BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I ground the heck out of my shift lever, I have noticed that it takes a lot more effort to shift from gear to gear. This is starting to become problematic, since ever once in a while it doesn't shift gears. Does anyone have an idea what is causing this problem? I wonder if changing the gear oil would help, it is about time for this anyway. Plus I would be able check to see if there is any metal debris in the oil - hopefully no! Hopefully, it's not the clutch either.

ONON-
Mark

·
Registered
186 Posts
Pathogen7 said:
Ever since I ground the heck out of my shift lever, I have noticed that it takes a lot more effort to shift from gear to gear. This is starting to become problematic, since ever once in a while it doesn't shift gears. Does anyone have an idea what is causing this problem? I wonder if changing the gear oil would help, it is about time for this anyway. Plus I would be able check to see if there is any metal debris in the oil - hopefully no! Hopefully, it's not the clutch either.

ONON-
Mark
Did you check first to see if the linkage is moving freely? Is the shifter returning to position 'after' the shift? If it binds and not returning, it may cause the next shift to not shift at all. If your oil level is fine, changing the oil will not help, since this is happening after your grind job.

A clutch not releasing fully can cause a hard shift also, its just like shifting without the clutch. Check all your basics.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had a similiar problem on my bike but did not ground the shifter, not yet anyway, the problem was shifting up beyond third gave me nothing, just what seemed like a lot of free play. The only way I could select the next gear was to roll of on the throttle completely & then coax it into the next gear. I was distraught to say the least as I had just taken delivery of the used 2004 the day before. I returned it immediately to the local dealer here in Cape Town who promptly informed me that the gearbox oil needed flushing & then replaced with new oil. Guess what, it made all the difference, I now select gears up/down seamlessly. This might not be your problem but it certainly worth a try especially if that gearbox oil replacement is due for replacing.

Trust you sort it out.

Cheers & safe riding from fellow K rider (South Africa)

Regards
Craig

·
Registered
200 Posts
Check to make sure the shifter arm adjustment is not loose. Mine got loose after "grounding" and it felt tight to the hand, but not the foot. Had to reposition and tighten All Was Better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts