BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys and Gals,

This will be cross-posted to several forums so bear with me. I am looking to replace the stock horn with something with more OOMPH.

Stebel (www.stebel.it) has an electromagnetic and an electropnuematic series of horns for the motorcycle and just wanted to hear what other riders may be using to wake up cell-phone wearing jackasses on the road.

TIA,

Kaos

·
Registered
370 Posts
Compact Nautilus Rules!

I just installed the compact Nautilus on my 04 K1200GT. AWESOME! Sounds like a semi-truck is coming up your ass! I made a simple bracket that fits in the original spot. Put an inline fuse on the spade fitting but did not use the relay that came with the horn (the bike already has one). Used original wiring. Perhaps a heavier wire straight to the battery would up the ante....but believe me, it is plenty LOUD as it is. Very pleased. The original horn sounded like a mosquito with a head cold. Cheers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Magnum for Me

Had a Magnum to upgrade my 1150RS. Fitted one to my 03 K1200GT recently . Quick loud fix in limited space not much sound difference to the Nautilus without the fixing hassle. No relays to worry about just a couple of wires to cut to the original horn and two spade connectors to fit. The original bracket holds it with a small amount of bending to miss the forks and cruise control box. Loud enough to wake dozing cage drivers and a reasonable priced fix. It has to be orientated the correct way round opening down to stop water ingress.
Frank :ricky

·
Registered
35 Posts
I instralled the compact Nautilus on my wife's r1150 gs Ad. I used a power supply to the battery with the relay supplied. It is LOUD! The loudest motorcycle in Milaukee, but only when you want it.

I was at a stop light on this bike next to a harly, he was really surprized when he started reving his engine and could no longer hear it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Horns my boy!

fastjohnny said:
I just installed the compact Nautilus on my 04 K1200GT. AWESOME! Sounds like a semi-truck is coming up your ass!
Fast Johnny is right. Go for the (very), compact Nautilus. Fits right in the space available, and will scare them and you when you push the button.

·
Registered
370 Posts
JDGT said:
I just put ont he compact Nautilus as well (with relay) . It is very loud
"When the frost is on the punkin and the fodder's in the shock,

You best get out my way, I'm honkin'! And I ain't got time to talk!"

-with apologies to the venerable James Whitcomb Riley, native son of Greenfield Indiana.

(I am a Hoosier myself, Cheers).

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hooonnnkkkk

FWIW

It seems that the manufacturer recommends that the horn be mounted in such a way as to have the compressor in a vertical position.
The risk is some sort of premature malfunction down the road.

I found this information on the Twisted Throttle (a vendor) website and over at ADVRider.

I just had a Steble Nautilus Compact installed on my 12GS, it is loud, and the compressor is mounted in a horizontal position. (as per an install kit)

DMilan
'04GT
'05GS

·
Registered
177 Posts
I just installed the Magnum on my K1200S bike, I used the original spot and spent some time properly adjusting it, and otherwise it makes contact with surrounding components.

I found the horn very loud - 136db vs. 139db for the Nautilus, not a noticeable difference.

I don't understand where the guys who installed the bigger Nautilus found a spot for it, the original place has no too much room and I never even considered that horn. Maybe on a GS or other naked bike but the S ?????

The Italian website has measurements of the two products so everyone can see the size difference, or maybe I am missing something?

Cheers,
Nick

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have seen on some of the performance shops steering ppl with the S away from the Nautilus due to size issues...I also opted for the Magnum, tho I havent installed yet.

Kaos

nickbenin said:
I just installed the Magnum on my K1200S bike, I used the original spot and spent some time properly adjusting it, and otherwise it makes contact with surrounding components.

I found the horn very loud - 136db vs. 139db for the Nautilus, not a noticeable difference.

I don't understand where the guys who installed the bigger Nautilus found a spot for it, the original place has no too much room and I never even considered that horn. Maybe on a GS or other naked bike but the S ?????

The Italian website has measurements of the two products so everyone can see the size difference, or maybe I am missing something?

Cheers,
Nick

·
Registered
43 Posts
Kaos968 said:
I have seen on some of the performance shops steering ppl with the S away from the Nautilus due to size issues...I also opted for the Magnum, tho I havent installed yet.

Kaos
I also purchased the Magnum last week because of the same issues with the size of the Nautilus. I will be installing it this week.

·
Registered
132 Posts
loud and I likey...

I just added a nautilus compact and I didn't use anything but the stock wires (had to remove the stock plug of course and change the connectors) and bent the [email protected] out of the stock mounting bracket to make it fit. It's working, it doesn't contact anything i.e. forks and if it fails due to the position of the compressor? OH well! I guess I'll spend another 30 bucks and get another one!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Make sure when you install/mount the horn that the opening is pointing DOWN...After back-to-back spring T-storms, the horn was drowned and needed to be re-installed. Everything is working fine on it now.

Kaos

·
Registered
557 Posts
nickbenin said:

Cheers,
Nick
Just so you know, 3 db is 50%.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts