BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have some curiosity about Super Bike Schools. I have always wanted to go to one, I just think they would be a great time. I live on east coast and seen that Keith Cody does one here in virginia and one in Ohio each year. My questions are; do you use your bike or theirs, I would imagine you need to have a complete set of leathers. and is it worth it. It surely looks like it would be. What do you need to show up at the track? Any info and opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
828 Posts
leathers and super bike schools

Regarding the leathers. I would assume it would carry the same requirements that any track would have. Gotta have leathers that zip together or a 1-piece suit. My assumption is the school would perfer that you have a 1-piece suit.

My suggestion, if you are going to get serious about sport riding, then you should invest in a good set of riding leathers. Consider this bit of information: skin graph ~4 grand and painful. Good 1-piece leather suit ~1-2 grand (only painful when you make the purchase and need to pee)!

ONON-
Mark

·
Registered
57 Posts
magellan44 said:
Hello all,

I have some curiosity about Super Bike Schools. I have always wanted to go to one, I just think they would be a great time. I live on east coast and seen that Keith Cody does one here in virginia and one in Ohio each year. My questions are; do you use your bike or theirs, I would imagine you need to have a complete set of leathers. and is it worth it. It surely looks like it would be. What do you need to show up at the track? Any info and opinions are appreciated.
Dude , V.I.R.has a website that will give you all you need . They have track-days . I've done a couple of schools ,, do a couple of track-days before you take a school . It will make a school easier to take in if you have some track time . I'm going down to that track in March . I'm not sure of the local guys that do the trackdays there but I can find out . Jason Pridmore has a school that I took this year in Loudon , NH . it was a blast and Jason is cool as shit !! Look around on the VIR web site ,, you'll find out all kinds of stuff there . I'm sure that a track like that will have a school a couple of times next year ,, but do a T_D first ,, trust me it will be well worth it .
Yes a set of leathers should be a must for every rider . You DON'T have to spend a lot of money on leathers ,, my suit cost $500 . My buddys company made for me ,,, but there are
great leathers out there . Do a search of MOTOPHORIA ,, thats my buddy's company ,, great stuff at fair prices and his stuff WORKS ,,, he's worn just about every thing he sells . ( He's an enthusiast )
My set have served me well for about 5 years now

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have come close to taking Keith Code's Cornering School at Mid-Ohio a couple times. Time or money were the culprit each time. When I researched it, you could choose to ride your bike (new or nearly new tires, lights removed or taped, Water Wetter in place of coolant, and I think a few bolts safety wired) or rent one of their Kawasaki 600s. They also rented leathers. One advantage of their school is that it is a "cornering school" not a racing school, so your insurance should still be valid. I am still hoping to do this someday!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Superbike school

http://www.superbikeschool.com/ Here's the link. I took it out here in Northern California. You can ride your bike or theirs, and the same goes for leathers. There is a deposit required if you use theirs. It was well worth it and as soon as I have some more time ($$$), I'll take the next course level.

·
Registered
106 Posts
code

It looks great - Vegas looks like a good venue...who cares which bike; might be kind of fun on a smaller sport. That Cornering comment was perfect, and the web site has some very interesting commentary - almost as good as "Twist-2"...

We should all have a go at improving our skills; easy to be cocky on a K.
I remember there was a previous (Dutch/Dane?) member, who raced his RS, sparks and all...all good.

·
Registered
386 Posts
IMHO the only way to go is to spend the 600 and ride their ZX6. The difference between your bike or theirs will not get you a pair of tires and the anti-freeze dumped.

dunno where you live, but I would chose VIR because it is..........VIR.

they used to have rental leathers available at every school. Check into that.

cost twice as much as a traffic lawyer, or half as much as an emergency room visit.....definately worth the money!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I went to the two day California Superbike School in October at The Streets of Willow Springs. I'm going back just as soon as they post their 2006 schedule. The school is outstanding, and not only helps you ride smoother and corner better, but more importantly makes you a SAFER rider. The school supplies the leathers and the bikes. They even supply the helmet if you don't have one. If you can find anyone who's attended that school who doesn't rave about it I'll be surprised. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Keith Code has a great program. Been three times. I ended up buying my own 2 pc leathers and one piece suit from newenough.com at ebay. RENT THEIR BIKE. Riding their 600cc machines is the only way to go. No worries, loads more fun and responsiveness. You WILL be a better, safer rider after some track time with Code.
Jim

·
Registered
212 Posts
Keith Code Superbike School

Earlier post said, "no worries", but if I'm not mistaken, if you dump one of their bikes you will have to pay for some, (all??) of the damage. I have been a volunteer corner worker for the Code school at Mid Ohio.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
super bike school

Thanks guys,

This is what I was looking for, information. I will take all of your opinions and give them some thought. I believe that having some track time would be a good idea. I live close enough to Beaver Run Motorsports complex in Beaver Falls Pa. that track time should not be a problem. I will have to get a schedule and find out their rules. I have only been on a track one time and that was with a corvette. I guess I have a bit of learning to do about the whole track days and schools. I will also have some time to look at the leathers that are available. The Motophoria leathers do seem pretty nice and at a reasonable price. I have never been big on one piece suits but if that is required I guess I will have to go that way. Hopefully a zipped together 2 piece will be ok. I can see why a one piece is prefered over a 2 piece.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sure , do the two piece ! Thats what I have . It does zip together 3/4 the way around .
Its works for me ,, sometimes for a short ride I'll just wear the jacket ,, so the two piece is the way to go .

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've been to CSS 6 times. Rented their bike and leathers the first 2 times. If you crash it it will cost you $750 for the bike and $75 for the leathers in damage costs. I loved it so much I bought my own leathers and track only ZX-6R for track days. Been doing that for 2 years now. I have seen K's, R's, Harleys, you name it at the schools. If you want to improve your skills this is a great place to start. Makes MSF courses look like kindergarten.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is the $750 the deposit, or is this in addition to - if you use their bike? Will be doing a track day sponsored by local dealer at Loudon, and then will start with a one day w/Code at Loudon. Other choice is Pocono, it is further away - pros/cons between the two tracks? Their 2006 schedule is out, do classes fill up fast?

·
Registered
34 Posts
magellan44 said:
I have some curiosity about Super Bike Schools. My questions are; do you use your bike or theirs,
Both are good. Keep in mind whether your insurance company will cover you if a mishap occurs. It is a riding school, not a race school. Even so, some will, some won't.

I've seen people take schools on R1100 RT, Honda ST1100, even a Gold Wing. I've taken all my schools except one using my own bike. The reality is that you're not there to race, but to learn to improve skills. Best learning occurs at 6/10ths or 7/10ths intensity. If you keep this in mind, you'll be ok and improve a bunch.

Schools generally run a tight ship and I know Keith Code does. Corner workers are vigilant. They quickly reel in anyone who is riding dangerously for himself or others. Track days are different. Sometimes you can be involved in a crash as a result of someone else's mistake.

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
Gerbing Heated JACKET LINER Review
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides/product_evals/gerbing/liner.htm
:

·
Registered
34 Posts
magellan44 said:
My questions are; do you use your bike or theirs,
If you take your own bike and it's a touring bike, I wouldn't worry about tire wear much. At the intensity that you will be riding, you will not be wearing out tires anymore than going out for a brisk afternoon of twisties. The only real wear that you'll get is from accelerating on the straights. And you can control that.

Speaking of accelerating on the straights: My suggestion is to hold back some. Hard acceleration will take much of your attention. What you want is to use your time on the straight as thinking time. Ie think about how the last corner went and what you want to do differently next corner. Also think about the upcoming corner.

If you are throttle-to-the-stop on the straights, you will learn and improve much less. BTW, this is in line with Code's $10 bill of attention principle. I've use that principle in my own activites and have used it often when teaching other attention-demanding sports.

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
:

·
Registered
34 Posts
magellan44 said:
I would imagine you need to have a complete set of leathers.
Many schools will accept good textile gear if you can zip the jacket to the pants. Check with them. You can also rent school leathers.

What do you need to show up at the track?
Check with each school. They have different requirements. Typically no antifreeze is one of them. But very few require safery wiring.

Is it worth it?
You'll improve your riding skills. And what you learn comes to the street with you so you can continue to practice and improve.

You improve faster if you start from a blank slate than if you have to first unlearn bad habits. That's 'cause we're always learning. If we practice wrong technique, we are drilling in the wrong technique. Based on this, I would start with a riding school before doing a track day. Then, when you come to a track day, you will have some skills and concepts to practice with.

Hope that helps,

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
:

·
Registered
440 Posts
California Superbike School

Took the class at Texas Motorsports Ranch about 3 years ago. Unless things have changed.....

You can rent their leathers for $75, or ride in your own leather or textile suit with armor. I would ride in my own stuff next time.

Cost you $200 to ride their bike, max of $750 if you wreck their bike.

Your own insurance might not cover you, and then again it might. But....you are running up a red flag with them if you call and ask.

First class is "4th gear, no brakes", so maybe those long straightaways look tempting, but you gotta make the turn ahead without hitting the brakes. You take everything forward and add something else to it in each session, untill the last track session when anything goes.

You can pass anywhere on the track, using the 8 ft. rule, inside or outside.

Everyone who has never attended a track school will be in the beginner class at CSS. We had guys who raced at local tracks in our class. The first time they pass you, it scares the shit out of you, cause you don't have any mirrors!! Then you get used to it. Some of those guys were just out there to maybe learn a little, but mostly for the track time, of so it seemed.

You run off the track, even slightly, you are through for the day....period. They make you push your bike back to the staging area, you can't ride it back on the track. I saw several guys run off the track. My goal toward the end of the day was to finish ON THE TRACK!

And last......read Keith Code's book "Twist of the Wrist II". That is what they teach you in the class, and don't bother with the original "Twist of the Wrist".

Now go out and have some fun cause it's a blast!! I will change the way you ride.

·
Registered
34 Posts
DallasKRSRider said:
My goal toward the end of the day was to finish ON THE TRACK!
:):)

But seriously. There's no reason to go off track. The corners are predictable, you know them. It's not like you're suddenly surprised by a decreasing radius corner. You go in progressively faster so that you can feel when you're beginning to push. When you start going in hotter, you're no longer at 7/10ths where peak learning occurs. You become scraggly, less consistent, and learn little. That's when you risk going off track. :eek:

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
CBR 929
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides
:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts