BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The hand lever brake switch is sticking open (on) on my '03 GT (47,000 miles) causing the rear light to stay on and the servo to stay activated. I have to push the lever all the way back with the back of my fingers after every time I use the hand brake lever in order to turn the switch off. I removed the brake lever and sprayed good ol' WD40 into the housing where the switch is but to no avail. Also checked the archives and couldn't find much. Tried to figure out how to take the housing apart to clean or repair the switch and it looks like the fluid resevoir and housing over the lever mechanism is all one piece. I'll get some dry spray lube tomorrow and see if that works. Any ideas/suggestions/solutions beside paying $75/hour for the dealer to fix? Thanks!

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
My K's older at '97, but I had a similar problem. Inside the lever assemblies they have a really small microswitch and unfortunately there is no adjustment in position. The microswitch is held on when the brake lever is at rest and they use the normally on contacts (which are off in this arrangement). This makes it failsafe but the switch button spends most of its time pushed down. You may find that the button has just got 'sticky'.

My problem was the brake lever pivot has a thin plastic liner which wears on one side. When this happens the microswitch button moves towards the relaxed (brake light on) position. Wobble and twist the brake lever back and forth to check for any wear on the pivot first.

I couldn't be bothered waiting for a BMW part, so I cut some plastic the right size off a washing up liquid bottle as a liner for the steel pivot pin and its been fine for nearly 2 years.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts