BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
Yeah...even my Staintune is a little louder now than it was 20,000 miles ago.
I read somewhere here that someone did something to the catalytic converter which made the stock pipes a little louder.

·
Registered
290 Posts
jdsmith1953 said:
i removed my catalytic converter elements, it breathes better but i can't say it is any louder.
I used to work for the company in Germany that makes your cat. The Cat is basically a straight through honeycomb of ceramic. It does result in a minor amount of backpressure, but contributes very little to sound reduction.

Besides, who wants a louder bike for loudness's sake only. I thought we were riding BMWs here, not Harleys! :D

Bob.

·
Registered
433 Posts
thundar8 said:
Can the stock k12gt exhaust can be modified to breath/sound better?
Don't wait for it to get louder by itself. I have 170,000 miles on my K1200RS and it sounds about the same as when it was new.

Ken

·
Registered
41 Posts
Guess the stock exhaust lasts rather well then Ken. :)

Thats a proper big milage. ( Respect )

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
When I bought my '98 Taxi, I thought I'd do to it what I did to my 900/6, drill out the baffles in the muffler to increase sound slightly and maybe enhance performance.

After I got the bike home I stuck a piece of 1/2" dowel rod down the opening at the rear of the muffler and it almost swallowed up the 3' piece of dowel. Peering down the center of the muffler with a flashlight, I saw there was no baffle to drill through. That means our OEM muffler is straight through, or at least the one installed on my '98 model.

The cat has some sound deadening qualities but it's straight through too. Looks to me if you want to increase sound, you've got to go aftermarket.

I went with Remus on my '98. It's not too loud, compared to Two Brothers or ZTechnic and it's comparable to a couple of Staintune pipes I've heard.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
When I bought my '98 Taxi, I thought I'd do to it what I did to my 900/6, drill out the baffles in the muffler to increase sound slightly and maybe enhance performance.

After I got the bike home I stuck a piece of 1/2" dowel rod down the opening at the rear of the muffler and it almost swallowed up the 3' piece of dowel. Peering down the center of the muffler with a flashlight, I saw there was no baffle to drill through. That means our OEM muffler is straight through, or at least the one installed on my '98 model.

The cat has some sound deadening qualities but it's straight through too. Looks to me if you want to increase sound, you've got to go aftermarket.

I went with Remus on my '98. It's not too loud, compared to Two Brothers or ZTechnic (sp?) and it's comparable to a couple of Staintune pipes I've heard.

·
Registered
383 Posts
jay_hansen said:

I went with Remus on my '98. It's not too loud, compared to Two Brothers or ZTechnic and it's comparable to a couple of Staintune pipes I've heard.

I dissected my stock pipe, removed the cat honeycomb, and re-welded the pipe.

The stock cannister appears to be straight thru when you look from the end, but in reality there are 2 separate cat/muffler circuits.

2 cylinders feed thru each cat, then along sides of cannister, where they turn 180 degrees and return back to collector box (half of that big shiney appendage hanging between the footpegs).
Turns again 180 degrees, and flows out the Big Hole in middle of cannister.

With cats gutted, the exhaust note is just slightly throatier than stock, throttle responce is snappier, cannot tell any power diff at 8k.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Why? I love it quiet. People notice the looks of my bike. Not the sound. Perfect for stereo. I thought about making it loud once. Then with ear plugs in to deaden the wind buffeting around the helmet, I thought again. Why?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mike, thanks for the full details. I've been contemplating that very surgery for some itme now, thanks for saving me the hard work. I think I'll save my lunch money and go for the Remus.

Jim Merrell
Canton, OH

·
Registered
17 Posts
I picked up a used Remus Ti system (it looks brand new) from www.ibmwr.org last fall. I paid $300 for it. It sounds PERFECT! The bike now has a nice throaty growl, but not so loud that it draws disapproving stares. I too tried to take apart and modify the stock muffler but after messing with it and realizing that I would really need a cutting torch and a welder to do the job right, I felt that $300 for a Remus pipe was a much better deal.

On the other hand, you can pick up a nice used stock pipe for about $150 to cut up and mess with without destroying your own.

Tarren

·
Registered
22 Posts
Why

I prefer the quiet approach . In the UK we are up to our necks in speed camera,s and speed enforcement. One of the benefits of the K is it doesent announce you are coming or using the power band. Stealth mode for me. If i am honest the bike in stock form has more than enough power for our twisty roads or my ability.

I live near a popular bike route in Hampshire in the summer the noise on certain days and weekends from noisy aftermarket cans on bikes being revved hard is annoying and draws comments from neighbours It upsets them and increases Policing. We do not need the minority spoiling our sport and need public opinion with us . Add the fatality toll to that and it doesent help Lack of traing is an other issue. You have to pick your roads and time to enjoy an interrupted ride around here

I followed a friend with an R1150RS and remus can through one long Austrian tunnel even with earplugs on it made my ears hurt until i dropped back 200 + yds. We rode at identical speeds on similar machines through the same terrain at every fill up he paid a fuel noticeable penalty. At no time did I struggle on my mount to keep up.

So whatever lights your candle but do think of the implications for uor minority sport.

:ricky

·
Registered
234 Posts
kencorsun said:
Don't wait for it to get louder by itself. I have 170,000 miles on my K1200RS and it sounds about the same as when it was new.

Ken

You're kidding right? 170,000 miles?! I'm not sure I believe it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
oneydee said:
You're kidding right? 170,000 miles?! I'm not sure I believe it.
What is so special about that? K-Bikes are legendary for their high mileage. One guy in Holland has over 500,000 KM on his K100.

My own '86 K100RT has close to 200,000 KM. and was driven by a former owner from Sweden to India and back (he showed me a photo of the bike with the Taj Mahal in the background!)

Bob.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts