BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone might be able to help me chase down this gremlin...

1991 BMW K75S: Fuel pump quit during a long haul ride last summer (I think I had ridden 700KM that day). Pump was definitely dead, but the tank was spotless.Replaced the fuel pump with a reputable aftermarket along with new rubber etc and the bike seemed fine (although the new pump seemed very loud)

Didn’t ride it much more until this summer.

Took the bike out for a 45 minute highway ride. Bike stalled out. Bike turned over, but wouldn’t start. Often turning the key would do nothing, sometimes the lights on the dash would come on weakly, and the rear running light would not. Eventually the bike started, ran rough, felt fuel starved, fuel pump was very loud but I limped it home. In the garage I tried the key a few times, often getting the weak lights, sometimes everything looked fine.

I charged the battery, and tried the key several times, the ½ lights did not seem to be happening as much. When it did sometimes it seemed like jiggling the key a certain way was helping (can’t be sure). The battery is old so I put a new one in and took it for a test ride. Fuel pump is not making noise, but the bike cut out after three blocks. Not fuel, electrical, but the clock stays on. 5 minutes and several attempts later it fires up and is fine for a 45 minute ride, purring. Stopped briefly, ½ light problem when I started it 15 minutes later, but on the second try it fired up and made it home. I thought it might be something with the key so I sprayed some air and then lube in the keyhole.

Took the bike out today, First try the lights were doing the ½ strength thing. Turned it off and on, starts fine. Once again three blocks later it cuts out. This time it stayed out. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,408 Posts
Have your done a battery load test. Quick way is to hook up a volt meter to the battery leads and hit the start button. 10 volts or less it is no good. Most electrical gremlins are battery derived.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts