BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a very local neighbor, fab guy who is going to make my hitch. He's a retired welder, custom car fab guy. I've seen his personal work and he's very meticulous, which was just what I was looking for. He scheduled me for July 29, 2019.

I have a Unigo which I've pulled with a Goldwing many, many miles. I love my K-GT but I like to camp and I don't want to load the backseat with gear. It pulled behind the Wing unnoticed and it had little to no fuel mileage differences. When I camp I don't cook so I don't have to take much gear. Tent, sleeping bag/pad, small soft cooler (6 pack) and my Kermit chair. I like to find local eateries and either dine in or bring it back to camp and enjoy with an adult beverage.

I will post pics of this process for the forum.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I got the bike back and put rear end body/light/luggage rack back and hooked up the Unigo for a test ride. First test was empty and everything went great. Next I loaded up with maybe 50 lbs of gear and that test ride went fantastic also. I ordered trailer wiring from Bill from Texas Unigo dealer and I hope they’ll be here Monday or Tuesday. The fab guy did an excellent job of making not only a very sturdy hitch with neat welds and aesthetically very attractive. He’s a master welder and does a lot of work on custom cars. I was very pleased with his performance.

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts
How long have you had the GT? Please report back how it handles after going through cross winds with the trailer and top box attached.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure

I will be happy to. I can tell you that pulling it in my first test yesterday of about 12 miles it tracked right behind and no movement side to side at all. I pulled this Unigo behind my GL1800 Goldwing for thousands of miles cross country a couple of times. You would never know it's behind you. When you park it was easier to be able to pull forward when leaving vs. backing up. The GL had reverse but with such a short tongue it'll jack knife in a short distance. I would not want to peddle it backwards up a slope if I could help it. It becomes second nature to park heading out.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The question is, how long have you had the GT. I and a few of my friends have had issues riding in crosswinds with 49L cases and the billboard sides on the GT's. If you haven't experienced this yet, it will be a big surprise when it happens. A Goldwing is much more stable in a crosswind because it doesn't have the same bodywork as a GT. Coming from a R1200RT this was my one complaint.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

This is my 3rd GT, first 1300. No I haven't experienced riding in any strong crosswind with the GT's I've owned. I sure I don't have the strong winds of the Prairies that you experience. The Unigo tucks into the bike's slip stream and you never feel it back there. I've pulled several motorcycle campers behind the Goldwing to California and they require a lot of thought and planning while in motion, and speeds are lower. The Unigo is nearly effortless.

·
Registered
365 Posts
It's not prairie winds. If your GT's were models before 2006, the bodywork is a little different. The first time I experienced the high wind instability was going over the 14 freeway in California near Angeles Crest forest. I hit wind and rain and had to slow down to 50 mph while a CHP officer flew by me doing 70 on an RTP. The Unigo might be very stable, but I was just wondering how the bike would handle in a crosswind pulling the trailer. I've had some pretty interesting events going over overpasses with the 49L case on. I think the problem is the airflow over the windshield and rider hitting the front of the case if there is nothing there to block it. Like a passenger. It kind of act likes a parachute. I only use my 49L case for extended trips over two weeks. The rest of the time, I use a 33L BMW tail bag that has no issue with wind.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
More pics

Close ups of hitch side view. Rear bracing and rear view pics, I can't seem to get them posted right side up, not for lack of trying.

Attachments

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Pic looks OK to me.

Hitch looks good, too. Nice work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
1200gt

I pulled a unigo with my K1200gt, no problems.The cross wind thing is real,I remember one time comming from Labrador down the west coast of Newfoundland the wind was very strong and the bike was layed right over so we could go in a straight line. A little care and riding adjustment was all that was needed. The trees there were leaning inland from the wind,the locals call them tuckamores. Take care safe ridding. Mike

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yep

I pulled a Aspen camper behind my Goldwing and traveling across South Dakota the winds were howling. I had to lean it over like I was making a left hand turn. It was a 200 hundred mile turn at that. Trailer really didn't add to the severity of the situation it was the wind pushing on the bikes body. The trailer just followed in behind with no wiggling at all.

I was trying to post 2 other pics that i shot vertically and I couldn't get them to post right side up even after editing them several times. They kept wanting to post upside down. I'll take new pics on a horizontal layout and post. That way you can see the framework from a couple other angles. I found another OP with pics from another website and kept them in my files until I could find a fabricator who would make it. Those pics were very helpful and we just copied his work which I'm sure saved me some money in the long run. That's really the reason behind this posting, maybe someone else has thought about pulling a Unigo behind their KGT.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts