BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeking thoughts on starting a ride from Northern VA to Norman OK on a 2006 K1200GT. With the effects of Ernesto (predicted rain and winds for at least the first 375 miles of a 1320 mile trip) would anyone bother?

I do not like the GT's performance in rain and wind, but seeking other thoughts.

Thanks!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Actually I think that the GT performs GREAT in rain and wind. However, how it does in rain is more a matter of the tires you are running on. IMHO the Metzlers do a better job in the rain the the B'Stones.

I say go for it. You can be out of the swath of the storm pretty quickly.

Brian

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
bnblazer said:
Actually I think that the GT performs GREAT in rain and wind. However, how it does in rain is more a matter of the tires you are running on. IMHO the Metzlers do a better job in the rain the the B'Stones.
Brian
+1

·
Registered
232 Posts
We're getting slammed by Ernesto right now; we were leaving this morning for the Sherando Lake (VA) rally, but won't go until tomorrow..way too much water on the roads. I'd wait until tomorrow to leave since hydroplanning is no fun on any bike. Oh, and what do you mean by not liking it in rain and wind? Having done lots of both up in Canada in July, it's great (in my opinion).
Greg

·
Registered
7 Posts
GregC said:
We're getting slammed by Ernesto right now; we were leaving this morning for the Sherando Lake (VA) rally, but won't go until tomorrow..way too much water on the roads. I'd wait until tomorrow to leave since hydroplanning is no fun on any bike. Oh, and what do you mean by not liking it in rain and wind? Having done lots of both up in Canada in July, it's great (in my opinion).
Greg
Greg, if you leave this afternoon, I believe you'll have your choice of the best campsite. :ricky

Happy trails!
Bob Chapman

·
Telepathetic
440 Posts
Well since you are seeking thoughts, I would have thought of some place besides Norman, OK to ride to. ;)

Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was going to Norman to watch a football game, get in pre-retirement longride.

To me the GT is a bit flighty in the rain and wind (e.g., the combination). The rear tire seems to have the same level of traction as the front.

I have only ridden in Germany, France, Austria, England, Scotland, and in eastern parts of the United States and on BMWs, Yamahas, and Suzukis so my experience is a bit limited. But, having ridden in several severe (e.g., Earnesto) conditions, I would have gone on the K1200LT I traded for the GT without thinking about the conditions now. I guess I am still adjusting having only ridden the GT for 2.5 months.

I am going to switch tires when they wear out (talked to the service manager about it just yesterday in preparation for the trip), but the tires still have about 40% of the life left.

Thanks for the replies. As mentioned, I will switch tires so I genuiely appreciate the several comments.

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts