BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd pop on here and ask for some suggestions to help with my list.
Next spring I'm thinking of a long-ish trip and wanted to do some winter month tinkering to the old girl over the coming dark winter evenings. My K1200GT (05), I've had her from new and done nearly 100k miles, but the last few years I've not done much, so some TLC is needed. My list I'm working on is below and I'm thinking of things as I go, seems every little job I do, I think of a new one.
Anyone got suggestions, I changed her clutch at 60k, new wheel bearings a few years ago. Maybe there are some obvious things or some obscure things that get me thinking that I can do, even some nice upgrades that would benefit a long trip that some people have found or worked out. I'm hands on, so not afraid to turn up stuff on my lathe or take to things with my welder. (the screen adjuster item is that when I press the button either way it cycles through up and down, so works but needs striping and looking at, sure it's not a problem)
Font Number Screenshot Document

· Premium Member
two K1300S bikes, S1000R & Vespa 150 Primavera clown paint job
1,553 Posts
Are we talking in line or transverse GT, my parts thing for 05 leaves me wondering. I have thoughts on both.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So this is my list now (see picture at bottom). I had a budget of £500 this year, I do all things myself but the list of parts to achieve my 'to do', comes to just over £1000. A bit steep for this year, maybe next year I'll have a £300 budget and start doing the 'nice to have' things then.
Front shock; 383
Oil sight glass; 27
oxy sensor; 120
Battery: 94
Rr brake disc; 95 (used)
pads 17
plugs 24
fr brake hose kit; 78
rear brake hose kit 155
clutch hose; 45

the items in bold I definitely want to do. the clutch and brake fluid was quite dark and the hoses are original, so I'm thinking they will be breaking down somewhat. Battery is the second one for the bike since new, so that's a given. Cannot see in the oil sight glass and the rear disc is worn (original, not bad).
As for the oxy sensor, it's a nice to have but mine works ATM. Front shock works but I've heard a lot about how people say it makes a massive difference to handling and again, mines done 100k.miles.
So any thoughts on these? I go to:
for all my parts.

Font Number Screenshot Document Parallel

· Premium Member
618 Posts
I'm puzzled at the oil sight glass replacement, I have 117,000 miles on my '02 RS and my sight glass is still good. I'd take that money and put it towards an O2 sensor. Yours may work ATM but out on a big trip if it goes bad you can watch your fuel gauge race towards empty, like 19mpg...trust me, I just went through this nightmare last year.
*Braided brake pipes...Yes Not sure anyone make that for the clutch.
*Go with authentic Iridium plugs too, there are fakes out there so do your research on how to tell.
*Pull your air box off when replacing the air filter and replace all the vacuum hoses, it's hot in there, they get brittle and crack. I replaced mine with good automotive hose, 2' should be plenty. Check and tighten manifold clamps as need while you're there.
*If you go with new tire install new valve stems while your at it.
Enjoy the new Season!

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm puzzled at the oil sight glass replacement, I have 117,000 miles on my '02 RS and my sight glass is still good. I'd take that money and put it towards an O2 sensor. Yours may work ATM but out on a big trip if it goes bad you can watch your fuel gauge race towards empty, like 19mpg...trust me, I just went through this nightmare last year.
*Braided brake pipes...Yes Not sure anyone make that for the clutch.
*Go with authentic Iridium plugs too, there are fakes out there so do your research on how to tell.
*Pull your air box off when replacing the air filter and replace all the vacuum hoses, it's hot in there, they get brittle and crack. I replaced mine with good automotive hose, 2' should be plenty. Check and tighten manifold clamps as need while you're there.
*If you go with new tire install new valve stems while your at it.
Enjoy the new Season!
Some good reminders in there, thanks. Especially like the mention of the vacuum hoses. Took the air box off last year because (long story short), had cruise control issues. Putting it back on was a pain in the bum and I got cuts all over my hand doing that and getting it right. I cleaned them up then and they looked good, so may not replace them.
I'm equally as puzzled about the sight glass, I put another thread on here asking exactly that and most said buy a new one, easy to replace. I honestly cannot see a thing through it and it irritates. I will have one more look at it when I drain the sump to do a service, otherwise £27 well spent.
the old o2 sensor, I'm on the fence with this one still. £120! if it was £20, no problem. Just seems a lot for something so simple, but 100k is a lot of miles and I know what it's like to switch that off. (Pyrenees trip with high altitude meant turning all off). But yes, the trip will be about 2k miles, not massive, but would be a pain in the bum if that gave up. Maybe I'll look around and see if I can get a cheaper one, can't go second hand, it'll have to be new.
thanks for response.

· Premium Member
618 Posts
Some good reminders in there, thanks. Especially like the mention of the vacuum hoses. Took the air box off last year because (long story short), had cruise control issues. Putting it back on was a pain in the bum and I got cuts all over my hand doing that and getting it right. I cleaned them up then and they looked good, so may not replace them.
I'm equally as puzzled about the sight glass, I put another thread on here asking exactly that and most said buy a new one, easy to replace. I honestly cannot see a thing through it and it irritates. I will have one more look at it when I drain the sump to do a service, otherwise £27 well spent.
the old o2 sensor, I'm on the fence with this one still. £120! if it was £20, no problem. Just seems a lot for something so simple, but 100k is a lot of miles and I know what it's like to switch that off. (Pyrenees trip with high altitude meant turning all off). But yes, the trip will be about 2k miles, not massive, but would be a pain in the bum if that gave up. Maybe I'll look around and see if I can get a cheaper one, can't go second hand, it'll have to be new.
thanks for response.
I get it on the sight glass if you can't see through it, first I've heard of this issue here. In that case yeah, replace it, I thought you were talking of a potential leak issue. BTW- I mis-spoke earlier. The O2 sensor that faild in two months was NOT an NTK, but a sensor made in Spain, the name escapes me now. NTK is a good sensor I believe is a sister company of NGK. Look on eBay for a low mileage salvaged O2 sensor, they're cheap!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts