BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. I came into the possession of an '04 RS back in April this year. Only had about 7.5k miles on it. I've put about 5k miles on it since. It was garage kept and sat on a battery tender for long periods of time. Recommended maintainece was always done. I get it in April and keep it in covered outdoor parking. Bike ran great all summer. Fluids we're replaced in August. Recently, the starter has been a bit sluggish starting it up around noon to go to work but in the evening coming home I've had no issues. The other day, the starter spun once and then nothing. All the dash lights are on and the headlight is on, so the battery isn't to blame. I curse my misfortune and drive to work instead. I get home in the evening and havea thought to try starting it up again. Started up no problem. Made me more confused. Anyone have any thoughts as to why the starter is crap in the morning but not at night? I'm in Phoenix Arizona and the temperatures are between 70° and 85° right now.

tl;dr
starter won't work in the morning but works at night.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It’s the battery. Mine did the same, all good, no sign of trouble and then turned over 2, 3 times and done. Battery wasn’t quite 2 years old, and it was on a bmw tender thru the colder months (though it still got ridden regularly). Be EXTREMELY careful changing the battery. The iABS module is right next to it and very sensitive.. ask me how I know.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s the battery. Mine did the same, all good, no sign of trouble and then turned over 2, 3 times and done. Battery wasn’t quite 2 years old, and it was on a bmw tender thru the colder months (though it still got ridden regularly). Be EXTREMELY careful changing the battery. The iABS module is right next to it and very sensitive.. ask me how I know.
I forgot my father had given me a battery tender when he packed up the bike for shipping. Hooked it up for about an hour and a half till it said more than 80% charged. Unhooked it, and she fired up just like normal. Still going to change the battery though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts