BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

Riding a 2008 K1200GT. I got into a prang the other day and damaged the exhaust. A new stock exhaust is NZ$1900, not much less USD. I can get a 1200S pipe for $200, the part #'s are only one digit different... the last digit is "0" on the GT and "1" on the S, otherwise the same.

There wasn't an 1200S in the shop when we held the S exhaust up against the GT. It is obvious that the small heat shield that screws onto the GT muffler right at the beginning of the muffler (the narrow dimension pipe to connect to the header pipe) is located differently, that is not fatal. But the angle of the pipe does seem to be different where it joins into the header pipe.

So, my question is... do any of you know if it is possible to use an S exhaust pipe in a GT without modification?

TIA.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I don't have an answer but if you can get a "S" can for comparison it only involves removing two bolts (header clamp and hanger) and then try hanging the "S". It may involve some tinkering but I don't see why you couldn't use another can.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The K12-13 s or R can will fit.
An oval can will not be perfectly vertical, but hard to notice it is tilted
The aftermarket does not utilize the small heat shield

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
aj7840 said:
The K12-13 s or R can will fit.
An oval can will not be perfectly vertical, but hard to notice it is tilted
The aftermarket does not utilize the small heat shield
That, my friend, is music to my ears. Fantastic.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took the bike to the dealer and the S muffler swapped perfectly with the GT muffler, except, as expected, the heat shield had to screwed on in a 'custom' location.

Thanks for all the help.

Thinking of family in Philly and friends all around the States...it's pretty hot down here in Aotearoa on Boxing Day (day after Christmas Day), watching the Poms get pummelled in the Boxing Day Test in Melbourne (cricket talk). I should be out riding but the cricket has been just too good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts