BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm officially bummed. Well, sort of. It looks like the GTs are still on schedule, but there is a downside to being first. According to a report I just got, the first set of GTs will NOT include the following "extras".

Tire Pressure Monitor - uses sensors to determine the current tire pressure and warn the rider with an indicator in the new dash. It's not a pressure display, but more a red light, yellow light, no light thing.

Brake Pad Wear Indicator - uses sensors to determine if the brake pads need replacing. No more waiting for that 12K service to see you are 2mm past the safe point. ;)

Automatic Heated Grips - uses the on-board computer to determine the ambient temperature and adjust the heated grips automatically.

These items will not show up until after August 2006. It appears these features will also show up in the 2007 line of motorcycles. So the first wave of GTs won't have these features. Damn!

·
Registered
176 Posts
eljeffe said:
Okay, I'm officially bummed. Well, sort of. It looks like the GTs are still on schedule, but there is a downside to being first. According to a report I just got, the first set of GTs will NOT include the following "extras".

Tire Pressure Monitor -
Brake Pad Wear Indicator -
Automatic Heated Grips -

These items will not show up until after August 2006. It appears these features will also show up in the 2007 line of motorcycles. So the first wave of GTs won't have these features. Damn!
RE #1: Do you really want or trust an idiot light for tire pressure? Take the $25 fix and buy the BMW digital tire gauge.

RE #2: Do you really want or need an idiot light for brake pad wear? Solved with a flashlight and a quick glance at the pads...

RE #3: I'm an adult and can run a switch or thermostat, thank you. Ambient-sensitive heated grips haven't been well spoken of on the GWings, biggest complaint I hear is that they don't get hot enough under normal use.

So, you're really not missing anything. Enjoy your new bike when it arrives, and laugh at the dumb SOBs who put off buying one just so they can have the latest doo-dads and gee-gaws. They're probably still running on Pentium 1 computers 'cuz they want to wait for the latest/greatest feature set. :D :ricky

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know, you're right. I'm not bummed anymore! ;)

·
Registered
192 Posts
eljeffe said:
Me neither, I've had my deposit in for months now, and I still can't decide on color. I hope they have one of the light colored ones at bike week, I think I'd prefer that if it's sort of silver, otherwise it'll be blue for me :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
eljeffe said:
I have to confess that I remain a little bummed about it. I can't imagine the absence of these features will enhance the resale value on these new GTs. Likewise, lacking these gizmos won't affect the riding experience. It would just be nice to get the fully loaded motorcycle for which we're shelling out the big bucks.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Gadgets ....

I think I could skip a lot of gadgetry in exchange for a really good stock seat.....geez....I wonder if they will get it right this time....:)

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there such a think as a good stock seat? Since the OEMs have to make things to the lowest common denominator, I doubt this will be any better than before. I guess that's why guys like Rick Mayer are in business ;)

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
What if....

GTRider said:
RE #1: Do you really want or trust an idiot light for tire pressure? Take the $25 fix and buy the BMW digital tire gauge.

RE #2: Do you really want or need an idiot light for brake pad wear? Solved with a flashlight and a quick glance at the pads...

RE #3: I'm an adult and can run a switch or thermostat, thank you. Ambient-sensitive heated grips haven't been well spoken of on the GWings, biggest complaint I hear is that they don't get hot enough under normal use.

So, you're really not missing anything. Enjoy your new bike when it arrives, and laugh at the dumb SOBs who put off buying one just so they can have the latest doo-dads and gee-gaws. They're probably still running on Pentium 1 computers 'cuz they want to wait for the latest/greatest feature set. :D :ricky
it was a new BMW (or any) car (substitute heated seats for grips)....would you take it, knowing that you paying for 3 features you're not getting?....I think not.

·
Registered
176 Posts
milkman said:
it was a new BMW (or any) car (substitute heated seats for grips)....would you take it, knowing that you paying for 3 features you're not getting?....I think not.
Oh yeah, I'd take it in a heartbeat. While the others are waiting and pining, ElJeffe will be out putting on miles and smiles. And when he sells this bike and moves on, it won't be a problem for the new buyer either as he'll be focusing on what a great machine he's getting at a depreciated price. And especially when of the three items mentioned only one has any real potential value--the UNPROVEN self-adjusting heated grips (note that the bike currently DOES come with heated grips, just the ho-hum good old standard ones). The other two items, as far as I'm concerned, are pretty much in the same category as the I-Drive--sounds great in the showroom but after trying to use it in the real world you want to put it where the Teutonic sun don't shine....

So yeah, I'd still take it. I guess it's like being at the high school dance where the solo girls lined up agains the gym wall aren't all "ten's" at first glance. Do ya wanna dance and have some fun, or do ya wanna go home alone??? :D :D

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
GTRider said:
And when he sells this bike and moves on, it won't be a problem for the new buyer either as he'll be focusing on what a great machine he's getting at a depreciated price.
So you're admitting the bike without will be worth less than the one with...I think the difference will be minimal, but it still makes it lose/lose...front and back end....a saavy buyer will know and, everything else being similar, choose the bike with the best features.
Whatever....I can see being excited about a new ride, but sometimes a little patience pays off in the long run. If it were me, I would at least negotiate a free upgrade later as part of the deal. But since I have an '04 GT, one of the most beautiful beasts ever made, I won't have that problem.

·
Registered
176 Posts
milkman said:
So you're admitting the bike without will be worth less than the one with...I think the difference will be minimal, but it still makes it lose/lose...front and back end....a saavy buyer will know and, everything else being similar, choose the bike with the best features.
Whatever....I can see being excited about a new ride, but sometimes a little patience pays off in the long run. If it were me, I would at least negotiate a free upgrade later as part of the deal. But since I have an '04 GT, one of the most beautiful beasts ever made, I won't have that problem.
No. I'm saying that a used 2006 GT, without the useless doodads Eljeffe outlined, will be worth less than a new one. It will also be worth less than a 2007 GT, which will come with the useless doodads. Both will be worth more than my '04 GT, which I wouldn't trade for either an '06 or '07 model. And, I'm saying that in the used market doodads, especially ones that I suspect will be prone to not working correctly, just don't make that much difference. USABLE features, such as cruise control, WILL make a difference--not so much in price as in buyer perception and ease of sale.

And in the end, there is absolutely NO economic justification whatsover involved in buying a new BMW motorcycle. If any of us had a lick of common economic sense we'd be out spending less than $13K on a new FJR-ABS and investing the $8K difference. Oh yean, and let me know how "negotiating a free later upgrade" goes with your dealer. I don't think that in the first model year there will be *anyone* successful in doing any serious negotiating on a K1200GT. There are just too many economically illiterate but financially flush early adopters out there for the dealers to be willing to cut any real deals...
Just MHO, of course. HAve a good ride,

GTRider :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Color of K12GT

Ruben said:
Me neither, I've had my deposit in for months now, and I still can't decide on color. I hope they have one of the light colored ones at bike week, I think I'd prefer that if it's sort of silver, otherwise it'll be blue for me :D
Hi Ruben,

Make sure you see the color before you order it!

I went to the Brussels Motor Show in January, and had my mind set on the blue K12GT until I saw it 'in the flesh'! They had the dark grey and blue one on display, the ivory was not present.

However when I saw the blue one I immediately decided to switch to the dark grey color, since the blue one has a turquoise shine on it (at least under spotlights), which I didn't like at all. My dealer says the ivory one looks more like a very light silver, but it is too 'police bike' for me, and will always be dirty (I absolutely hate cleaning bikes; bikes are for riding, not cleaning).

3 days later I ordered the dark grey with a black seat, rather then the light grey seat.

Delivery is scheduled for April 2006.

Rgds

Luc

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thickasabrick said:
I think I could skip a lot of gadgetry in exchange for a really good stock seat.....geez....I wonder if they will get it right this time....:)
Yesterday's ride on the demo at Daytona convinced me that the stock seat is pretty good. Much better than the seat on the RT, and for me, better than the seat on the LT ;)

My stock seat is still what I'm using on my '04 GT, the first stock seat I've kept for many years, and I may also be somewhat slow to replace the seat on the new GT. The windscreen is too short for me though. :eek:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Lucsch said:
Make sure you see the color before you order it!
I did, at bike week at Daytona. They didn't have a blue one, but the Crystal Grey Metallic is gorgeous in the sunshine :D

Road grime down here is a very light grey color, so the dark colors would show grime quicker than a light color. I'd rather ride than clean too :D :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
did they have a graphite?

ruben, you said they had two bikes. if you rode crystal gray and they didn't have a blue...

wondering if the graphite looks like black or dark gray, and what you thought of it.

thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
The tire pressure reader is included. The silver and graphite GT's are at Daytona,at the demo ride site. I saw them both as well as being allowed to sit on them. Ihad to go to work on Monday so I was unable to take a demo ride. A very comfortable machine.

·
Registered
192 Posts
diggitydogg said:
ruben, you said they had two bikes. if you rode crystal gray and they didn't have a blue...

wondering if the graphite looks like black or dark gray, and what you thought of it.

thanks
They had two GT's at Daytona, and will through Friday of this week. The Dark Graphite Metallic one with ESA is the one that I rode. It had heated grips, heated seats, cruise control, but standard height windscreen. It too looked much better in the sunlight than the pictures would indicate. It made my heart beat fast for sure, but the blond (Crystal Grey Metallic) seduced me! :D

The Crystal Grey Metallic one did NOT have ESA, the preload adjusting knob looked pretty easy to get at, but I didn't look that over carefully, as I have mine ordered with ESA.

If the only one available to me was the dark graphite metallic, I'd grab it in a heartbeat. I'd bet that it will outsell both other colors combined, by a fair margin. They were both mighty handsome machines, and I'd have traded my Goldwing for either of them on the spot, had they been willing. :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
eljeffe said:
Tire Pressure Monitor - uses sensors to determine the current tire pressure and warn the rider with an indicator in the new dash. It's not a pressure display, but more a red light, yellow light, no light thing.

Brake Pad Wear Indicator - uses sensors to determine if the brake pads need replacing. No more waiting for that 12K service to see you are 2mm past the safe point. ;)

Automatic Heated Grips - uses the on-board computer to determine the ambient temperature and adjust the heated grips automatically.
Tire pressure monitor: May be useful to warn of a fast leak.

Brake Pad Wear Indicator: Essentially pointless. It should be easy to have a look at the pads every few weeks to see their wear condition. Maybe it is not so easy as my old K100, where you just pop a plastic cover off, but it still can't be all that hard to see how close the backing plate is to the disk.

Automatic Heated Grips: Completely worthless! Exactly what is so hard about flipping a switch when your hands are getting cool?

Bob.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts