BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could use some help!

I'm doing my first tour on my K75s in August around France, and I'm quickly realising I don't have a clue! Where to stay, how far I can ride in a day etc.

I'm thinking of taking camping gear with me as a back-up, but for the life of me I can't imagine how you are meant to tie it down (ya, I know, bungie cords).

Any suggestions from people that have done this on the K75 or 100?

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Straps you can cinch such as Helen Two-Wheels or ROK.

A variant of the Helen Two-Wheels duffel. The bag should have attached loops for tie down.

L

If you have hard cases, some variant of the Vermont U-shaped Rounder Bag.

Multi-vario tank bag.

·
Registered
163 Posts
derfel said:
Could use some help!

I'm doing my first tour on my K75s in August around France, and I'm quickly realising I don't have a clue! Where to stay, how far I can ride in a day etc.

I'm thinking of taking camping gear with me as a back-up, but for the life of me I can't imagine how you are meant to tie it down (ya, I know, bungie cords).

I'm in the middle of a summer vacation ride just having completed 2300 miles from Virginia through the Upper Peninsula of Michigan to family in Wisconsin on my K75S. I camped four nights and used hotels for the other two.

ROK straps work best for me using the grab handles as a main anchor point. In additon to a Helen Twowheels (H2W) type of bag I have an Ortelib dry bag to hold gear. There is a YouTube video - H2W Packing System

I've found that if camping it's best to find a central spot to stay a couple of days and explore the area from there and then move on. It gets to be a hassle to pack and set up each night and morning. As far as distance... I don't plan on more than 250 miles if I want to have time to take the back roads and stop when there is something to see or do.

Have fun!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
106 Posts

derfel said:
Could use some help!

I always put my bags on the passenger seat using the passenger grab rails plus the rear cowl rack as a third anchor. That third anchor kept the load from any sideways shifting.

Another option is bungee netting. Once you strap the bags down, place a large bungee net over all of it. This adds that last bit of stabilization.

Whatever you use, I suggest a few trial runs before the trip. Its very frustrating stopping every five miles for the first two hours to readjust the bags. And once you find a system stick with it. Doing it the same way every time minimizes mistakes from road fatigue, distractions, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts