BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the Stebel Nautilus compact horn today. It's VERY loud, don't think they exaggerated the rating of 139 decibels. Now I'm armed and dangerous should anyone annoy me while riding....

Used a relay, 20 amp fuse and wired directly to the battery with 12 gauge wire. Stock horn circuit activates the relay.

Highly recommended accessory!!!

·
Riding in company
292 Posts
Does the horn draw a lot of current? Some have just wired it up....using the stock horn relay. What were your thoughts about this? If the stock horn utilizes a relay then you have a relay triggering a relay?

PS: Love the instrument rings. Thanks.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The horn draws a lot of current, up to 18amps!! I don't think the stock wiring is sufficient and would not want to risk a wiring harness fire although that would be realively unlikely for the short duration that one usually uses a horn. My main reason for re-wiring was voltage drop at that current. If I am going to the trouble I wanted maximum performance out of the horn which is why I used heavier 12 gauge wire to minimize voltage drop.

Michael have a look here for wiring.

·
Registered
132 Posts
nautilus compact is awesome..

Just the other day I was on a ride near dusk time with a friend. I saw a deer do a u-turn as he approached it right at the side of the road but noticed he didn't seem to look over at it. I wanted to ask him if he had seen it but he kept riding oblivious to my waves at him in his mirror....so I gave him a blip of the nautilus...not even a seconds worth from about 15 feet away at around 35 mph....LOL...he shrugged his shoulders and kind of ducked his head when I did it...I asked him when he slowed down about the deer and he said he missed it....right before he closed his visor he said "man....that horn is loud". My 2and a half year old daughter has involuntary spasms in the driveway when I hit it there too. I know it's cruel and I've only done it a couple of times but god was it funny. :eek:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I also installed the Stebel, wired right from the stock set-up, worked temporally. Started blowing fuses. Have since wired it as recommended using the relay, no problems since then. Loud as hell, neighbors hated it when I was wiring it/testing it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts