BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there I am a potential newbie looking at K1200RS
I was looking at adding another horse to the stable and took a K1200RS (2001) out for a test ride today. At very low speed I noticed that there was a little bit of a steering wobble. The bars felt that they wanted to wander from side to side. Do you think this is just because it is due to bad tire wear or could it be something more serious. I took another K1200RS (a 1999 which was in bad shape) out also and it had the same issue except more pronounced. The tires were definitely shot on it and it was obviously a neglected bike. However the 1st bike I tried was very tidy and has me very interested.
Any thoughts advice?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of the bikes only had 6k on her. But the tires were worn. The other bike had 20k and was very neglected. I was reading about head bearing issues on these bikes earlier this morning and it may be an issue with that or even the steering damper. These seem to cause the bike to wander. I can definitely feel the bars going left to right at slow speed like it wants to wander left to right.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Before I started thinking about expensive causes.. I'd have them put a new tire on it.. Might be something as simple as that.. The steering head bearings shouldn't have gone bad with those miles.. and a steering damper generally will last at least 30-40K..

Start with the small things then if that doesn't do the trick.. look at other possibilites..My 2 doubloons

1 - 5 of 5 Posts