BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAS A SOLUTION TO THE INFAMOUS STALLING GT EVER BEEN FOUND???

My '06 is still stalling after long rides and the dealer can't help me and says they've never heard of this issue. I had a dangerous experience on the PCH with my girl on back and am sick of it.

I've looked at other threads and am looking for any current info/solutions.
Has anybody been able to pinpoint and fix this problem? My service guy won't do anything until he can get the bike to repeat the problem, which of course, it won't.

Not what i was expecting from a $20,000 BMW - performance or service!

any help is appreciated.
thanks all.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I'd get a different dealer.

Has the airbox been replaced, cause in my opinion this is your culprit and any competent dealer would know that and fix it gratis.

·
Registered
353 Posts
One poster described a stalling issue that was caused by a intermittant crank position sensor, and what made it so difficult to find was the fault was not stored, so the techs couldn't see anything wrong with the bike. The dealer hooked up a computer and kept the bike running until the problem appeared, and captured the bad sensor reading.

Here's a quote from the below thread:

I think my BBS has been fixed. I picked the bike up two weeks ago after the techs replaced the fuel pump, filter and screen. The only fault was a front shock rebound problem. I rode it two miles and it quit. I managed to get it restarted and back to the shop for another round of tests.

They let the machine idle in the shop until it cut off, leaving the computer hooked up. A fault with the crankshaft sensor was registered. They replace the sensor and put 100 miles on the bike and it was flawless. I've put about 80 miles on it and it feels better than ever. Carolina BMW has charged me for the fuel pump and it's "stuff" ($178). They haven't charged me for the crankshaft sensor. The service manager, Richard, said, "Just ride it, man, and let me know if everythig is okay."

And my riding buddies think I should go back to Harleys. Sheeeeuuuuut!

Mike

And:

Originally Posted by howfly
And previous crankshaft sensor faults weren't saved?

No, Guy, that's the weird thing. The faults were not saved. Two dealers hooked up the computers and came away with the same results. The fault only registered when the bike cut off in the shop with the computer hooked up. When restarted a few minutes later, the fault was gone.

It's George Bush's fault!

Mike

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=16257

·
Registered
110 Posts
Mine did that with the original airbox, but the new airbox fixed it. Very scary to roll off the throttle to go into a corner and have the engine die or be driving down the freeway at 70mph and have it die at full speed. Started to call my bike Bipolar since it couldn't figure out if it wanted a high idle at 3k or no idle and die while moving until they replaced the airbox.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 2007 GT developed a problem with stalling. It would typically happen after riding at highways speeds. When I'd exit, and pull in the clutch, it would stall. It just couldn't idle properly after being warmed up.

After the airbox upgrade, it was better, but it still wasn't right, and the problem seemed to get worse with time. My solution? Diesel fuel. It wasn't intentional, of course, but I got some bad gas at a gas station. The dealer said it was diesel fuel, although it seems it should've been water. How would diesel get in the gas reservoir?

Anyway, I got the station to pay for the repair, which consisted of cleaning the injectors, and replacing the fuel pump/filter assembly. New plugs too. Now, it runs great. So, my guess is there was a problem with the fuel flow, maybe a dirty filter. I cannot be sure what actually fixed the problem.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Stalling GT - something different

Hi All,

OK - I've read this thread, and the other referenced....and now it's my time to chime in.

I've had the misfortune of having issues w/ my 07 GT (first few week production 07)starting after it's second week of ownership. I've kept quiet until now - in hopes that the dealer would find and fix the problem....

My scenario is a little different than what others have reported as my GT stalls when it's warm, in stop and go traffic. What seems to happen is the bike's temp gauge shows 2 bars up, the fan kicks on, move a little in stop and go traffic, then all of the sudden there's dead quiet. I've sometimes noticed erratic idle, other times things seem normal and then she's out. Fortunately, each time she stalls I can thumb the starter and she fires back up, but nonetheless it's certainly disconcerting! The very first time it happened I thought I might have accidentally dumped the clutch (despite riding for almost 20 years) but after that initial thought and continued issues I'm confident that it's the bike and not me.

As I said this battle has been going on for about 2 years now. The first instances started on an around the country ride in Sept/Oct 07 where one dealer in the southwest thought it was a radiator fan sensor issue and replaced it. Another dealer many states later thought they tracked it down to the brain box and was told by BMW N/A to swap it out. I had to fly back home on this trip as a result of the 'debugging process' - to receive my bike almost 2 months later.

The bike ran well for a while, then started sporadically stalling in similar stop and go conditions. Last fall my dealer replaced the clutch (it already had the airbox update at this point BTW as this was also thought to be contributing to the issue) but still stalling sporadically.

Now the bike has been in the shop for the past two weeks. Stalled out on me at VIR during a parade lap (similar stop and go, but with bikes only as everyone inched out onto the track) and stalled when leaving the track one night. Of course, the bike went right into the shop one the way home from VIR...

Of course, despite all 'best efforts' the dealer cannot reproduce the issue...and no, there's no fault in the computer either.

Although I'm hopeful that after picking up my bike today the problem is solved, I'm also EXTREMELY pessimistic that this issue won't rear it's ugly head again.

So - my question goes out to the 'collective wisdom' of this forum....has anyone else experienced the symptoms I've been through and is there a 'fix'?

Also - what would be the suggested next step. I'm a heartbeat away from going directly to BMW N/A (I think I have their contact info here somewhere) but I'm not confident that doing this will get me anywhere.

HELP!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Reread post #3. Crankshaft sensor faults are not saved by the 'puter. In MikeC's case the GT-1 had to be connected to the bike when it stalled for the techs to find and fix the problem.

·
Registered
468 Posts
So it appears to be:

temp sensor replacement

crankshaft sensor error

fuel system (i think someone had their pump and filters and injectors all replaced, fixed the problem)

Is there anything linking everyone's problems? Common VIN numbers, date of manufacture? Seems to be a small percentage of people have this happen, though it's also ranged from brand new bike to second hand and after a few thousand miles. Leads me to believe something is breaking, so perhaps there is no link in build sequence of VINs. Maybe bad sub-contractor parts? Hard to trace, just wondering if we can nail down what is happening. Kind of all over the board here - must not be THAT big a problem.

Yes, it's a problem if it happens to you but what I mean is that there is no rhyme or reason, it's not a systemic problem.

·
Registered
353 Posts
There is also the broken wire in harness stall reported by a few.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My 07 did it too along with the high idle. I had the first replacement airbox in Feb 07. Last month it started again and again they put the most recent airbox in it. Last night it stalled right after i started and blipped the throttle. Wired. Right now i am more worried about the clutch squeal!

·
Registered
1 Posts
It stalls, stalls, stalls and idles poorly

Gentlemen:
I have had my '07 GT since October '06 and have put 38k on it. Since 10,000 miles, I've replaced the spark plugs and air filter (twice), the air box twice, and then the fuel pump. I just had an ignition coil, O2 sensor, and temperature sensor replaced, all under warranty.

The motor continues to stall, mostly when riding at slow speeds, but sometimes when coming off the highway. It just does not idle properly, and consequently does not run properly. Specifically, it hesitates when the clutch is engaged unless upon release the throttle is already engaged. I have attributed this to a breathing problem, and I believe that the culprit is the air box. I believe that because of the air box design, the other problems occur, specifically, since the motor has trouble getting sufficient air, it requires more throttle.

I have taken this problem through the courts in the state where I bought it, and therefore have taken the problem to BMW N.A. directly. They don't want to fix it any more, and moreover, they have directed the dealer who has been servicing the bike to not touch it!!

If all of you who are having problems want to get it fixed, then you all must go to BMW N.A. and complain about the defective air box design. Since it happens to a minority of the bikes, I suspect that a factory installed air box of the proper design would remedy the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have read all the posts regarding the stalling issue and thought I would add my experiences as well. I have an 06 GT which has had a stalling issue for the past 2 years. It first started on a long ride accross the US, when I backed off the throttle when exiting the hwy. Before that at the start of the trip after riding for approx. 5 hours the idle started racing then slowing, it was all over the place. I shut the bike down and restarted it and all was well. This happened quit often for the rest of the trip but shutting it off and restarting seemed to cure it. The dealer in Montreal, which I must say has been fantastic to deal with changed the air box and the mapping but still the problem exists. Now it seems to stall mainly in the morning after it has been running for 5 or 10 min.
The bike is in the shop now as I am typing this. They still cant find any problems with the stalling and the warranty is now up, but they did state that because the problem is still occurring that they will fix it if it becomes obvious in the future.
I still enjoy this bike and I would consider buying another even after the problems I have had. And Kudos to Motointernationale in Montreal

ken

·
Registered
969 Posts
A guy on Shiva's site just wrote that BMW is buying back his pos K bike due to stalling.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Deja Vu!

Yep. Ride it on the freeway non-stop a few hours until a tank of gas is used up and it will probably hang-up (fast) on attempting to idle. Once it has done that, the other end of the equation is it won't idle and stall at opportune times like between gear shifts while coming up to a stop sign; idle plunger seems to get stuck mid-range in operation (run fast or not at all). BMW's plastic airbox and/or idle plunger warps and the bike goes to hell until it regains some sort of memory from the warped plastic. I believe the mechanic at the Chico dealer (Mike) has the right thought on the matter.

The idle circuit is a bad design and anyone who doubts it go try riding one that doesn't have the plastic airbox and idle servo system as used on the older K's or R's - or any other brand for that matter. Software cannot fix sticking and warping plastic and never will. Maybe BMW ought to have the fan kick on at a lower temp than where it is currently at if they continue using thermal-molded plastic? I learned my lesson on their swelling plastic gas tank I left outside when it was ~105 degrees and it wouldn't fit back in the frame.

Mack

·
Registered
48 Posts
Went by the dealer today and told him I've had one stall and asked if there were any updates from BMW yet. Said they just got a bulletin today. I assume it was for the 1300's only. I left the bike there and will get it back mid next week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stalling heeelllp!

Hello all,
I purchased a used 2008 k1200GT with 7300mi on it. Beautiful bike in pristine condition. Ran fine during test ride, a short one and probably didn't get hot enough, and then when I got it almost home it stalled when pulling up to a stop sign. Now it stalls every time I ride. It is difficult to not have it stall when in traffic when having to stop and go. I have run fresh pristine through it, several tanks full, to no avail. I also brought it to the Baton Rouge dealer and they said they found no "error codes", but when I asked them to test ride it it stalled on them when they were coming back into the parking lot. Also, when they were "blipping" the throttle, it would go up to 2k and then drop below 1k and almost stall each time. I asked about any updates but they said there were none due. I asked them what my next option was and they told me that they would have to remove air box and clean it with qtips and such. They also mentioned to run Techron through it for a few tank fulss. Did that also, to no avail. I called BMWNA as well and they had no info to share. What a fun bike to ride at speed, but dangerous otherwise. I thought this would be the bike for me and my young sons to travel on, but I am definately not going to risk it. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Ask your dealer about reflashing the computer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have had intermittent stalling on my 2009 K1300GT. More often than not, it is when I am coming to a stop sign or red light etc after having ridden for a bit.

I have used Techron fuel additive which seems to help.

I also had stalling problems immediately following a dealer service. I decided to try the throttle position sensor reset procedure which seems to have resolved the issue. If a cold TPS reset doesn't help, you might even try doing it after it's been warmed up well...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts