BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just Recently I Am Finding Going Down The Gears On My '97 K1200rs (17000 Miles) Requires A Little Upwards Nudge On The Lever To Reset It For The Next Downshift. At The Moment I Am Assuming Its All The Crud That Is Getting Picked Up With Winter Riding And I Am Dousing The Linkages With Wd40 To Try And Cure This. My Concern Is That It Is A Symptom Of A Far More Serious Gearbox Problem, Anyone Had Any Similar Experiances As The Bike Is Still Under The Bmw Used Bike Warranty And I Need To Arm Myself With Info Before Asking Them To Sort It Out.

Thanks For Reading
Neil

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
k12ncw said:
Just Recently I Am Finding Going Down The Gears On My '97 K1200rs (17000 Miles) Requires A Little Upwards Nudge On The Lever To Reset It For The Next Downshift. At The Moment I Am Assuming Its All The Crud That Is Getting Picked Up With Winter Riding And I Am Dousing The Linkages With Wd40 To Try And Cure This. My Concern Is That It Is A Symptom Of A Far More Serious Gearbox Problem, Anyone Had Any Similar Experiances As The Bike Is Still Under The Bmw Used Bike Warranty And I Need To Arm Myself With Info Before Asking Them To Sort It Out.

Thanks For Reading
Neil
Neil
I assume that your warranty is for repair and not maintenance. Not knowing how many miles is on the gear oil and if you are posting from a cold climate. I would, get the transmission up to operating temp., drain the gear oil and refill with 75/90 synthetic gear oil(Mobil 1, for instance).
I have seen posts on linkage and shifting problems. Best to try the archives.
Bruce C

·
Registered
380 Posts
check where the gear shifter pivots on the bolt that attaches it to frame. If this bolt is tightened past "snug" it will tweak the mounting ears and bind the external shift mechanism.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
problem sorted. went to dealer to buy some gearbox oil and all credit to the guy on the counter, rather than charge me for some oil he sent me home to dismantle the linkage and re-grease everthing. i went home , tried it, and all is now well,

thanks for the advice and photos that where emailed to me to sort this problem.

neil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts