BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ll be flying this weekend, and it turns out the airport I’m flying out of has free, in-terminal, covered, motorcycle parking. Yeah, taking advantage of that.

Problem: how do I get the suitcase there. I have a picture of what I plan on doing. It doesn’t feel solid, but I don’t think it’s going anywhere. I’ll have to take this for a test ride.

Has anyone tried something similar?

I have the straps hooked up to the bar for the saddlebags. They could theoretically slide off the ends, but I don’t think they will do that.
IMG_7916.JPG
IMG_7917.JPG

·
Registered
2006 BMW K1200S
53 Posts
Whatever you think may be possible will probably not happen. It will be worse. If I had to I would put on the panniers and use those to help prop up and secure the travel bag.

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
460 Posts
Hey, the bag has wheels. Tow it! 😄 If you can, get the web like tie downs to go over the whole bag.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whatever you think may be possible will probably not happen. It will be worse. If I had to I would put on the panniers and use those to help prop up and secure the travel bag.
I tried with the panniers. It added left/right stability but removed front/back stability, so I took them off. The panniers are genuinely stupid.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sit rep: got it loaded with some weight and rode around like a drunken idiot at all speeds and conditions I could think of.

Only thing I can say is: watch out when standing and the bike is leaning at sationary/near stationary speeds.
Highway wasn’t a problem either. It looks really dinky, but the thing didn’t budge. It’s not even strapped down stupid tight, the grippy seat thing the previous owner put on is working its magic.

I’m still apprehensive, and will definitely be cautious, but I think I’m good to go.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've lost a lot on the back of a motorcycle (2 tail-bags in the last 3 months).

The lesson I've learned is a to have a "reserve ripcord".
I should have added a bolt rather than depend on the webbing buckles.

My suggestion is drill a small hole on each side and into the grab rail.
Use a long self tapping screw to "backup" you attached method.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Ship your bag Fed ex with the money you save on parking. That’s also saves from the TSA guys stealing stuff and the airline loosing your bag.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why do you have to attack, Can't you just say you tried it and it did not work? Guess not.
??? Yo, I'm criticizing BMW's pannier design, not you or your idea! It was a good idea and I was thinking hte same thing. The panniers are just so ridiculously stupid, every time I use them I get angry and have to rant about it.

Regarding the suitcase:
It was absolutely no problem. This is a viable solution, all you need is a suitcase, ratchet straps, and those pannier attachment bar things (what the panniers attach to). I think I remember reading not all k-bikes come with those two metal things sticking out. I might be wrong. When I attached the hooks, I put the ratchet hook on the outside (with the non-ratchet hook on the inside). I ran the extra ratchet strap under the sissy bar and up to the top (2nd picture). This pulled the ratchet hook thing in so it wouldn't slide off the end, although it's likely not necessary.

Couple things worth adding: I have a non-slip seat cover and I think it did a LOT to keep the bag from slipping.

Another thing, the suitcase is stiff on the top and bottom but kind of squishy inside, so when I ratcheted it down, it got squeezed in on the long sides, making it almost impossible for the straps to slide off the end.

You can kind of tell from this picture here:

This is a BIG suitcase btw, so I'm extra thrilled this works.

Ship your bag Fed ex with the money you save on parking. That’s also saves from the TSA guys stealing stuff and the airline loosing your bag.
Are you high?

·
Registered
308 Posts
not at the moment😲🤔🍻.. I’m just tired of dealing with the airlines charging me a ton to loose my baggage and reimbursing me nothing, if you do get your bag you have to hope one of the trained government professionals or baggage handlers didn’t want your stuff more than you.

Guess I didn’t fully understand your position. Safe travels.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R & 2021 Vespa Primavera clown paint job
679 Posts
Lost a dozen tomales off the back of my K bike trying to use a net bunjee. Looks like your straps will be great under 65 mph. Hope your trip is great.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Lost a dozen tomales off the back of my K bike trying to use a net bunjee. Looks like your straps will be great under 65 mph. Hope your trip is great.
I tested it up to about 120 without issue. I'm genuinely surprised how well this worked.

So far it's awesome.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I have about 4 hours on this thing at (my) highway speeds. Here’s a picture where you can see how I have it hooked in.

On the way home it occurred to me just how sketch it is: if one side lets go, the suitcase would get tipped over on the other side but likely not fly off, instead causing pandemonium. Below is a picture of how I attached it. With the straps sufficiently tight (I did not make this idiot tight, just “sufficient”) it’s not going anywhere, but that doesn’t stop it looking sketch as shit. Like I said, the buckling of the suitcase in the middle makes it basically impossible for the straps to come off the top, or for the suitcase to shift left/right. It can shift front/back but it didn’t, I think b/c of my seat cover.

Here’s a picture of the bike at the airport after I mounted the suitcase (notice how the straps match the helmet, very important!). Mounting takes about 10 minutes, and it’s not something you want to rush.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sit rep: got it loaded with some weight and rode around like a drunken idiot at all speeds and conditions I could think of.

Only thing I can say is: watch out when standing and the bike is leaning at sationary/near stationary speeds.
Highway wasn’t a problem either. It looks really dinky, but the thing didn’t budge. It’s not even strapped down stupid tight, the grippy seat thing the previous owner put on is working its magic.

I’m still apprehensive, and will definitely be cautious, but I think I’m good to go.
Sounds like you have it figured out. I carry large packages on my bike regularly. What you are showing and what you are saying about a test run, confirms it will work. Now, have you tested it as if passing a couple of cars in a row?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds like you have it figured out. I carry large packages on my bike regularly. What you are showing and what you are saying about a test run, confirms it will work. Now, have you tested it as if passing a couple of cars in a row?
Got it to the airport and back in all manner of insane traffic, loaded with like 40 lbs of suitcase stuff.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think you got away with it. I forgot to bungee strap my wife one time, climbing an Alpine pass on the K13MS - haven't seen her since.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts