BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Starting problem

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  djhdjh 
#1 ·
When my 03GT which I just purchased sits for more than 3 days, the starter will not turn over. Lights look bright. Checked the battery (05 exide gel) and found that when charge is 12.5 volts it will start, but when it drops to 12.0 it will not. Just a minute on the charger and it starts right up. Any suggestions?

#3 ·
starting

I have not been locking the handlelbar, but I will start doing so. I removed the battery and put a charger on it. It would get up to 14 v. and then I could take the charger off and with voltmeter see charge drop back down to about 12.5. Guess the battery has a problem. I plan on putting in an Odyssey 680. Had one on my RT and no problems.

#5 ·
djhdjh said:
I have not been locking the handlelbar, but I will start doing so. I removed the battery and put a charger on it. It would get up to 14 v. and then I could take the charger off and with voltmeter see charge drop back down to about 12.5. Guess the battery has a problem. I plan on putting in an Odyssey 680. Had one on my RT and no problems.

Good plan. I agree it is a battery problem and use/like the pc 680 a lot. --Jerry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.