BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know summer is almost over, which I figure is a good time to find summer riding gear on sale.

What are you guys wearing for protection in the hot summer months?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hot weather gear

BMW Summer pants with knee armor, Hein Gericke mesh jacket with elbow, shoulder and back armor, perforated leather summer riding gloves and mid calf leather boots.

And a flip up helmet with good air flow.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
BMW Venting Machine jacket (discontinued). Pretty good. It is still hot while standing at a stop light in the sun, but the airflow is very good when moving.

Held Air gloves. Highly recommended. They fit, well, like a glove. Plain leather palms with no padding, mesh on top with small leather knuckle pads for some protection. Much better protection and durability than the Tourmaster AirFlow gloves I used to wear. My last pair (before the Held gloves) wore out in less than two weeks - they always wear a hole on my clutch finger.

Olympia AirGlide 2 Pants. Not Recommended. Very good airflow, but not recommended because the knee pads always twist inwards and leave your kneecaps partially unprotected. This is a common problem for the AirGlide 2s. Olympia's owner tries to argue that they turn forward in a real accident, but I don't buy it. I wear it over denims, and have never used the waterproof insulated liner, because it doesn't get cold enough here. I'm looking for something better (that fits).

BMW Silver Function 3 Shirt and Silver Function 2 long sleeve shirt. Good, but not worth the price. Much better than the cotton T-shirts I used to wear under my jacket, but I bet that there is something similar and better out there. The good: Very comfortable, great airflow, great perspiration handling, fast air dry after washing, and they don't stink no matter how long (or how often) you wear them between washings. The bad: the fabric started "pilling" into little balls (as a sweater does) almost from the start. I don't know why. I think it may be rubbing on the inside of the Venting Machine jacket. Nevertheless, for the price, it should stay looking good for a long time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anybody know about the AirFlow 3 jacket?

Looks like what I'm looking for... just worried it will be too hot.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm not sure about airflow-3. I went from an air-flow 2 to venting machine. mainly because the air-flow 2 sucked. Venting machine is a good jacket... as long as your moving. I still use the air-flow 2 pants though ... they're fine just the jacket design was bad. Since I live in Florida Summer gear is what I wear for most of the year. BMW sneaker boots 2 are nice and light and provide good protection, if you can still find them.... the newest sneaker boots went up by more then $50. In my opinion they are not worth the price , for that money I would get the sidi or oxtar ones. For gloves, I use joe rocket vented gloves. My helmet is a Nolan N-com N-42.

Bill
87 K75S

·
2 heads are better than 1
284 Posts
Olympia Bushwhacker jacket and AirGlide pants.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
A BIG :thumb: on the Olympia products. Absolutely quality stuff at much more affordable pricing than the BMW products. I own both and never use the BMW stuff any more.

I use this to 90 degrees or so, after that it's just hot no matter what you are wearing:

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/ast_mens/ast_mens.htm

And these down to about 30 degrees with layering:

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/mensairglidepant/menairglidepant.htm

Never had a problem with any of the pads being out of place.

Been through snow, hail, monsoonal rain, wind, 15 to 115 degrees etc etc. No problems. I do however carry a different pair of solid insulated pants if I know it's going to be real cool for the whole day.

·
2 heads are better than 1
284 Posts
I have the AST jacket and Ranger pants for the cooler seasons as well as the other gear I mentioned. I am absolutely satisfied with both!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts