ASIS. (My ex came from there. What an interesting time that was!)
The three fellas were SAS Regiment.

Best wishes mate.

Ken.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Greetings gentlemen.

If I had to commit my two BM's to BMW Australia's mechanics, I would sell them and ride an FJR.

I take mine to a private BMW mechanic and get service and quality that is so far ahead of what BMW could ever imagine possibly imagine. Take my BM's to BMW Australia...never. I've heard too many first hand "let down" stories from many, many owners. Here in SA, BMW Australia seem too busy tending to the Police contract than to civilian customers.

Kindest regards to all.

Paul Harrington
AU

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ours is a new dealership in Tassie, last year the BMW dealers were also the Suzuki dealers, their outlet was in the more industrial area of our city, it was basically a big shed with a showroom out the front. BMW put the acid on the dealer to build a yuppie outlet, and combined without the pressure applied from the newly opened BMW car franchise, the old dealers lost the dealership.

We now have a yuppie outlet, with all the modern looking glass and chrome fittings, and only new bikes in sight. The guys manning the place are good individuals albeit driven by try hard management, who are focusing only on sales and ignoring the fact that all the bikes on the road are "second hand" after they have been sold.

I was bitter over the period of time I waited for my parts, 7 months. Bear in mind we are talking about a bike that fell off its stand and all the damage was generally cosmetic etc, It was about 1.5 to 2 hour job to effect the repair. I took the bike in on the Monday morning, I should note that I removed the left fairing, the belly pan and the front mudguard for them, placed all the screws in individual envelopes with details of where they went. When I arrived at the dealership, I asked a staff member where to park my bike. He pointed outside, I have a woollen seat cover and it was overcast, so I said the bike had to go under cover and I was directed to the workshop. As I rode in, I noted another customer's R1100RT on the work bed, the fairings were lying on the floor!!!!

I was a little concerned by the fairing situation there, given that I had to wait 7 months for a fairing that was damaged.

On the Wednesday I called in to find out if the bike was ready. I walked in to find that works were still going on inside the workshop getting the new yuppie feel right. I was slightly incensed to see two guys moving around the workshop on a scissorlift elevated work platform amongst the bikes, elevated 7-8m, not a single bike was covered. My bike had been moved from where I parked it and a pile of jackets were sitting on it.

I had to walk out of the place, to avoid getting myself in trouble.

I returned at 4.00pm on the Friday, to find my bike hadnt even been touched. 5 days sitting doing nothing even though I had been told to leave it there and it would be done during the week. You would think after they had made so many mistakes and delays in getting the part you would go to some lengths to get the bike done, but no.

I lost my cool at this time and advised the Bike Sales Consultant, and the Service Manager that I would take my bike as it was and contact the insurance company ( again) and arrange for the parts to be released and I would get the work done elsewhere. Up until this time the Insurer advised that the work had to be done by the dealer, I could have done the work in 2 hours. I left prior to making a mistake and hitting someone.

I returned home contacted the insurer and said that I had finally had enough, I had the bike back and I wanted the parts paid for and I would arrange the repair myself. They said they would get back to me. I drove back to the dealership in a vehicle to collect the screws, and the oil cooler shroud. I was met by the Sales Manager, Parts Manager and the Service Manager, I was not happy, and told them so, they said they just wanted to make me happy, I told them to give me the parts and I would be happy. The Insurers rang the dealer ship whilst I was there and told them to release the parts to me.

I was advised that the Service Manager was on probation and this matter would reflect badly on him. He further explained that the saga with my bike had begun before he started there, and he was not aware of the full situation. It was made quite clear to me that the three individuals would come under some pressure if the parts only were invoiced and not the repair and that questions would be asked. I very quickly learnt that the staff are under some form of pressure by the Hobart based management. If you can call it management.

After further discussion, I agreed to bring the bike back, bearing in mind this is now 5.00pm on a Friday afternoon to allow them to repair it. I got the bike back and was told it would be ready on Wait for it.............WEDNESDAY!!!!!!!!.

When I arrived on Wednesday, it was done, it was on the bed, covered by a BMW flag, and the workshop was imacculate ( I had ripped into them on the Friday about the condition of the workshop and people driving an elevated work platform between bikes). I was absolutely delighted to have my bike back and looking good. It was finally over.

TO RECAP
It fell over on 12th October 2006 and on that day I contacted the State Manager of BMW Autohaus on that day, their Hobart Parts guy contacted me, the insurance assessor came and viewed the bike, I was told by the Autohaus staff that the parts would take 3-4 weeks, in the ensuing months, I contacted them, BMW Australia, BMW Germany and threatened legal action after 6 months of waiting. I kept asking for an expected delivery date but couldnt be given one. The problem was that it was the yellow/grey cheqeured paint scheme and the Insurance assessor said they wanted it replaced not repaired due to the possibility of problems with job. during the months of waiting, BMW Australia decided they would paint the panel, I agreed because I was sick of it. I turned up to leave the bike at the panel beaters so they could do a colour match, only to find that BMW had supplied the right hand side, not the left, and there were no decals.

Anyway on 3rd October 2007 I got my bike back - and I like my bike but I would like to warn anyone in Tassy that if anything at all happens to your BMW bike, get it on the ferry and over to Southbank in Melbourne, it will be quicker.

As an aside my wife's BMW car has been back three times for an oil leak, it still has a leak, I am not going there -..............

BE WARNED

·
Registered
331 Posts
Its not only BMW that has a problem. My VW Transporter turbo diesel was off the road for over two months waiting for a new turbo under warranty. A couple of months later it was hit in the tailgate by an errant truck while parked and the tailgate and all associated trim pieces etc hat to be replaced. The repairer had the car for nearly three months waiting for all the required parts to arrive. He was tearing his hair out with wrong parts being delivered repeatedly after many weeks of waiting for them and very poor service from the WA parts people.

Seems that German vehicles have a bit of a problem in this area. They seem to have some strange culture regarding delivery of parts in the German factories and the parts orders seem to take for ever to leave Germany for some reason.

I now have a BMW K1200GT and a new VW Multivan and I have waited for long periods already for warranty parts on both. My dealer said on Friday that the new airbox for the high idle issue on my bike will be here in "about a week". I will start to worry in about 1.5 months, which I think is what passes for a week for the Germans! It has only been three months so far since they were ordered.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Name Change

They are now called Launceston BMW - name change only- expect the same standard of service

·
Registered
331 Posts
Good to see someone is still alive in Australia, Sage.

I got my air box in two weeks (see my last post in this thread) so they weren't far off in their estimate. I am quite impressed.

·
Registered
109 Posts
13 weeks tomorrow

When I hit the roo on the K1200R 13 weeks ago yesterday, little did I know I would still be bikeless today.

The crash was frontal. Damage was mainly to the headlight unit - trashed - and the radiator - cracked and bleeding. Probably the oil cooler or associated hoses. The bike wouldn't start.

The insurance assessor arrived 3 days after the bike landed in the dealers shed.

Unfortunately the service manager had made no attempt to find out what was wrong, let alone prepare a quote.

2 weeks later the assessor returned. This time the service manager had a quote including just about everything in front of the engine - all up $8000+. The service manager had removed only the right hand radiator shroud and 2 screws.

I contacted the insurance co at 4 weeks and they said the green light to repair had been given. I told the service manager who seemed both not to know about the green light, and not particularly interested. He said that he would be doing no more work on the bike until the parts arrived "ex-Germany" as an emergency order VOR (vehicle off road). he told me that BMW Australia don't keep much stock for the K1200R, and consequently just about every part would have to be imported, not simply taken off a shelf.

I took the bike home to sit in my garage. Safe.

5 weeks later I took the bike back as the dealer said the parts would arrive soon.

3 weeks later I called and the service manager said that, although he had done no preparatory work at all, things were progressing. Parts for my bike had arrived 2 days prior, but as no attempt had been made to unpack and check the inventory yet, he couldn't say what was in the boxes.

He was "pretty sure" everything would be there, but was waiting for the front wheel - due Dec 15th ex-Germany, uncertain of time in customs.

The service manager's strategy: don't start work on the bike until all parts arrive. (remember, he does not know exactly what is broken). If, during the pulldown, something else is found to be broken "don't worry, we'll put it through as a VOR and it will be here ex-germany in about a week" (told me about the VOR back at the 4 week stage). Of course, what this means is that on about 15th December they may find a broken widget that they should have found on September 15th, had they looked.

I called his boss the manager to provide some customer feedback in the form of a complaint. The manager spoke with the service manager and got back to me: "in hindsight this probably could have been handled differently, however, we will start(!!) work on your bike a couple of days earlier than planned". He did not see a problem with waiting 3 months before looking to see what was broken.

I called BMW Australia to provide customer feedback in the form of a complaint and was told to put it in writing. Done.

No answer for a week, so called back. Had my call returned by Fergus from "Customer Service". He said no way were BMW Australia in any way to blame for the parts delay, even if the dealer had blamed the delay on a lack of supply. He said he could not comment directly on my case as he did not know WHICH parts were on the shelf in Melbourne at any time. Fergus initially suggested the dealer was to blame. Then he said "he had been told the main reason for the delay was that the bike was unavailable because the owner (me) had removed it from the dealers".

He accepted my explanation that the dealer had done zippo for a month before and a month after the bike was out of his workshop, and had told me he wasn't going to do anything at any stage anyway, until BMW Australia sent the bits.

Then Fergus said that the matter had nothing to do with BMW Australia anyway: "You have a contract with your insurance company and your insurance company has a contract with the dealer, NOT BMW Australia. I suggest you contact your insurance company as THEY are probably the hold-up". QBE said they gave the go ahead on advice from the assessor on the 3rd of October.

Tomorrow is the 15th Dec. Bike should be ready.

In 12 days I will be taking A MOTORCYCLE to Tassie. I hope it is the beemer, not the Hayabusa.

Based on what appears to be rubbish after sales service, and despite what a fantastic bike it is, this will be my first and last BMW motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
roo

Perhaps you should have given the roo a bit of help. I truck reversed into me, bike was a write off. Similar damage to yours. QBE cleared it and I had found another with 10 k on it for $15000, bit over a year old. I think it cost me about a thou to upgrade from my 130000k bike. I was bikeless for about 2 weeks.

·
Addict-oholic
1,416 Posts
Sounds like BMW in Australia is the pits. When I had a laydown with bambi in Nov 2006 and my bike was 3 months old. it only took 4 weeks form BMW in the uSA to get all the needed parts including fairing and 6 other plastic pieces plus seats and taillight etc. Maybe BMW prefers the USA as we have more bikes and cars of theirs......

·
Registered
109 Posts
Went in to pick up the bike on Monday 15th as advised.

No work started yet, likely to "start by Thurs/Friday. Hopefully all will be ok by Christmas eve."

Discussed the sales manager's priorities and he decided to start on 15th.

Arrived 16th, 1130am. "Almost finished" said one of the boys. "Wrong front wheel" I said.

Having landed in Australia 17th Nov, the wheel had never been taken out of the box until 16th Dec. Even then they didn't notice (or hoped I wouldn't) that htey had removed a wheel with curved spokes (just like the rear wheel, fellas) and replaced it with the 'Y'-spoked variant. Now the service manager thinks my old wheel "might be ok, I only ordered a new one because after hitting the kangaroo I thought you deserved a new wheel". Like, is it round or is it not round? Knucklehead.

They realise they have lost me as a customer, but the boss and the BMW salesman nearly collapsed when the service manager stupidly said to me: "Anyway, you're not the customer, the insurance company is the customer". Contract law issues aside, its not the insurance company that walked out the door soon after, it was me. Followed by an anxious salesman calling out "you are the customer, you are the customer".

The bike can't be too far off finished. They haven't EVER connected it to their computer to see why it lost all power at the time of the crash.

Anyway, the dealer in the next town offered my wife $5000 discount straight off the top on a new K1200R.

·
Registered
166 Posts
OX-34 said:
Anyway, the dealer in the next town offered my wife $5000 discount straight off the top on a new K1200R.
There's a demo black K12R in Melbourne for $18k, but that's available to all of us plebs.

Your story utterly sucks to read. I can't find words to express such incompentance.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Finally have the K1200R home

Thursday 18th December.

There were 3 main components damaged:

Headlight unit...............replaced....oops, sorry, new one arrived broken.
Front wheel..................replaced....oops, sorry, wrong one arrived.
Radiator.......................replaced....ok.

1 out 3 ain't bad.

But I can relax. The dealer has ordered the new new wheel and the new new headlight as a VOR. Apparently this means an emergency "vehicle-off-road" order.

Can't help but think I have heard this term used before........ like 15th September.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Standard of Service BMW Launceston BMW Hobart

Sage said:
My K1200RS fell from its stand on 12th October 2006 - replacement parts were ordered by the local ( Tas) BMW dealership on 18th October 2006 - the bike is of the taxi variety and the assessor stated that a painted left upper fairing should be supplied by BMW Australia rather than attempt to colour match the original. By APRIL 2007 BMW had not been able to get the fairing from Germany. Not only couldnt they get the fairing they were still unable to provide any definitive date as to the likely delivery date.

After 6 months of waiting, I have been advised that a "grey" panel is to be sent from BMW Australia and to be painted by a local spray painter.

If spray painting is now the preferred option in April 2007, yet wasnt acceptable in October 2006, it starts to make you wonder.

I am very disenchanted. I have really enjoyed the bike, however this issue highlights what appears to be a focus by BMW Aust to sell new bikes and disregard current owners unless they are about to buy a new one.

I am curious how many others have suffered at the hand of BMW Aust's apparent disinterest in existing owners.

Excrement Service on both Motor Cycles and Motor Cars - cant keep staff, turnover would appear to be quicker than sales - This organization must be an absolute bonanza for all of the other dealers - they are probabaly happy with 10 or 12 sales a year and only pissing off about 25%.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Take Hope in Tassie -

The Word is that there may be change at foot - but BMW now is no longer an exclusive brand, just dearer than Jap, with more gadgets, I am keeping mine becuase I like it, but it is interesting how far the marque has fallen in the eyes of the general public, and moreso by people who have received very poor service - especially in Tasmania

·
Registered
15 Posts
BMW parts in NZ

Seems like you guys in Oz have had some major problems with your local importers and their dealers.
Here in NZ I have found the service to be very good.
Whilst delivering my K1100RS to its new owner the side stand fell off and all the associated bits with it. I managed to jury rig it to get the motor to start etc.
Rang my dealer, he emailed me the pic of the stand so I could identify what I needed.
I sent back an email with what I needed. The word was 2 parts were in Auckland and 2 would have to come from Germany. I got all the parts in 4 days !
Could not believe that the parts from Germany actually arrived at the dealers premises the day before the parts from the importers in Auckland got there.
No complaints here !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts