BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you've been riding a while, you probably have a collection of bungies, bungie nets, straps, hooks, etc. I do.

Can you recommend straps or bungies that can safely hold oversize packages and irregularly shaped items to the passenger seat on a K1200GT? Sometimes there are items that are too large for the top case, or the top case is full and I need to bring something home that I hadn't planned for.

The bungie cords and nets that I have would work, but I'm concerned that they will mar the passenger grab handles, or tear the seat fabric, or scratch the finish. Some have lost their small plastic tips, and it looks as if the unprotected inner parts of the "springs" would leave scratches and marks.

What do you use? Do they fold up small when not in use?

·
Would rather be riding
537 Posts
All plastic clips

XMagnaRider said:
What do you use? Do they fold up small when not in use?
I keep a cargo net with all plastic clips tucked under the seat for contingencies like this. I've also got a small roll of duct tape which occasionally comes in handy - you can make a duct-tape rope, you don't necessarily have to use the sticky part.

On longer trips I've learned to carry a couple of nylon tiedown cords, they've held my bags on when a rack broke, and once they've held a bag closed when a latch broke. Of course you can also buy these at any gas station or drug store for a few bucks.

·
The Gov
660 Posts
I use Helen's straps, work perfectly with the rear grab handles.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I like Rok-straps (I think that is what they are called). Very easy to use, non-marring strap with built in nylon quick-releases and elastic bungee. The motorcycle specific version uses a canvas loop attachment on both ends; no hooks.

·
Registered
498 Posts
cbdane said:
I like Rok-straps (I think that is what they are called). Very easy to use, non-marring strap with built in nylon quick-releases and elastic bungee. The motorcycle specific version uses a canvas loop attachment on both ends; no hooks.

I second that. I don't drive, so short of sheet rock, I carry all kinds of crap on the back, and the Rok Straps are perfectly adjustable and don't have too much bungee material to be dangerous.

·
Registered
104 Posts
+1 for Helen2Wheel straps.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Does anyone know a retailer in So. Cal. that sells Rok Straps, so I can look at them?

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
I'm also a strap man. I see too many bungee cords on the freeways. Never seen a strap though.

Years ago, before I owned a washer and dryer, I bungeed my dirty underwear to the bike and I was off to the laundromat. When I got there, it was gone off the back of the seat. I may a beeline back to find it and never did. It was in a pillowcase so maybe some homeless person stole it. Hope they enjoyed it.

Mack

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Grif, et al,

OK, I'm sold on the Rok Straps.

Do you tie them to the rack or the grab handles (or both)?

Do you use the fixed or adjustable straps?

What sizes do you use most often?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sound Rider: Free Shipping

I just ordered a few different types of ROK Straps from an online company called Sound Rider who offer free shipping. No affiliation as I'm a number cruncher for Verizon Telecomm.

Sound Rider

These seem to be really well designed and they advertise in BMW ON.

Regards,

David

·
Registered
498 Posts
XMagnaRider said:
Grif, et al,

I didn't know they came in sizes, but mine are about an inch wide and about 30-36 inches long, 8 or so of which is elastic material.
(edit: I just checked out their product page, the "motorcycle straps" are the ones I use, adjustable.)

I use the passenger grab handles. They work great there! They are holding my dry bag (tent, sleeping bag etc. on the bike right now as I'm taking off to Oregon in the a.m. for a week and half or so!

·
Registered
291 Posts
XMagnaRider said:
Grif, et al,
I'm sorry, I didn't much answer your question now did I? I ordered the adjustable straps (two to a pack) specifically designed for the motorcycle. Believe this is what BeniciaRT is referencing in his response as well.

Here's the product description from the web page I gave above:

54 in. Adjustable Motorcycle ROK Strap (in Twin Packs) - Free Shipping

This strap has an adjustable length to fit your varying needs. The minimum length is 18”, with a recommended safe stretch of 58” and a maximum stretch of 62”. This length can be used for many different purposes and luggage types.

Hope this helps,

David

·
Registered
407 Posts
I also like straps with quick release clips for large or heavy loads.

However, for a small duffle or drybag, or my rolled up rain gear that I strap to the pillion seat when travelling, I use a medium length, dual-bungee cord with a ring in the middle. Creates an "X" for strapping down small loads on the seat and clips onto the grab handles. Very secure, on and off in seconds.

See it here....about 8 bucks. http://www.bmwsantacruz.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=72609057579&Category_Code=K1200GT06-L&Product_Count=1

·
Registered
91 Posts
Here is what I got . bought some 1 inch webbing on ebay with a bunch of different clamps buckles, drings etc,etc. real cheap, Now I can custom make them before or after, work great. I posted some pic to show what I did.

BIG BAG - 3MAN TENT, DOUBLE SLEEPING BAG , PILLOW, AND CHAIR ,
DOUBLE AIR MATTRESS AND 12 VOLT PUMP IN THE SIDE CASE WITH ROOM TO SPARE
LUGAGE RACK THAT HOLDS MY CAMERA BAG
NOW i GOT, TOP TRUNCK EMPTY , 1 AND HALVE STORANGE BETWEEN BOTH MY SIDE CASES.
AND NOTICE THE GREEN GRASS THAT I GOT BACK

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts