BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking of using a detector....but was wondering how many people really have been pulled over for speeding and that compared to a ticket or just a warning in the end...seems like when i talk to riders most get off with just a warning unless there was some other crazy stunts involved for witch they were ticketed..radar really work all that well with the narrow profile that a bike has?....never been pulled over but maybe i have just been lucky?.....

·
Registered
250 Posts
Stopped five times,received four tickets and was let go once.Three of the times was before purchasing my 8500,two after purchasing my 8500.Once with the radar detector on the Blue Ridge,he used instant on,gave three of us tickets.The other time was on an 18 degree morning,I let him sneak in behind me and he never used his radar,he let me go,he was a rider,we chatted about the bike and he told me to slow down.This was over a three year period,one year an six mounts on a LT (1 ticket),two years on a GT (3 tickets).

·
Registered
513 Posts
In four years 60,000 Miles I got pulled over once and one speed ticket.
I allways ride with my Valetine One radar. I allways exceed the speed limit.

Bazra
aka: The Flash
So fast you can't see me.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I did not get a ticket but a funny story...

I got pulled over by the local Navy base police. When he stopped me he asked, "do you know how fast you were going?" I told him, "well, right around speed limit but I was getting ready to turn so I was paying more attention to not getting hit" His reply nearly made me lose it, "Well, I don't know how fast either but I thought it was over the limit." Once I knew he would not be able to ticket me, I could only look at my bike and say, "what can I say, its a BMW, if you ask me it looks like it is exceeding the limit on it's sidestand."

Enjoy!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Speeding in WI, good source of revenue

Speeding in WI is almost a certain ticket if stopped. Here they seem to use it more to generate revenue than issue warnings. Just my experience. Your experience may vary, would be great to hear for others experience in this state.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I never seem to get out of them. I always seem to carry at least two on the books...as one drops off I seem to get another. Been that way for 30+ years. Just can't seem to slow down.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Radar detector has saved me mucho money in fines.

California Highway Patrol do not give warnings.Well at least not in my 35 years of CA.motorcycling exp.I even recieved an award for 49mph in a 45mph Zone
KTM

·
Registered
362 Posts
03k12RS said:
Speeding in WI is almost a certain ticket if stopped. Here they seem to use it more to generate revenue than issue warnings. Just my experience. Your experience may vary, would be great to hear for others experience in this state.
My wife got a warning in Wis. when doing about 20 over. She was catching up with me after being behind some slow cars. She gave the patrol officer puppy eyes, telling him she did not know where we were going and she was trying to catch me so she would not get lost. The patrolman came up to where I was waiting on the shoulder and chewed me out for not waiting for my wife.

·
Registered
264 Posts
KTM said:
California Highway Patrol do not give warnings.Well at least not in my 35 years of CA.motorcycling exp.I even recieved an award for 49mph in a 45mph Zone
KTM
I would agree with you. I once set my cruise on 66 in a 65 while following a CHP. He slowed down, drifted behind me, stopped me and wrote me up for 67 in a 65. He didn't show in court but it was a real PITA for me. I was working 12 hr night shifts. Got off at 6, slept on the courthouse steps until they opened, Judge called my name, no officer, made me wait until all the other cases were done and then dismissed mine about noon so I could go home, get 3 hrs sleep and go back to work. --Jerry

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
re: stopped for speeding

BAK04GT said:
thinking of using a detector....but was wondering how many people really have been pulled over for speeding and that compared to a ticket or just a warning in the end...seems like when i talk to riders most get off with just a warning unless there was some other crazy stunts involved for witch they were ticketed..radar really work all that well with the narrow profile that a bike has?....never been pulled over but maybe i have just been lucky?.....
Last April, I got popped doing 84 in a 55. Cost me $234.10 and 6 out of 12 points on my license. A radar detector would've saved me and I have one now.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Razel said:
We've discussed this at some length, and have decided that she owes you, big time.
She was just standing there smirking :D

Another time we were stopped in Minn. and the Patrol officer said he was giving us both a ticket, but I got to shooting the breeze with the guy and talked him out of giving Debbie a ticket. He finally agreed to just give me a ticket, which was a good thing because later Debbie noticed her license was expired big time. The officer had not bothered to check her license.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Got my first bike at 19.....It's now 8 years and about 100,000 miles later, but I've been pulled over twice and not received a ticket yet.

The first time was coming into Gatlinburg. It was getting dark and I was almost to my destination and didn't want to bother stopping to change my visor. There were about five cars in front of me but the right lane was clear, so I shot up through it. Next thing I know, there's an unmarked white Durango behind me with interior/grill lights flashing. He said "I don't mind you passing me, but just don't blow by me like that.....You ever had a ticket before?"....I reply "No sir..." and he says "Let's keep it that way....Slow it down"....

The second was cruising along a country highway in Florida. I was moving along at a pretty good clip and started to see that I was catching up with one of the Highway Patrol camaros travelling in the same direction. So I slowed it down and made it so I was just barely creeping up on him. When I finally caught up about 20 miles later, he pulled off to the side of the road and I passed him. Lights immediately went on and I pulled over. I couldn't even get my helmet off before he was up there and giving me a hard time....Telling me about scraping bodies off this exact road and that my ticket would be $379 if he wrote me one....He spent a little while telling my fiance how she shouldn't trust me with her life.....The whole time she just wanted to tell him "WOW, I love your sunglasses....Those are just like the ones the guys from CHIPS wore!"....Don't think he'd have found it funny, but I think he was just pissed because he didn't get to be a motorcop...

Rich

·
We're zoned for what ? cool !
186 Posts
Too many times to count

I get pulled at least twice a year, and generally get ticketed. But I gave up using the radar detector a couple of years ago when I found out that NC allows LEOs to change a chip in the radar unit, enabling it to broadcast anywhere in the public service range. That means not just on the X, K, or Ka bands. So the radar detector becomes, if not worthless, at least not trustworthy.

So I just put it away, and pay attention some more.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Speeding tickets...

mkjeldgaard said:
Last April, I got popped doing 84 in a 55. Cost me $234.10 and 6 out of 12 points on my license. A radar detector would've saved me and I have one now.
Sorry, don't get mad, but if you plead "guilty" to a speeding ticket your an idiot. Unless you are DWI, or have done something really stupid besides the speeding, NEVER, NEVER
plead guilty. I am not a lawyer, or profess to be, but first ask the cop if the radar unit is certified that it has been "tested" lately (CALIBRATED). If the cop isn't a prick, ask him if you can see the speed (should be locked "on" in the digital readout). Then ask if he has been certified to use the unit. (This is AFTER he/she has given you the tickets, NOT BEFORE!!!). Send it in "not guilty" and take your chances. If you have $$$ get a lawyer, if not talk to the D.A. before you see the judge. I have found MANY times that they will reduce the ticket, even though the fine will be high. Don't blow your cool, talk to the cop (if he shows at court) and be sensible, "I did'nt think I was going that fast". Seriously, this works alot. Good luck ! .

·
Registered
531 Posts
all speeding tickets are revenue generating schemes and have little or nothing to do with safety. there are some exceptions like school zones, neighborhoods, heavily traveled secondary roads but out on the interstate getting a ticket for going 75 in a 65 is BS. i've been stopped on several occasions on my k1200rs but when i show my license i also pass my military id to the officer and usually thats enough to get me off with only a warning.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I have the V1 and don't feel comfortable riding without it. It's like I have a sixth sense when it's on.
I can't say that it's ever saved me, only confirms that I was on the brake before they hit their trigger.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Here's what you do next time you get caught speeding

click here

1 - 20 of 34 Posts