BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi!
Bike magazine here in Norway has done a 40k km test. All they found was a locking wire for the clutch at the magnet on the oil plug! Has anyone any comments? Is it fixed, or?

K1200S 08 2005, yellow/black/silver, 9k km.

·
Registered
434 Posts
ZZR1200 said:
Is it fixed, or?
Yes, it is! The broken wire affects only a special series and results in problems with the clutch. BMW advised dealers not only to change the clutch but to replace the oil pump, too! Also, the oil pan has to be removed and cleaned. No other actions are required as BMW classifies the risk ot further damage as very small.

Manfred
with new oil pump, too. Guess why :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
ManfredH said:
Yes, it is! The broken wire affects only a special series and results in problems with the clutch. BMW advised dealers not only to change the clutch but to replace the oil pump, too! Also, the oil pan has to be removed and cleaned. No other actions are required as BMW classifies the risk ot further damage as very small.

Manfred
with new oil pump, too. Guess why :)
Which series?

·
Registered
133 Posts
....well, mine was replaced twice, the first with the first gearbox, the second after they did some check in starting, it was not smooth. now works fine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
eligio said:
....well, mine was replaced twice, the first with the first gearbox, the second after they did some check in starting, it was not smooth. now works fine.

What do you mean by "check in starting"?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hello,what do you mean by special series,as I have a k1200s produced in june 05,i have 6000kms and have just started to have problems with the clutch,i have spoken to my dealer and he is awaiting a reply from Germany,thanks for any further infomation.

·
Registered
38 Posts
kralties said:
Hello,what do you mean by special series,as I have a k1200s produced in june 05,i have 6000kms and have just started to have problems with the clutch,i have spoken to my dealer and he is awaiting a reply from Germany,thanks for any further infomation.
What kind of problems are you having with your clutch?

·
Registered
129 Posts
The problems are that the clutch is only disengaging when the lever is released from the full pulled back position and it disengages straight away ,also the bike starts to crawl when stopped at traffic lights,also it is coming difficult to find neutral,also when the bike is turned off and left in gear and i pull the clutch in to push it in the garage the bike does not come free properly and seems that the clutch is not disengaging properly.

·
Registered
433 Posts
kralties said:
The problems are that the clutch is only disengaging when the lever is released from the full pulled back position and it disengages straight away ,also the bike starts to crawl when stopped at traffic lights,also it is coming difficult to find neutral,also when the bike is turned off and left in gear and i pull the clutch in to push it in the garage the bike does not come free properly and seems that the clutch is not disengaging properly.
Don't worry. All this is covered by the warranty and the bike will run fine when it is fixed.

Ken

·
Registered
133 Posts
when you relase the clutch at start the "connection" of the clutch should besmooth mine was jumping as if the friction was only on part of the disk..or the material was not good in 100% of the surface. in any case they changed att the assembly.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have just had the whole clutch and oil pump changed and the bike has remained with the same problem that it crawls when it is in 1st,cannot find neutral when the bike is stopped,now we are waiting for the reply from the dealer as he had to contact germany.

·
Registered
495 Posts
kralties said:
I have just had the whole clutch and oil pump changed and the bike has remained with the same problem that it crawls when it is in 1st,cannot find neutral when the bike is stopped,now we are waiting for the reply from the dealer as he had to contact germany.
Maybe do a good clutch fluid bleed??

·
Registered
94 Posts
Clutch Problems

I've got an early 04/05 model and I am now considering paying the high price to extend the warranty, its only got 4000 miles on the clock, but it sound like I don't have a lot of choice, what's the general opinion? Should I pay for BMW's possible failures or hope the bike has no problems?

Andy

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just to tell you all that the bike was seen again and the mechanic must have got his magic out as now the bike is running much better then when it was new ,the gears just slip in,i will have a week of running around to see if it remains so good and then i will get him to install the 6.1 or is it 6.0 update.

·
Registered
129 Posts
,today 7/5/06 after putting about 150 kms on the bike i have discovered that the clutch problem has arisen again,the bike goes back to the mechanic on tuesday.

·
Registered
214 Posts
K1200S clutch problems

kralties said:
,today 7/5/06 after putting about 150 kms on the bike i have discovered that the clutch problem has arisen again,the bike goes back to the mechanic on tuesday.
I just returned from a 1500 mile trip and my clutch failed about 300 miles into the trip in the same manner you describe.

The morning of the second day of my trip, I took it to the closest dealer (BMW of Santa Cruz). They said it was most likely air in the hyd clutch line. They did a bleed and I was on my way in about 20 minutes. Everything seemed to be working normal again for the rest of the day. The next day the clutch started get soft again and on the final day of the ride (about 360 miles from home (San Diego) the clutch became completely inoperatative.

I got off the mountain roads and onto the freeway heading south to San Diego. Although splitting lanes through stop and go LA traffic can prove somewhat challenging, doing it without a clutch takes it to a new level of challenge. Still, I've gotten pretty good at shifting without a clutch and managed to make it all the way to my dealer from my last gas stop at 185 miles from San Diego without stopping once (3 rolling stop signs not withstanding) and left the bike in their care.

The problem appears to be air getting into the line via a bad Slave Cylinder (parts on order). They say they've seen this problem before and changing the Slave Cylinder has been the fix.

We shall see...

·
Registered
129 Posts
It seems that it could be the problem regarding the slave cylinder as they have now ordered the slave and master cylinder,i am hoping that it comes right after the parts arrive.

·
Registered
104 Posts
mark5lam said:
The problem appears to be air getting into the line via a bad Slave Cylinder (parts on order). They say they've seen this problem before and changing the Slave Cylinder has been the fix.
I had a similar problem although not quite as bad. My dealer first bled the air out but like with you, the problem came back. They replaced the slave cylinder this weekend and so far so good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts