BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2006 K1200s Stutter/misfire at idle

Anybody know what this stutter is caused by at idle? I've seen a few videos of K12s online making the same noise. It makes the bike very jerky at low speeds. It is intermittent and seems like a misfire, but no faults are stored. Bike only has 3700 miles. I have gone through 2 new tanks of 92 octane fuel and replaced all the spark plugs already. Programming is all up to date. I am thinking possibly an ignition coil starting to go out, but the bike is smooth at higher RPMs and during hard acceleration.

https://youtu.be/w75wY7rKKoM

My bike is a 2006 K1200s

Thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
1 Posts
2006 K1200s Stutter/misfire at idle

Anybody know what this stutter is caused by at idle? I've seen a few videos of K12s online making the same noise. It makes the bike very jerky at low speeds. It is intermittent and seems like a misfire, but no faults are stored. Bike only has 3700 miles. I have gone through 2 new tanks of 92 octane fuel and replaced all the spark plugs already. Programming is all up to date. I am thinking possibly an ignition coil starting to go out, but the bike is smooth at higher RPMs and during hard acceleration.

My bike is a 2006 K1200s

Thanks
Ryan
Did you ever get to the bottom of this is it vacumn related or plugs/leads

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
392 Posts
(This is an old thread) By it being smooth at higher rpm's, sounds like it could be a vacuum leak. I just went through the same thing with my project Volvo 850R. It would not hold an idle at low speed but when I held it at 1500 rpm's, it would smooth out. Replaced a vacuum line and all is good. At 3,700 miles and 14 years old I would definitely check vacuum lines and run some Techron through the tank.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Its normal.. If you look at the picture hoses 1-4 are connected to the vacuum purge valve that is causing it.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
353 Posts
All good thoughts. Keep in mind the K12 is a true hotrod. Nasty idle and not easy to drive in town. That is why BMW turned the engine re design over to Ricardo Engineering in the UK to make it more drivable. Of the two bikes the K12 was something, but the 13 is a better bike overall. My K12 ran well until it hit a deer but it was nasty at idle. People open up that idle air valve in the photo above and clean and lube it. Don't use any silicone. It can mess with the O2 sensor.

·
Registered
2006 BMW k1200S
17 Posts
Check out BMW Service Information Bulletin # 13 003 07 (058)

There is a software update that goes along with replacement of the original style airbox. Airbox upgrade came out in December 2007 (with the bulletin) and will only show up on the dealers software if they select that you have had the airbox replaced. You can try to get your Motorrad dealer to install the upgrade without the new style airbox but I had no luck with that. After the airbox and software upgrade my 2006 K1200s became much more managable in town and at idle. I still give the throttle a bit of a crank as I wind down to a stop and these three things have made the bike a blast to ride for the last 30,000 miles and yesterday was the first day it died on me as I transitioned to a stop. But then again I was in a rough rocky parking area and not paying attention to my engine. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts