BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 K1200 GT K44
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a K1200GT K44 and when I try to start it the starter kicks and the display goes out completely.
I have monitored the battery voltage and it dies when the starter is pressed.
I have fitted a fully charged new battery with the same affect.
I have disconnected the wire to the starter motor and when I press the starter the display stays on as normal.
I have removed the starter and it appears stiff to turn.
Is this a normal occurrence with a faulty starter and can I disassemble the motor to see why it is stiff to turn.
Do I need to purchase a new motor or is there anything else I should check?
Any recommendations?
Many thanks Trevor

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have fixed that problem with a few motorcycles....

I am giving generic instructions that will work on any motorcycle!!! If you need more help, I can send you the K44 images that show the parts on your bike.

Perform these steps in order until the problem goes away. If it does not, then you will have to replace the starter and starter solenoid.

Step one, clean the terminal connectors that connect to the battery. They will look gray, the should be bright chrome or brass color.

Step two, find the starter relay. if you have a multi-tester, you can test it, if not bring it to a local shop, they have a tool to check the resistance of the NO circuit.

Step three find the starter motor, there will be a large solenoid there. Clean the contacts in and out of the starter primary solenoid. it's the high amperage one, next to the starter.

Step 4, bring a 10AWG wire from the positive terminal to the positive terminal of the starter solenoid.

Step 5 , find what ever bolt is closest to the starter solenoid, and use a ring terminal and 10AWG back to the negative of the battery.

·
Registered
2007 K1200 GT K44
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have now rectified the problem by fitting a new starter motor.
When I took the old starter motor to pieces it was found that the armature had a burnt smell and when I checked with a multi meter every winding was a dead short to earth and each other.
Its obviously been failing slowly as it was always a bit sluggish when starting compared to the new motor.
Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thats awesome. Failing starters are oft like fading paint, they degenerate imperceptibly.
Was it a rough go? Show us your dead armature pics.

Years ago my fuel pump died and after the brutal extraction the brushes were still OK but the copper wore through as thin as tissue in places.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts