BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a great day. I just got my bike back from the dealer. I have an 04 GT and they replaced the very expensive 166 ECU with the correct 296 ECU under warranty. The bike now has absolutely no cold starting issue. If you hit the throttle, you better be holding on.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Came from the factory that way. The 166 ECU has the cold starting problems. If your bike is under warranty, BMW should replace it with the 296 ECU.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I don't have cold starting problems; can I assume that mine has been replaced? How can I be sure?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JIS said:
I don't have cold starting problems; can I assume that mine has been replaced? How can I be sure?
Have the dealer (or yourself) check the ECU part number ON the bike. The bad ECU's number ends with 166. The good ECU number ends with 296. If you bike is under warranty, take it to them and have them replace it. It's super expensive to replace.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
JIS said:
IF you don't have a cold starting issue, where you start the bike cold (not cold weather), twist the throttle 1/8 turn, and the engine stumbles or even dies. If it doesn't exhibit this problem, keep the ECU you have. Not all of the early ones had issues, but sufficient that they changed the part number for the replacement to track it. But, if you hadn't noticed it because you have a tendency to let the bike warm up to "operating" temperature, you might have masked the problem.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
192 Posts
So exactly how can I check the ECU; where exactly is it; I assume it's a chip on a PCB somewhere?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts